Influence of piston ring profiles and oil temperature distribution on cylinder liner lubrication of a marine two-stroke engine
Treść / Zawartość
In the paper a comprehensive model of a piston-ring-cylinder (PRC) system has been presented. The local thickness of the oil film can be compared to height of the combined surface roughness of a cylinder liner and piston rings. Equations describing the mixed lubrication problem based on the empirical mathematical model formulated in works of Patir, Cheng and Greenwood, Tripp have been applied. The main parts of the model have been experimentally verified abroad by the author at the marine engine designing centre. In contrast to the previous papers of the author concerning the PRC system of combustion engines, new calculation results for a marine two-stroke engine have been presented. Firstly the right selection of barrel-shaped sliding surface of piston rings has been analysed. Secondly the influence of oil temperature distribution along the cylinder liner on the lubrication of the PRC system has been assessed. The developed model and software can be useful for optimization of the PRC system design.
Bibliogr. 19 poz., rys., wykr.
-  DEMMERLE, R., BARROW, S., TERRETTAZ, F., JAQUET, D. New insights into the piston running behaviour of “Sulzer” large bore diesel engines. CIMAC Congress. Hamburg 2001.
-  DOWSON, D. Piston assemblies; background and lubrication analysis, engine tribology. Taylor C.M. (ed.). Elsevier Science. 1993, 213-240.
-  GREENWOOD, J., TRIPP, J.H. The contact of two nominally flat rough surfaces. Proc Inst. Mech. Eng. 1971, 185, 625-633.
-  ISKRA, A. Parametry filmu olejowego w węzłach mechanizmu tłokowo-korbowego silnika spalinowego. Wydawnictwo Politechniki Poznańskiej. Poznań 2001.
-  KOSZAŁKA, G. Application of the piston-rings-cylinder kit model in the evaluation of operational changes in blowby flow rate. Eksploatacja i Niezawodność - Maintenance and Reliability. 2010, 4, 72-81.
-  KOSZAŁKA, G., GUZIK, M. Mathematical model of piston ring sealing in combustion engine. Polish Maritime Research. 2014, 4(84), 21, 66-78.
-  LIVANOS, G.A., KYRTATOS, N.P. Friction model of a marine diesel engine piston assembly. Tribology International. 2007, 40, 1441-1453.
-  OFFNER, G. Friction power loss simulation of internal combustion engines considering mixed lubricated radial slider, axial slider and piston to liner contacts. Tribology Transactions. 2013, 56(3), 503-515.
-  PATIR, N., CHENG, H.S. Application of average flow model to lubrication between rough sliding surfaces. Transactions of ASME. 1979, 101.
-  RÄSS, K., AMOSER, M. Progressive development of two-stroke engine tribology. CIMAC Congress. 2007, 83.
-  SERDECKI, W. Badania współpracy elementów układu tłokowo-cylindrowego silnika spalinowego. Wydawnictwo Politechniki Poznańskiej, Poznań 2002.
-  TAMMINEN, J., SANDSTRÖM, C.-E., ANDERSSON, P. Influence of load on the tribological conditions in piston ring and cylinder liner contacts in a medium-speed diesel engine. Tribology International. 2006, 39, 1643-1652.
-  TIAN, T. Dynamic behaviors of piston rings and their practical impact - part II: oil transport, friction, and wear of ring/liner interface and the effects of piston and ring dynamics. Proc. I. Mech. E, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology. 2002, 216, 229-247.
-  Wärtsilä Technology Review, information materials concerning IC engines designed at Wärtsilä company.
-  WOLFF, A. Experimental verification of the model of piston ring pack operation of an internal combustion engine. The Archive of Mechanical Engineering. 2009, LVI, 1, 73-90.
-  WOLFF, A. Numerical analysis of piston ring pack operation of a marine two-stroke engine. Combustion Engines. 2011, 146(3).
-  WOLFF, A. Influence of engine load on piston ring pack operation of a marine two-stroke engine. Journal of KONES Powertrain and Transport. 2012, 19(2), 557-569.
-  WOLFF, A. Simulation based study of the system piston-ring-cylinder of a marine two-stroke engine. Tribology Transactions. 2014, 57(4), 653-667.
-  WOLFF, A. Influence of piston ring pack configuration on blowby and friction losses in a marine two-stroke engine. Combustion Engines. 2017, 170(3), 164-170.