Design of centralized PI/PID controllers for processes with parameter uncertainty and interactions
In this paper, design of centralized PI/PID controller for multi-variable, highly interactive processes is proposed. Interactive processes are always difficult to control due to coupling in inputs-outputs, and inaccurate choice of input-output pairing affects the performance, complexity, and cost of the control system. Practical difficulty in the tuning of centralized/decentralized PI/PID controller is raised due to methods based on trial and error. In this work, design rule and tuning procedure of the controller for multi-variable process with delay time are discussed without decomposing process model. The success of controller does not fully depend on the input-output pairing due to off-diagonal elements. The resultant controller can work with satisfactory performance even if the primary process parameters change significantly. Multi-variable processes with major interaction characteristics and time delays are employed to demonstrate the simplicity and strength of the method proposed.
Bibliogr. 21 poz., tab., rys., wykr.
-  Luyben W.L., Simple method for tuning SISO controllers in multivariable systems, Ind. Eng. Chem. Process Des. Dev., 1986, 25, 654-660.
-  Luyben W.L., Process Modeling, Simulation and Control for Chemical Engineers, second ed., McGraw-Hill Publishing Company, New York, 1996.
-  Xiong Q., Cai W.-J., He M.-J., He M., Decentralized control system design for multivariable processes - A novel method based on effective relative gain array, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 2006, 45, 2769-2776.
-  Loh A.P., Hang C.C., Quek C.K., Vasnani V.U., Autotuning of multiloop proportional-integral controllers using relay feedback, Industrial Engineering and Chemistry Research, 1993, 32, 1102-1107.
-  Shen S.H., Yu C.C., Use of relay-feedback test for autotuning of multivariable systems, American Institute of Chemical Engineers Journal, 1994, 40, 627-646.
-  Grosdidier P., Morari M., Interaction measures under decentralized control, Automatica, 1986, 22, 309-319.
-  Skogestad S., Morari M., Robust performance of decentralized control systems by independent design, Automatica, 1989, 25, 119-125.
-  Xiong Q., Cai W.-J., Effective transfer function method for decentralized control system design of multi-input multi-output processes, Journal of Process Control, 2006, 16, 773-784.
-  Huang H.-P., Jeng J.-C., Chiang C.-H., Pan W., A direct method for multiloop PI/PID controller design, Journal of Process Control, 2003, 13, 769-786.
-  Wang Q.-G., Zou B., Lee T.H., Bi Q., Autotuning of multi-variable PID controllers from decentralized relay feedback, Automatica, 1997, 33, 319-330.
-  Wang Q.-G., Yang Y.-S., Transfer function matrix approach to decoupling problem with stability, Systems and Control Letters, 2002, 47, 103-110.
-  Q Wang.-G., Zhang Y., Chiu M.S., Non-interacting control design for multi-variable industrial processes, Journal of Process Control, 2003, 13, 253-265.
-  Lee J., Kim D.H., Edgar T.F., Static decouplers for control of multivariable processes, American Institute of Chemical Engineers Journal, 2005, 51, 2712-2720.
-  Conley A., Salgado M.E., Gramian based interaction measure, Proceedings of the 39th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Sydney, Australia, December 2000, 5020-5022.
-  Qiang Xiong, Wen-Jian Cai, Mao-Jun He, Equivalent transfer function method for PI/PID controller design of MIMO processes, Journal of Process Control, 2007, 17, 665-673.
-  Bristol E.H., On a new measure on interaction for multivariable process control, IEEE transaction on Automatic Control, 1966, 133-134.
-  Chien I.L., Huang H.-P., Yang J.C., A simple multiloop tuning method for PID controllers with no proportional kick, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 1999, 38, 1456-1468.
-  Lee M., Lee K., Kim C., Lee J., Analytical design of multiloop PID controllers for desired closed-loop responses, AIChE J., 2004, 50, 1631-1635.
-  Truong Nguyen Luan Vu and Moonyong Lee, Multiloop PI controller design based on the direct synthesis for interacting multi-time delay processes, ISA Transactions, 2010, 49, 79-86.
-  Wood R.K., Berry M.W., Terminal composition control of binary distillation column, Chem. Eng. Sci., 1973, 28, 1707-1717.
-  Ogunnaike B.A., Ray W.H., Multivariable Controller Design for Linear Systems Having Multiple Time Delays, American Institute of Chemical Engineers Journal, 1979, 25, 1043.