The oily wastewater treatment using the nanofiltration process
Treść / Zawartość
The objective of this work was to investigate the possibility of oily wastewater treatment using the nanofiltration (NF) process. The NF studies were carried out with a permeate obtained from ultrafiltration (UF) (used for the treatment of the oily wastewater from metal industry). The influence of transmembrane pressure on a permeate flux, the degree of the rejection of oil and inorganic compounds was investigated. The studies on the NF treatment of oily wastewater demonstrated a high effectiveness of the rejection of oil and inorganic compounds. The permeate obtained from the treatment was free of oil. Moreover, the retention coefficient of the inorganic compounds was higher than 75% for all the cations examined (Na+, K+, Mg2+, Ca2+, Zn2+, Cu2+) and higher than 95% for sulphates. Therefore, the permeate obtained in the NF process can be reused for fresh emulsion preparation.
Bibliogr. 9 poz., rys., tab.
- 1. Hupka J., Miler J. D.: Environmental technology of oil pollution. The Second International Conference on Analysis and Utilization of Oily Wastes AUZO'99, August 29- September 3, 1999, Gdańsk, Poland,.
- 2. Gryta M., Karakulski K., Morawski A. W.: Purification of oily wastewater by hybrid UF/MD, Water Research, 2001, 35, 3665 - 3669.
- 3. In-Soung, Chang-Mo, Seung-Ho Han, Treatment of oily wastewater by ultrafiltration and ozone, Desalination, 2001, 133, 225 - 232.
- 4. Nordvik Atle B., Simmons James L., Bitting Kenneth R., Lewis Alun, Strom-Kristiansen Tove: Oil and Water Separation in Marine Oil Spill Clean-up Operations, Spill Science & Technology Bulletin, 1996, 3 (3), 107 - 122.
- 5. Betz M.: A Simple Way to Eliminate Oils from Water, Spill Science & Technology Bulletin, 2002, 7 (5 - 6), 319 - 320.
- 6. Curtis D.: Hydrocyclone for oil-from-water separation, Filtration & Separation, 1996, 33 (4), 291 - 292.
- 7. Hong A. G. Fane, Burford R.: The Effects of Permeate Flow on Membrane Coalescence of Oil-in-Water Emulsion, Membrane News, 2002, 60.
- 8. Young Ku, Shi-Wei Chen, Wen-Yu Wang: Effect of solution composition on the removal of copper ions by nanofiltration, Sep. Purif. Techn., 2005, 43 135 - 142.
- 9. Tomaszewska M., Orecki A., Karakulski K.: Treatment of bilge water using combination of ultrafiltration and reverse osmosis, Desalination, 2005, 185, 1629 - 1638.