Evolutionary multi-objective optimization of laminates
Evolutionary Computation and Global Optimization 2008 / National Conference (11 ; 2-4.06.2008 ; Szymbark, Poland)
The paper deals with the application of the global optimization methods to the multi-objective optimization of laminates. A multi-layered, fibre-reinforced and hybrid laminates are considered. Different optimization criteria connected with the laminates' cost, modal properties and stiffness are taken into account. As the optimization criteria usually cannot be satisfied simultaneously, the multi-objective optimization methods are employed. The multi-objective evolutionary algorithm with the Pareto approach is used as the global optimization method. The Finite Element Method is used to solve a boundary-value problem for the laminates. The stacking sequence and the number or plies made of different materials are design variables. The discrete as well as continuous fibre orientation angles in particular plies are considered. Numerical example presenting non-dominated solutions for two contradictory optimization criteria is attached.
Bibliogr. 13 poz., tab., rys., wykr.
-  MSC/Nastran User's Guide. MSC Software, 2000.
-  S. Adali, A. Richte, V.E. Verijenko and E.B. Summers. Optimal design of symmetric hybrid laminates with discrete ply angles for maximum buckling load and minimum cost. Composite Structures. 32:409-415, 1995.
-  J.F. Aguilar Madeiraa, H. Rodriguesa, and H. Pinaa. Multi-objective optimization of structures topology by genetic algorithms. Adv. in Eng. Software, 36:21-28, 2005.
-  J. Arabas. Lectures on Evolutionary Algorithms. WNT, 2001, (in Polish).
-  W. Beluch. Evolutionary Identification and optimization of composite structures. In III European Conf. on Comput. Mechanics, ECCM 2006, Lisbon, CD-ROM, 2006.
-  W. Beluch and T. Burczyński. Evolutionary optimization of hybrid laminates. Recent Dev. in Artif. Intell. Methods, AI-METH series, pages 21-24, 2005.
-  K. Deb. A fast and elitist multiobjective genetic algorithm: Nsga-ii. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, 6, no.2:182-197, 2002.
-  J. German. The Basics of the Fibre-Reinforcement Composites' Mechanics. Cracow University of Technology Pub., 2001, (in Polish).
-  T. Marler. A Study of Multi-Objective Optimization Methods for Engineering Applications. PhD thesis. University of Iowa.
-  A. Pegoretti, Fabbri E., C. Migliaresi, and F. Pilati. Intraply and interply hybrid composites based on e-glass and poly(vinyl alcohol) woven fabrics: tensile and impact properties. Polymer International, 53:1290-1297, 2004.
-  R. Spallino and S. Rizzo. Multi-objective discrete optimization of laminated structures. Mechanics Research Communications, 29:17-25, 2002.
-  N. Srinivas and K. Deb. Multiobjective function optimization using nondominated sorting genetic algorithm. Evol. Comput., 2, no.3:221-248, 1995.
-  Laumanns M. Zitzler, E. and S. Bleuler. A tutorial on evolutionary multiobjective optimization. Gandibleux X., Sevaux M., Sorensen K., T'kindt V. (eds.), Metaheuristic for multiobjectiye optimisation, Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems, 535:3-37, Springer, 2004.