Welding of girders to insert plates of composite steel-concrete structure of tower in Kuwait
Wybrane pełne teksty z tego czasopisma
Purpose: A study of influence of preheating and MMA welding technique of tee-joints of plate girders to insert plates of a composite steel-concrete structure of the telecommunication tower, on the properties and quality of the concrete in the region of the insert plate has been carried out. Design/methodology/approach: Studies of thermo-mechanical phenomena during manual arc welding MMA of tee-joints between plate girders and insert plates were carried out to identify possible sources of the concrete damage due to high welding temperature and stresses. Findings: It was shown that MMA welding at vertical-up position, by a rutile coated electrode of diameter 3,2 [mm], at welding current 110-120 [A], of the butt welds of tee-joints of girders and the insert plate does not cause any harmful and damaging effect to concrete, which temperature in a region of the contact with the bottom surface of the insert plate does not exceed 240 [°C] during full cycle of welding. Tensile and compression stresses of concrete are transmitted mainly by anchoring bars, fixed in concrete and also by reinforcing fabric of concrete, and do not cause any cracks of concrete. Research limitations/implications: To achieve more consistent results of the numerical analysis of stresses and deformation distribution in the insert plate with experimental results, it is necessary to calculate plastic deformation of materials and also take into consideration nonlinear change of yield point (plasticity) as a function of temperature. Practical implications: The technology was applied for welding of the girders to insert plates of the telecommunication tower in Kuwait. Originality/value: Welding procedure specification ensuring high quality of the welded joints of girders and insert plate of composite steel-concrete structure.
Bibliogr. 15 poz., il.
-  W. Staropolski, Calculations of concrete anchoring. Engineering and Constructions, Warsaw 1991 (in Polish).
-  S. Oingyu, L. Anli, Z. Haiyan, W. Aiping, Development and application of the adaptive mesh technique in the threedimensional numerical simulation of the welding process, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 121 (2002) 167-172.
-  P. Maropoulos, Z. Yao, H. Bradley, K. Paramor, An integrated design and planning environment for welding: Part 1: Product modelling, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 107 (2000) 3-8.
-  A. Bachorski, M. Painter, A. Smailes, M. Wahab, Finiteelement prediction of distortion during gas metal arc welding using the shrinkage volume approach, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 92-93 (1999) 405-409.
-  A. Marco, G. Trapaga, J. McKelliget, A comparison between different numerical formulations for welding arc representations, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 155-156 (2004) 1634-1640.
-  I. Kim, A. Basu, A mathematical model of heat transfer and fluid flow in the gas metal arc welding process, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 77 (1998) 17-24.
-  H. Beshr, A. Almusallam, M. Maslehuddin, Effect of coarse aggregate quality on the mechanical properties of high strength concrete, Construction and Building Materials 17 (2003) 97-103.
-  C. Cheng-Chih, N. Lin, Analytical model for predicting axial capacity and behavior of concrete encased steel composite stub columns, Journal of Constructional Steel Research 62 (2006) 424-433.
-  E. Oztekin, S. Pul, M. Husem, Determination of rectangular stress block parameters for high performance concrete, Engineering Structures 25 (2003) 371-376.
-  K. Lau, L. Zhou, Mechanical performance of compositestrengthened concrete structures, Composites B32 (2001) 21-31.
-  M. Husem, S. Gozutok, The effect of low temperature curing on the compressive strength of ordinary and high performance concrete, Construction and Building Materials 19 (2005) 49-53.
-  E. Karadeniz, U. Ozsarac, C. Yildiz, The effect of process parameters on penetration in gas metal arc welding processes, Materials and Design 28 (2007) 649-656.
-  J. Hou, W. Chung, Effect of admixtures in concrete on the corrosion resistance of steel reinforced concrete, Corrosion Science 42/9 (2000) 1489-1507.
-  M. Kaszynska, Early age properties of high-strength/highperformance concrete, Cement and Concrete Composites 24/2 (2002) 253-261.
-  T. Merikallio, R. Mannonen, V. Penttala, Drying of lightweight concrete produced from crushed expanded clay aggregates, Cement and Concrete Research 26/9 (1996) 1423-1433.