Comparison of the CrN and TiN/(Ti,Al)N PVD coatings onto plasma nitrited steel
Wybrane pełne teksty z tego czasopisma
Purpose: The paper presents the results of the mechanical and tribological properties of the CrN and TiN/(Ti,Al)N PVD coatings deposited onto plasma nitrided hot work tool steel X37CrMoV5-1 type. Design/methodology/approach: Tests of the coatings’ adhesion to the substrate material were made using the scratch test. The surfaces’ topography, structure of the PVD coatings were observed on the scanning electron microscopy. Wear resistance tests with the pin-on-disc method were carried out on the CSEM THT (High Temperature Tribometer). Findings: The results showed that the duplex TiN/(Ti,Al)N coating exhibited higher hardness, very good adhesion and better wear resistance in the elevated temperature as compared to the duplex CrN coating. Practical implications: The investigation results will provide useful information to applying the duplex PVD coatings for the improvement of mechanical properties of the hot work tool steels. Originality/value: The very hard and antiwear PVD coatings deposited onto hot work tool steel substrate are needed.
Bibliogr. 22 poz.
-  L. Chen, S.Q. Wang, S.Z. Zhou, J. Li, Y.Z. Zhang, Microstructure and mechanical properties of Ti(C,N) and TiN/Ti(C,N) multilayer PVD coatings, International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials 26 (2008) 456-460.
-  G.G. Fuentes, M.J. Diaz de Cerio, J.A. Garcia, R. Martinez, R. Bueno, R.J. Rodriguez, M. Rico, F. Montala, Yi Qin, Gradient CrCN cathodic arc PVD coatings, Surface and Coatings Technology 203 (2008) 670-674.
-  B. Kosec, G. Kosec, M. Sokovic, Case of temperature field and failure analysis of die-casting die, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 20 (2007) 471-474.
-  B. Warcholinski, A. Gilewicz, Multilayer coatings on tools for woodworking, Wear 271 (2011) 2812-2820.
-  J.L. Mo, M.H. Zhu, Tribological oxidation behaviour of PVD hard coatings, Tribology International 42 (2009) 1758-1764.
-  J.J. Hu, J.E. Bultmann, J.S. Zabinski, Microstructure and lubrication mechanism of multilayered MoS2/Sb2O3 thin films, Tribology Letters 21 (2006) 169-174.
-  K.-D. Bouzakis, N. Michailidis, S. Gerardis, G. Katirtzoglou, E. Lili, M. Pappa, M. Brizuela, A. Garcia- Luis, R. Cremer, Correlation of the impact resistance of variously doped CrAlN PVD coatings with their cutting performance in milling aerospace alloys, Surface and Coatings Technology 203 (2008) 781-785.
-  F.R. Lamastra, F. Leonardi, R. Montanari, F. Casadei, T. Valente, G. Gusmano, X-ray residual stress analysis on CrN/Cr/CrN multilayer PVD coatings deposited on different steel substrates, Surface and Coatings Technology 200 (2006) 6172-6175.
-  L.A. Dobrzański, K. Lukaszkowicz, D. Pakuła, J. Mikuła, Corrosion resistance of multilayer and gradient coatings deposited by PVD and CVD techniques, Archives of Materials Science and Engineering 28/1 (2007) 12-18.
-  K. Lukaszkowicz, W. Kwaśny, J. Szewczenko, Microstructure and corrosion resistance of CrAlSiN, CrAlSiN+DLC, and CrN coatings, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 46/1 (2011) 23-29.
-  S.K. Pradhan, C. Nouveau, A. Vasin, M.-A. Djouadi, Deposition of CrN coatings by PVD methods for mechanical application, Surface and Coatings Technology 200 (2005) 141-145.
-  M. Polok-Rubiniec, L.A. Dobrzański, M. Adamiak, Comparison of the adhesion and wear resistance of the PVD coatings, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 20 (2007) 279-282.
-  M. Yaworska, J. Sieniawski, Effect of diffusion on platinum coatings deposited on the surface of nickel based superalloy by the electroplating process, Archives of Materials Science and Engineering 45/1 (2010) 56-60.
-  L. Aihua, D.Jianxin, C. Haibing, Ch. Yangyang, Z. Jun, Friction and wear properties of TiN, TiAlN an CrAlN PVD nitride coatings, International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials 31 (2012) 82-88.
-  H. Pengfei, J. Bailing, Study on tribological property of CrCN coating based on magnetron sputtering plating technique, Vacuum 85 (2011) 994-998.
-  M. Polok-Rubiniec, L.A. Dobrzański, M. Adamiak, The properties and the wear resistance of the CrN PVD coatings, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 30/2 (2008) 165-171.
-  J. Ling, N. Zhang, W.D. Sproul, J.J. Moore, A comparison of the oxidation behaviour of CrN films deposited using continuous dc, pulsed dc and modulated pulsed power magnetron sputtering, Surface and Coatings Technology 206 (2012) 3283-3290.
-  L. Chen, J. Paulitsch, Y. Du, P.H. Mayrhofer, thermal stability and oxidation resistance of Ti-Al-N coatings, Surface and Coatings Technology 206 (2012) 2954-2960.
-  C. Aguzzoli, C.A. Figueroa, F.S. de Souza, A. Spinelli, I.J.R. Baumvol, Corrosion and nanomechanical properties of vanadium carbide thin films coatings of tool steel, Surface and Coatings Technology 206 (2012) 2725-2731.
-  A. Mazurkiewicz, J. Smolik, Comparative analysis of wear mechanism of different types of forging dies, Archives of Materials Science and Engineering 49/1 (2011) 40-45.
-  T. Weirather, A. Fian, B. Sartory, D. Caliskanoglu, W. Kolker, C. Mitterer, Duplex processing for increased adhesion of sputter deposited Ti1-xAlxN coatings on a Fe-25%Co-15%Mo tool material, Surface and Coatings Technology 206 (2012) 3601-3606.
-  R.D. Torres, P.C. Soares Jr., C.Schmitz, C.J.M. Siqueira, Influence of the nitriding and TiAlN/TiN coating thickness on the sliding wear behaviour of duplex treated AISI H13 steel, Surface and Coatings Technology 205 (2010) 1381-1385.