Features of the ionosphere behavior before the Kythira 2006 earthquake
In this paper we present specific features of TEC (total electron content of the ionosphere) behavior as possible precursors of Kythira (Southern Greece) earthquake of January 8, 2006 (M6.8). For this purpose, we used both the TEC data of GPS-IGS stations nearest to the epicenter, and TEC maps over Europe. The favorable circumstance for this analysis was the quiet geomagnetic situation during the period prior to the earthquake. One day before the earthquake, a characteristic anomaly was found out as the day-time significant increase of TEC at the nearest stations, up to the value of 50% relative to the background condition. To estimate the spatial dimensions of seismo-ionospheric anomaly, the differential mapping method was used. The ionosphere modification as a cloud-like increase of electron concentration situated in the immediate vicinity of the forthcoming earthquake epicenter has been revealed. The amplitude of modification reached the value of 50% relative to the non-disturbed condition and was in existence from 10:00 till 22:00 UT. The area of significant TEC enhancement had a size of about 4000 km in longitude and 1500 km in latitude.
- Afraimovich, E.L., E.I. Astafieva, M.B. Gokhberg, V.M. Lapshin, V.E. Permyakova, G.M. Steblov and S.L. Shalimov, 2004, Variations of the total electron content in the ionosphere from GPS data recorded during the Hector Mine earthquake of October 16, 1999, California, Russ. J. Earth Sci. 6, 5, 339-354.
- Baran, L.W., I.I. Shagimuratov and N.J. Tepenitsina, 1997, The use of GPS for ionospheric studies, Artif. Satel. 32, 1, 49-60.
- Calais, E., and J.B. Minster, 1995, GPS detection of ionospheric TEC perturbations following the January 17, 1994, Northridge Earthquake, Geophys. Res. Lett. 22, 1045-1048.
- Davies, E., and D.M. Baker, 1965, Ionospheric effects observed around the time of the Alaskan earthquake of March 28, 1964, J. Geophys. Res. 70, 9, 2251-2253.
- Datchenko, E.A., V.I. Ulomov and S.P. Chernysheva, 1972, The anomalies of the electron concentration of the ionosphere as a possible precursor of the Tashkent earthquake, Dokl. Acad. Sci. Uzb. SSR 12, 30-34.
- Gaivoronskaya, T.V., and T.I. Zelenova, 1991, The effect of seismic activity on F2-layer critical frequencies, J. Atmos. Terr. Phys. 53, 6-7, 649-652.
- Gokhberg, M.B., V.A. Pilipenko and O.A. Pokhotelov, 1983, On the seismic precursors within the ionosphere, Izv. Acad. Sci. USSR, Ser. Physics Earth 10, 17-21 (in Russian).
- Gokhberg, M.B., A.V. Kustov, V.A. Liperovsky, R.Kh. Liperovskaya, E.P. Kharin and S.L. Shalimov, 1988, About disturbances in F-region of ionosphere before strong earthquakes, Izvestiya Acad. Sci. USSR, Ser. Physics Earth 4, 12-20 (in Russian).
- Hayakawa, M. (ed.), 1999, Atmospheric and Ionospheric Electromagnetic Phenomena Associated with Earthquakes, Terra Sci. Publ. Comp., Tokyo.
- Hayakawa, M., and O.A. Molchanov (eds.), 2002, Seismo-Electromagnetics: Lithosphere-Atmosphere-Ionosphere Coupling, Terrapub, Tokyo.
- Houminer, Z., and H. Soicher, 1996, Improved short-term predictions of foF2 using GPS time delay measurements, Radio Sci. 31, 5, 1099-1108.
- Krankowski, A., I.E. Zakharenkova and I.I. Shagimuratov, 2006, Response of the ionosphere to the Baltic Sea earthquake of 21 September 2004, Acta Geophys. 54, 1, 90-101.
- Larkina, V.I., A.V. Nalivayko, N.I. Gershenzon, M.B. Gokhberg, V.A. Liperovskiy and S.L. Shalimov, 1983, Observation of VLF emission related with seismic activity on the Intercosmos-19 satellite, Geomagn. and Aeron. 23, 684-687.
- Leonard, R.S., and R.A. Barnes, 1965, Observations of ionospheric disturbances following the Alaska earthquake, J. Geophys. Res. 70, 9, 1250-1253.
- Liperovsky, V.A., O.A. Pokhotelov and S.L. Shalimov, 1992, Ionospheric precursors of earthquakes, Izd. Nauka, Moscow (in Russian).
- Liu, J.Y., Y.I. Chen, S.A. Pulinets, Y.B. Tsai and Y.J. Chuo, 2000, Seismo-ionospheric signatures to M > 6.0 Taiwan earthquakes, Geophys. Res. Lett. 27, 19, 3113-3116.
- Liu, J.Y., Y.J. Chuo, S.A. Pulinets, H.F. Tsai and X.P. Zeng, 2002, A study on the TEC perturbations prior to the Rei-Li, Chi-Chi and Chia-Yi earthquakes. In: M. Hayakawa and O.A. Molchanov (eds.), "Seismo Electromagnetics: Lithosphere-Atmosphere-Ionosphere Coupling", Terrapub, Tokyo, 297-301.
- Liu, J.Y., Y.J. Chuo, S.J. Shan, Y.B. Tsai, S.A. Pulinets and S.B. Yu, 2004, Pre-earthquake ionospheric anomalies monitored by GPS TEC, Ann. Geophys. 22, 1585 -1593.
- Oraevsky, V.N., Yu.Ya. Ruzhin and A.Kh. Depueva, 1993, Seismo-ionospheric precursors and atmospheric electricity, Preprint N101(1048), Moscow: IZMIRAN.
- Parrot, M., and M.M. Mogilevsky, 1989, VLF emissions associated with earthquakes and observed in the ionosphere and the magnetosphere, Phys. Earth Planet. Interiors 57, 1-2, 86-89.
- Plotkin, V.V., 2003, GPS detection of ionospheric perturbation before the 13 February 2001, El Salvador earthquake, Nat. Hazard. Earth Sys. 3, 249-253.
- Pulinets, S.A., 1998, Seismic activity as a source of the ionospheric variability, Adv. Space Res. 22, 6, 903-906.
- Pulinets, S.A., and K. Boyarchuk, 2004, Ionospheric Precursors of Earthquakes, Springer, Berlin.
- Pulinets, S.A., A.D. Legen'ka, T.V. Gaivoronskaya and V.Kh. Depuev, 2003, Main phenomenological features of ionospheric precursors of strong earthquakes, J. Atmos. Sol.-Terr. Phys. 65, 1337-1347.
- Pulinets, S.A., A. Leyva Contreras, G. Bisiacchi-Giraldi and L. Ciraolo, 2005, Total electron content variations in the ionosphere before the Colima, Mexico, earthquake of 21 January 2003, Geofisica Internacional 44, 4, 369-377.
- Rios, V.H., V.P. Kim and V.V. Hegai, 2004, Abnormal perturbations in the F2 region ionosphere observed prior to the great San Juan earthquake of 23 November 1977, Adv. Space Res. 33, 323-327.
- Silina, A.S., E.V. Liperovskaya, V.A. Liperovsky and C.-V. Meister, 2001, Ionospheric phenomena before strong earthquakes, Nat. Hazard. Earth Sys. 1, 113-118.
- Strakhov, V.N., and V.A. Liperovsky (eds.), 1999, Short-Term Forecast of Catastrophic Earthquakes Using Radiophysical Methods, Institute of Physics of the Earth, Moscow (in Russian).
- Zakharenkova, I.E., A. Krankowski and I.I. Shagimuratov, 2006a, Modification of the lowlatitude ionosphere before December 26, 2004 Indonesian earthquake, Nat. Hazard. Earth Sys. 6, 817-823.
- Zakharenkova, I.E., I.I. Shagimuratov, A. Krankowski and A.F. Lagovsky, 2006b, Ionospheric precursors observed during the Mediterranean region earthquakes, Proc. 18th Int. Wrocław Symp. and Exhib. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 85-90.
- Zakharenkova, I.E., I.I. Shagimuratov, A. Krankowski and A.F. Lagovsky, 2007, Precursory phenomena observed in the total electron content measurements before great Hokkaido earthquake of September 25, 2003 (M = 8.3), Stud. Geophys. Geod. 51, 267-278.