Non-destructive investigation of corrosion current density in steel reinforced concrete by artificial neural networks
Wybrane pełne teksty z tego czasopisma
Corrosion of the steel reinforcement in concrete is an important problem for the civil engineering. Inspection techniques are needed to assess the corrosion in order to protect and repair concrete structures. Many studies were performed to establish a series of corrosion rate assessment methods. A method of providing a direct evaluation of the corrosion rate by corrosion current density measurement is Linear Polarisation Resistance (LPR). The main drawback is that it requires a localised breakout of the concrete cover. The corrosion of the steel reinforcement is monitored by measuring the resistivity of the concrete. The purpose of this paper is to use the resistivity four-probe method and galvanostatic resistivity measurement together with neural networks to assess the corrosion rate of steel in concrete without a direct connection to the reinforcement. Three parameters determined by two non-destructive resistivity methods together with the air temperature were employed as input variables, and corrosion current density, predicted by the destructive LPR method, acted as the output variable. The results shows that it is possible to predict corrosion current density in steel reinforced concrete by using the model based on artificial neural networks on the basis of parameters determined by two non-destructive resistivity measurement techniques.
Bibliogr. 42 poz., rys., tab., wykr.
-  X. Shia, N. Xiec, K. Fortunea, J. Gongd, Durability of steel reinforced concrete in chloride environments: an overview, Construction and Building Materials 30 (2012) 125–138.
-  T. Blaszczynski, The influence of crude oil products on RC structure destruction, Journal of Civil Engineering and Management 17 (1) (2011) 146–156.
-  R. Melchers, Modelling immersion corrosion of structural steels in natural fresh and brackish waters, Corrosion Science 48 (2006) 4174–4201.
-  J. Liu, Y. Lin, X. Li, Numerical simulation for carbon steel flow-induced corrosion in high-velocity flow seawater, Anti-Corrosion Methods and Materials 55 (2008) 66–72.
-  M. Hajeeh, Estimating corrosion: a statistical approach, Materials & Design 24 (2003) 509–518.
-  C. Andrade, C. Alonso, Test methods for on-site corrosion rate measurement of steel reinforcement in concrete by means of the polarization resistance method, Materials and Structures 37 (2004) 623–643.
-  S. Millard, Measuring the corrosion rate of reinforced concrete using linear polarization resistance, Concrete (2003) 36–38.
-  M. Grantham, M. Associates, H. Barnet, J. Broomfield, The use of linear polarisation corrosion rate measurements in aiding rehabilitation options for the deck slabs of a reinforced concrete underground car park, Construction and Building Materials 11-4 (1997) 215–224.
-  D. Law, S. Millard, J. Bungey, Linear polarisation resistance measurements using a potentiostatically controlled guard ring, NDT&E International 1 (2000) 15–21.
-  F. Wenner, A method of measuring earth resistivity, Bulletin of the Bureau of Standards 12 (1912) 469–478.
-  U. Angst, B. Elsener, C. Larsen, O. Vennesland, Chloride induced reinforcement corrosion: rate limiting step of early pitting corrosion, Electrochimica Acta 56 (2011) 5877–5889.
-  B. Hope, A. Ip, D. Manning, Corrosion and electrical impedance in concrete, Cement and Concrete Research 15-3 (1985) 525–534.
-  J. Gulikers, Theoretical considerations on the supposed linear relationship between concrete resistivity and corrosion rate of steel reinforcement, Materials and Corrosion 56 (5) (2005) 393–403.
-  W. Morris, A. Vico, M. Vazquez, S. de Sanchez, Corrosion of reinforcing steel evaluated by means of concrete resistivity measurements, Corrosion Science 44 (1) (2002) 81–99.
-  A. Ramezanianpour, A. Pilvar, M. Mahdikhani, F. Moodi, Practical evaluation of relationship between concrete resistivity, water penetration, rapid chloride penetration and compressive strength, Construction and Building Materials 25 (5) (2011) 2472–2479.
-  W. McCarter, G. Starrs, S. Kandasami, R. Jones, M. Chrisp, Electrode configurations for resistivity measurements on concrete, ACI Materials Journal 106 (3) (2009) 258–264.
-  A. Schuetze, W. Lewis, C. Brown, W. Geerts, A laboratory on the four-point probe technique, American Journal of Physics 72 (2) (2004) 149.
-  L. Sadowski, New non-destructive method for linear polarisation resistance corrosion rate measurement, Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering 10 (2) (2010) 109–116.
-  J. Hola, M. Ksiazek, Research on usability of sulphur polymer composite for corrosion protection of reinforcing steel in concrete, Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering 9 (1) (2009) 47–59.
-  M. Ksiazek, The experimental and innovative research on usability of sulphur polymer composite for corrosion protection of reinforcing steel and concrete, Composites. Part B: Engineering 42 (5) (2011) 1084–1096.
-  T. Blaszczynski, Assessment of RC structures influenced by crude oil products, Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering 11 (1) (2011) 5–17.
-  S. Haykin, Neural Networks: A Comprehensive Foundation, Prentice Hall, 1999.
-  J. Hola, K. Schabowicz, New technique of nondestructive assessment of concrete strength using artificial intelligence, NDT&E International 38 (2005) 251–259.
-  N. Langaros, M. Papadrakakis, Neural network based prediction schemes of the non-linear seismic response of 3D buildings, Advances in Engineering Software 44 (2012) 92–115.
-  A. Kaveh, M. Ahangaran, Discrete cost optimization of composite floor system using social harmony search model, Applied Soft Computing 12 (2012) 372–381.
-  B. Hola, K. Schabowicz, Estimation of earthworks execution time cost by means of artificial neural networks, Automation in Construction 19 (2010) 570–579.
-  V. Kappatos, A.N. Chamos, S.G. Pantelakis, Assessment of the effect of existing corrosion on the tensile behaviour of magnesium alloy AZ31 using neural networks, Materials & Design 31 (2010) 336–342.
-  M. Shaw, S. Millard, T. Molyneaux, M. Taylor, J. Bungey, Location of steel reinforcement in concrete using ground penetrating radar and neural networks, NDT&E International 38 (3) (2005) 203–212.
-  T. Parthiban, R. Ravi, G.T. Parthiban, S. Srinivasan, K.R. Ramakrishnan, M. Raghavan, Neural network analysis for corrosion of steel in concrete, Corrosion Science 47 (2005) 1625–1642.
-  S. He, Y. Zou, D. Quan, H. Wang, Application of RBF neural network and ANFIS on the prediction of corrosion rate of pipeline steel in soil, Recent Advances in Computer Science and Information Engineering, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering 124 (2012) 639–644.
-  I. Topcu, A. Boga, F. Hocaoglu, Modelling corrosion currents of reinforced concrete using ANN, Automation in Construction 18 (2009) 145–152.
-  Y. Wen, C. Cai, X. Liu, J. Pei, X. Zhu, T. Xiao, Corrosion rate prediction of 3C steel under different seawater environment by using support vector regression, Corrosion Science 51 (2009) 349–355.
-  R. Eberhart, Computational intelligence PC tools, in: Proceedings of AP Professional, New York, 1996.
-  K. Halawa, A method to improve the performance of multilayer perceptron by utilizing various activation functions in the last hidden layer and the least squares method, Neural Processing Letters 34 (3) (2011) 293–303.
-  G. Panchal, A. Ganatra, P. Kosta, D. Panchal, Behaviour analysis of multilayer perceptrons with multiple hidden neurons and hidden layers, International Journal of Computer Theory and Engineering 3 (2) (2011) 332–337.
-  W. Dawson, R. Wilby, An artificial neural network approach to Rainfall–Runoff modelling, Hydrological Sciences Journal 43 (1) (1998) 47–66.
-  M. Stigler, Francis Galton’s account of the invention of correlation, Statistical Science 4 (2) (1989) 73–79.
-  S. Smith, T. Sincich, Stability over time in the distribution of population forecast errors, Demography 25 (1988) 461–474.
-  D. Rumelhart, G. Hinton, R. Williams, Learning representations by back-propagating errors, Nature 323 (1986) 533–536.
-  W. Chien, L. Chen, C. Wei, H. Hsu, T. Wang, Modeling slump flow of high-performance concrete using back-propagation network, Applied Mechanics and Materials 20 (23) (2010) 838–842.
-  H. Moon, J. Kim, Intelligent crack detecting algorithm on the concrete crack image using neural network, in: Proceedings of the 28th ISARC, Seoul, Korea, 2011, pp. 1461–-1467.
-  B. Taylor, M. Darrah, C. Moats, Verification and validation of neural networks: a sampling of research in progress, in: Kevin L. Priddy, Peter J. Angeline (Eds.), Intelligent Computing: Theory and Applications, Proceedings of SPIE 5103 (2003) 8–16.