Adaptive packet scheduling for requests delay guaranties in packet-switched computer communication network
In this paper, the problem of packet scheduling in the node of packet-switched computer communication network is considered. Packet scheduling in the network edge nodes is one of the crucial mechanisms essential for delivery of required level of quality of end-to-end network services (QoS). In order to satisfy QoS guaranties for each incoming request belonging to one of the distinguished traffic classes, packet scheduling algorithm must make decisions based on current state of the scheduling system (e.g., buffer lengths) and actual characteristics of the serviced traffic (e.g., lengths of connections following requests, packet intensities within requests, etc.). The paper proposes a new packet scheduling algorithm based on Weighted Round Robin (WRR), whose weights are adapted according to changes of network's load and traffic characteristics. By means of computer simulation, on representative examples, it was shown that utilization of additional knowledge about incoming traffic in the process of packet scheduling may improve QoS guaranties for serviced traffic.
Bibliogr. 12 poz., rys., tab, wykr.
-  Czachorski T., Queuing models in estimation efficiency for computer systems and networks, PKJS, Gliwice, 1999, (in Polish).
-  Drapała J., Świątek J., Backpropagation through time for learning of interconnected neural networks - identification of complex systems, Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Systems Engineering, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, 2008.
-  Floyd S., Jacobson V., Link-sharing and resource management models for packet networks, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 3:365-386, 1995.
-  Grimmett G., Stirzaker D., Probability and Random Processes, Oxford University Press, New York, 2001.
-  Grzech A., Teletraffic control in the computer communication networks, Wrocław University of Technology Publishing House, 2002, (in Polish).
-  Grzech A., Świątek P., Parallel processing of connection streams in nodes of packet-switched computer communication systems, Cybernetics and Systems, Vol. 39, Iss. 2, 2008, 155-170.
-  Grzech A., Świątek P., Modeling and optimization of complex services in service-based systems, Cybernetics and Systems, Vol. 40, 2009, 706-723.
-  Grzech A., Świątek P., The influence of load prediction methods on the quality of service of connections in the multiprocessor environment, Systems Science, Vol. 35, No. 3, 2009, 7-14.
-  Ku C.C., Lee K.Y., Diagonal Recurrent Neural Networks for Dynamic Systems Control, IEEE Trans, on Neural Networks, Vol. 6, No. 1, January 1995, 144-155.
-  Świątek P., Modeling of multi-queue-single-processor queuing system for load balancing purposes, [in:] Knowledge processing and reasoning for information society, Exit, Warsaw, Poland, 2008, 249-262.
-  Świątek P., Evaluation of on-line algorithms for packet scheduling in a network node, Proceedings of the 12th IEEE International Conference on Methods and Models in Automation and Robotics, Międzyzdroje, Poland, 2006, 1129-1132.
-  Świątek P., Multistage Packet Processing in Nodes of Packet-Switched Computer Communication Networks. Theoretical and Applied Informatics, Vol. 19, No. 4, 2007, 267-279.