Application of evolutionary algorithm and graph-based method of stress calculation to truss optimization
Evolutionary Computation and Global Optimization 2008 / National Conference (11 ; 2-4.06.2008 ; Szymbark, Poland)
In the paper, the method of optimization of 2-D trusses is discussed. The graph-based method was used for calculation of stresses in the truss bars. Some other papers where graphs are used for truss analysis are cited but usually rather different calculation engines were used. The evolutionary algorithm was utilized for optimization of trusses. The truss topology was assumed. The optimization task consists in changes of the coordinates of the nodes of the truss. An evolutionary approach is characteristic for a non-standard constructional solution (design) search which can be performed analyzing the whole population containing the solutions i.e. the optimal truss as well as other trusses enclosed in a population. There is a possibility that choosing a final truss some personal preferences of a designer can be taken into account. Some exemplary results of own computer program are enclosed.
Bibliogr. 18 poz., tab., rys., wykr.
-  Bentley, P. Aspects of Evolutionary Design by Computers. http://www.cs.ucl.uk//staff/P.Bentley/wc3paper.html
-  Burczyński, T., Kuś, W. Improvements of distributed evolutionary algorithm in optimization of nonlinear structures. In: Methods of Artificial Intelligence (Eds. T. Burczyński, W. Cholewa and W. Moczulski), Gliwice, 2003.
-  Bojczuk, D., Mróz, Z. Optimal topology and configuration design of trusses with stress and buckling constraints, Structural Optimization, 17:25-35, 1999.
-  Deb, K., Gulati, S. Designing of truss-structures for minimum weight using genetic algorithms, Kanpur, India, KanGAL Report No 99001.
-  Erbatur, F. et. al. Optimal design of planar and space structures with genetic algorithms, Computers and Structures, 75:209-224, 2000.
-  De Jong, K., Arciszewski, T., Vyas, H. An overview of evolutionary computation and its application to engineering design. Artificial Intelligence in Structural Engineering, (Editor: A. Borkowski), WNT, Warszawa, 1999.
-  Kaveh, A. Optimal Structural analysis, Research Studies Press Ltd., Taunton, Somerset, England, 1997.
-  Kaveh, A., Kalatjari, V. Topology optimization of trusses using genetic algorithm, force method and graph theory, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 58:771-791, 2003.
-  Kaveh, A., Kalatjari, V. Size/geometry optimization of trusses by the force method and genetic algorithm, ZAMM, 84(5):347-357, 2004.
-  Kawamura, H., Ohmori, H. Computational morpho-genesis of discrete structures via genetic algorithms, Memoirs of the School of Eng., Vol. 53(1/2):28-55, 2001.
-  Mokhatar-Zadeh, A., Kaveh, A. Optimal plastic analysis and design of frames: graph thceoretical methods, Computers and Structures, 77, pp. 485-496, 1999.
-  Pyrz, M. Evolutionary algorithm integrating stress heuristics for truss optimization, Optimization and Engineering, 5:45-57, 2004.
-  Rajan, S.D. Sizing, shape and topology optimization of trusses using genetic algorithm, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 121(10):1480-1487, 1995.
-  Topping, B.H.V. Shape optimization of skeletal structures: a review, Journal of Structural Eng., Vol. 109(8):1933-1951, 1983.
-  Wang, D., Zhang, W.H., Jiang, J.S. Combined shape and sizing optimization of truss structures, Computational Mechanics, 29:307-312, 2002.
-  Wojnarowski, J., Bogucki, Z. Mechanics - lecture notes with the appendix of solved examples, Static considerations (in Polish), Silesian TU, Gliwice, 1991.
-  Zawiślak, S. et al. Some Applications of Graph Transformations in Modeling of Mechanical Systems, Workshop on Graph Transformations, 332-345, Budapest 2008.
-  Zawiślak, S. (supervisor); Jagosz, A. Evolutionary design of trusses (in Polish), MSc. Thesis, University of Bielsko-Biała, 2006.