Distance-based localization scheme for ad hoc network
Evolutionary Computation and Global Optimization 2008 / National Conference (11 ; 2-4.06.2008 ; Szymbark, Poland)
Recently, we proposed a centralized distance-based technique TSA (Trilateration & Simulated Annealing) that uses a combination of the trilateration method, along with the simulated annealing optimization algorithm for performing localization of nodes in an ad hoc network with static nodes (Wireless Sensor Networks). Our location scheme depends on network nodes transmitting data to a central computer, where calculation is performed to determine the estimated location of each node. Although it achieves high accuracy in estimating sensors' locations, speed of the method can not be satisfactory for large scale practical applications. It strongly depends on the values of the parameters specific to the algorithm. In this paper we report the results of numerical tests performed for various values of these parameters. On the other hand we propose the distributed version of our technique where each network node estimates its position based on only local data gathered from its neighbors. Finally, we present the comparative study of centralized and distributed schemes.
Bibliogr. 10 poz., tab., rys., wykr.
-  P. Biswas and Y. Ye. Semidefinite programming for ad hoc wireless sensor network localization. In IPSN'04: Proceedings of the third international symposium on Information processing in sensor networks, pages 46-54, New York, NY, USA, 2004. ACM Press.
-  J. Hightower and G. Borriello. Localization systems for ubiquitous computing. IEEE Computer, 34(8), 2001.
-  A.A. Kannan, G. Mao, and B. Vucetic. Simulated annealing based localization in wireless sensor network. In LCN'05: Proceedings of the The IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks 30th Anniversary, pages 513-514, Washington, DC, USA, 2005. IEEE Computer Society.
-  A.A. Kannan, G. Mao, and B. Vucetic. Simulated annealing based wireless sensor network localization with flip ambiguity mitigation. In 63rd IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, page 1022-1026, 2006.
-  K. Pister, L. Doherty and L. El Ghaoui. Convex postion estimation in wireless sensor networks. In IEEE INFOCOM, pages 1655-1663, 2001.
-  G. Mao, B. Fidan, and B.D.O. Anderson. Wireless sensor network localization techniques. Computer Networks: The International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Networking, 51(10):2529-2553, 2007.
-  M. Marks and E. Niewiadomska-Szynkiewicz. Genetic algorithm and simulated annealing approach to sensor network localization. In Proceedings of the KAEiOG'07 Conference, pages 193-202. WUT press, 2007.
-  M. Marks and E. Niewiadomska-Szynkiewicz. Two-phase stochastic optimization to sensor network localization. In SENSORCOMM 2007: Proceedings of the International Conference on Sensor Technologies and Applications, pages 134-139. IEEE Computer Society, 2007.
-  D. Niculescu and B. Nath. Ad hoc positioning system (aps), 2001.
-  Y. Shang, W. Ruml, Y. Zhang, and M. Fromherz. Localization from connectivity in sensor networks. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 15(11):961-974, 2004.