Application of Taguchi method in the optimisation of filament winding of thermoplastic composites
Wybrane pełne teksty z tego czasopisma
Purpose: Purpose of this paper was to find the optimum parameters to produce Twintex tubes by filament winding. Design/methodology/approach: Taguchi approach was used for this design. The experiments were done with varying fibers temperature, winding speed, number of layers and roving. Thermoplastic composite rings were manufactured in the thermoplastic filament winding process at selected conditions. The glass and polypropylene fibers (Twintex) were used to produce tubes. The influence of the main process parameters on tensile strength and also shear strength was assessed. Findings: As it is presented in this work, the machining parameters, number of layers and roving affect on shear and tensile strength. Fibres temperature is very significant parameter both in tensile strength and shear test. Research limitations/implications: The main objective of the present study was to apply the Taguchi method to establish the optimal set of control parameters for the tubes by filament winding. The Taguchi method is employed to determine the optimal combination of design parameters, including: fibers temperature, winding speed, number of layers and number of roving. Originality/value: This paper presents new results of optimisation using Taguchi method filament winding process parameters producing new tubes from the thermoplastic (Twintex) material.
Bibliogr. 16 poz., il., wykr.
- Division of Materials Processing Technology, Management and Computer Techniques in Materials Science, Institute of Engineering Materials and Biomaterials, Silesian University of Technology, ul. Konarskiego 18a, 44-100 Gliwice, Poland, email@example.com
-  B. Berginc, Z. Kampus, B. Sustarsic, The use of the Taguchi approach to determine the influence of injection-moulding parameters on the properties of green parts, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 15 (2006) 63-70.
-  Y. H. Chen, S. C. Tam, W. L. Chen, H. Z. Zheng, Application of Taguchi metod in the optimization of laser microengraving of photomasks, International Journal of Materials & Product Technology 11 (1996) 333-344.
-  L. A. Dobrzański, Fundamentals of Materials Science and Physical Metallurgy. Engineering Materials with Fundamentals of Materials Design, WNT, Warszawa, 2006 (in Polish).
-  L. A. Dobrzański, J. Domagała, J. F. Silva, Filament winding of thermoplastic materials, Proceedings of the 11th International Scientific Conference on the Contemporary Achievements in Mechanics, Manufacturing and Materials Science CAM3S'2005, Gliwice-Zakopane, 2005, (CD ROM).
-  F. Henninger, J. Hoffmann, K. Friedrich, Thermoplastic filament winding with online-impregnation. Part B. Experimental study of processing parameters, Elsevier, 2002.
-  Z. Jurkovic, M. Jurkovic, S. Buljan, Optimization of extrusion force prediction model using different techniques, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 17 (2006) 353-356.
-  R. H. Lochner, J. E. Matar, Design for quality - An introduction to the best of Taguchi and Western methods of statistical experimental design, New York, 1990.
-  J. P. Nunes, J. F Silva, P. Vieira, A. T. Marques, Implementation of an industrial process to produce filament wound composites from thermoplastic towpregs and coated tapes, Proceedings of the 18th Conference Polymer Processing Society-PPS 18, Guimaraes/Portugal, 2002, 16-20.
-  J. P. Nunes, F. W. J. van Hattum, C. Bernardo, J. F. Silva, A. T. Marques, Advances in thermoplastic matrix towpregs processing, Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials 17 (2004) 523-543.
-  R. K. Roy, Design of experiments using the Taguchi approach, John Willey & Sons. Inc., New York, 2001.
-  P. Sharma, A. Verma, R. K. Sidhu, O. P. Pandey, Process parameter selection for strontium ferrite sintered magnets using Taguchi L9 orthogonal design, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 168 (2005) 147-151.
-  G. P. Syrcos, Die casting process optimization using Taguchi methods, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 135 (2003) 68-74.
-  S. Thamizhmanii, S. Saparudin, S. Hasan, Analyses of surfaces roughness by turning process using Taguchi method, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 20 (2007) 503-506.
-  D. H. Wu, M. S. Chang, Use of Taguchi methods to develop a robust design for the magnesium alloy die casting process, Materials Science and Engineering 379 (2004) 366-371.
-  Y. Wu, A. Wu, Taguchi methods for robust design, ASME, New York, 2000.
-  W. H. Yang, Y. S. Tarng, Design optimization of cutting parameters for turning operations based on the Taguchi method, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 84 (1998) 122-129.