Numerical simulation of the beam made of magnetorheological elastomer bending in the magnetic field
Treść / Zawartość
Magnetorheological elastomers (MREs) belong to the group of so-called smart materials, which respond to an external stimulus by changing their viscoelastic properties. Magnetorheological (MR) material can be fluid, gel or solid like material, such as elastomer. The mechanical properties of the MR materials change when subjected to an external magnetic field. The MREs are interesting candidates for the active stiffness and vibration control of structural systems. In the paper the verification process of the applied FE modelling method is presented. The verification is based on the three point bending experiment. The results of that experiment were used to evaluation of the correction on numerical model and analysis. The model was based on the assumption that MRE behaves like an orthotropic material with the material properties o f MRE on the direction along the iron chains - and of a pure elastomer - on the other directions. Such an assumption can be made for the small deformations of a sample, what took place in the considered experiment. The FE modelling method was considered to be correct. On the base of the verified method a FE element model of the MRE beam bending was developed. Such MRE beams are used as "smart" switches that react under the changeable magnetic field.
Bibliogr. 6 poz., rys.
-  Kallio, M., The elastic and damping propertiesof magnetorheological elastomers, ESPOO VTT Publications, 565, 2005.
-  Jolly, M. R., Carlson, J. D., Munoz, B. C., A model of the behavior of magnetorheological materials, Smart Mater. Struct., 5, pp. 607-614, 1996.
-  Davis, L. C., Model of magnetorheological elastomers, J. Applied Phys., Vol. 85, No. 6, pp. 3348-3351, 1999.
-  Ginder, J. M., Clark, S. M., Schlotter, W. F., Nichols, M. E., Magnetostrictive phenomena in magnetorheological elastomers, Int. J. Modern Phys. B, Vol. 16, No. 17&18, pp. 2412-2418, 2002.
-  Boczkowska, A, Awietjan, S., Effect of the Processing Conditions on the Mechanical Properties of Urethane Magnetorheological Elastomers, Materials Science Forum, Vol. 587-588, pp. 630-634, 2008.
-  Boczkowska, A., Awietjan, S. F., Wroblewski, R., Microstructure–property relationships of urethane magnetorheological elastomers, Smart Mater. Struct., 16, 1924-1930, 2007.