Method of Assessing Social Benefits of the Development of Inland Shipping Infrastructure in Poland
Treść / Zawartość
Transport is one of the most important sectors of the national economy, which completes the manufacturing sector, is essential to the development of trade, and also has an impact on the population social development, i.e. the development of tourism and reduction of unemployment. Additionally, it enhances regional development and provides access to various services. On the other hand, transport creates significant external costs, which are wholly or partly covered by the public. The highest costs are generated by road transport, much lower by inland shipping, railway and sea transport.1 Although there is a common consensus concerning the overall objectives: dealing with “fair and efficient pricing”, a transport system contributing to “a smart, sustainable and inclusive economy”, their practical realization encounters many problems and is far from straightforward. There are some publications relating to the valuation of external costs of inland shipping [4,5] but none of them analyzes specific aspects of inland waterway transport in Poland. This paper deals with the problem of assessing the benefits of the waterway infrastructure development in Poland and the proposed method of assessing the external costs of road and inland waterway transport, as an essential element in the assessment of the social benefits of each infrastructure investment.
Bibliogr. 32 poz., rys., tab.
-  BROWNE D., RYAN L. Comparative analysis of evaluation techniques for transport policies, Environmental Impact Assessment Review 31, pp 226–233, 2011.
-  JESTIN L., WYRWA A., STĘŻAŁY A., ZYŚK J., PLUTA M., ŚLIŻ B. Environmental Challenges of the Polish Energy Sector, Polish Journal of Environmental Studies 19 (2), pp 331-335, 2010.
-  VAN ESSEN H., NELISSEN D., SMIT M., VAN GRINSVEN A., AARNINK S., BREEMERSCH T., MARTINO A., ROSA C., PAROLIN R., HARMSEN J. An inventory of measures for internalizing, external costs in transport, European Commission Directorate-General for Mobility and Transport DM 28 - 0/110 – Archives, B-1049: Brussels, 2012.
-  PANIS L. I., DE VLIEGER I., JANSEN B., TORFS R., CORNELIS E., DE NOCKER L., Air pollution impacts of inland shipping: two case studies, Urban Transport IX: Urban Transport and the Environment in The 21st Century, Advances in Transport, Vol. 14, 2003.
-  PANIS L. I., DE NOCKER, L., TORFS R., WUYTS H., External costs of heavy-duty vehicles for goods transport and buses, Urban Transport VI, Urban Transport and the Environment for the 21st Century, Advances in Transport, Vol. 6, 2000.
-  KOTOWSKA. I., Method of assessing the impact of Polish container terminals in reducing the external costs of transport, Promet-Traffic & Transportation, 25.1., 2013.
-  BĄK M. et. al., Costs and fees in transport, WUG: Gdańsk, 2009 [In Polish].
-  Towards fair and efficient pricing in transport, Policy options for internalizing the external costs of transport in the European Union, European Commission, Directorate-General For Transport-DG VII , COM(95)691
-  White Paper, European transport policy for 2010: Time to decide, Brussels, COM(2001) 370 final.
-  Proposal for a Regulation of the European Parliament And of the Council, on the granting of Community financial assistance to improve the environmental performance of the freight transport system, Commission of the European Communities, Brussels, COM(2002)54 final, 2002/0038 (COD).
-  NASH C. Unification of accounts and marginal costs for Transport Efficiency, EU project: Leeds, 2003.
-  Real Cost Reduction of Door-to-door Intermodal Transport, EU project, 2003.
-  External costs of transport. Update Study, INFRAS/IWW: Zurich/Karlruhe, 2004.
-  Ex ante Evaluation Marco Polo II (2007-2013), Final Report-1, European Commission, DG TREN, Ecorys: Rotterdam, 2004.
-  BICKEL P., FRIEDRICH R., BURGESS A., FAGIANI P., HUNT A., DE JONG G., LAIRD J., LIEB C., LINDBERG G., MACKIE P., NAVRUD S., ODGAARD T., RICCI A., SHIRES J., TAVASSZY L., Developing Harmonised European Approaches for Transport Costing and Project Assessment, Proposal for Harmonised Guidelines, IER, 2006.
-  Guide to cost-benefit analysis of investment projects. Structural Funds, Cohesion Fund and Instrument for Pre-Accession; Final report of TRT Trasporti e Territorio and CSIL Centre for Industrial Studies, 2008.
-  Blue Book; New edition; Airborne Transport, JASPERS, 2008.
-  Blue Book; New edition; Road infrastructure, JASPERS, 2008.
-  MAIBACH M., SCHREYER C., SUTTER D., VAN ESSEN H.P., BOON B.H., SMOKERS R., SCHROTEN A., DOLL C., PAWŁOWSKA B., BAK M., Handbook on estimation of external costs in the transport sector Produced within the study Internalisation Measures and Policies for All external Cost of Transport, Deft, 2007.
-  External Costs of Energy Conversion : Improvement of the ExternE Methodology and Assessment of Energy-related Transport Externalities, IER: Stuttgart, 1999.
-  LIEB C., SUTER S., BICKEL P. Generalisation of Research on Accounts and Cost Estimation, Environmental Costs in Sensitive Areas, Leeds, ITS, 2006.
-  VAN ESSEN H.P., BOON B.H., DEN BOER L.C., FABER J., VAN DEN BOSSCHE M.A., VERVOORT K.T.H., ROCHEZ C. Marginal costs of Infrastructure use – towards a simplified approach, Delft, 2003.
-  HENDRICKX C., BREEMERSCH T., The Effect of Climate Change on Inland Waterway Transport, Procedia-Social and Behavioural Sciences 48, 2012.
-  WOŚ K., Development Trends for Inland Waterways in Poland, Polish Journal of Environment Studies, Vol.18, No.5A, Olsztyn, 2009.
-  Emission Inventory Guidebook 2006, Other Mobile Sources & Machinery, B810-23, 2006, [online: http://www.eea.europa.eu]
-  Emission Inventory Guidebook 2007, Road Transport, B710-25, 2007 [online: http://www.eea.europa.eu]
-  Results of Transport Operations; 2010; GUS: Warsaw, 2012. [In Polish]
-  General traffic measurement, 2010; General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways; 2010, [online: http://gddkia.gov.pl/pl/a/9179/generalny-pomiar-ruchu-w-2010-roku]. [In Polish]
-  Eurostat Database, [online: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/tgm/table.do ?tab=table &init=1&plugin=1&language=en&pcode= tsieb020]
-  Program of the development of inland water transport infrastructure in Poland; Part 1 Analysis of the functioning of inland water transport and water tourism in Poland; study commissioned by the Ministry of Infrastructure; Ecorys: Rotterdam, Warsaw, 2011 [in Polish]
-  Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Directive 98/70/WE in regards to the specification of petrol and diesel fuels and introducing a mechanism to monitor and reduce greenhouse gas emissions from the use of road transport fuels and amending the directive of the Council 1999/32/WE in regards to the specification of fuels used by inland waterway vessels and repealing Directive 93/12/EEC; Brussels,2007; COM(2007)18.
-  Council Directive 88/77/EEC of 3 December 1987 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the measures to be taken against the emission of gaseous pollutants from diesel engines for use in vehicles, with further amendments