Partners in education – development of graduates competencies
Treść / Zawartość
Purpose: The aim of this paper is to investigate the possibility of using the concept of "Partners in Education" as a solution for preparing the students to successfully enter the workforce. Design/methodology/approach: Desk Research Method and survey are used. Paper is based on Partners in Education’s documents (local non-profit organization) and results of empirical research. Findings: The study includes the review of the results of empirical research carried out in Poland, which indicated the existence of competence gaps of graduates from technical universities. The study also indicated the need to constantly monitor the competence gaps and correct the education programs on this basis. One of the tools to improve the process of updating curricula may be the practice used in the USA. Originality/value: The main goal of any system of education in any region is to prepare students to successfully enter the workforce. At the present time, the economy is changing rapidly. The educational and training needs are constantly changing. The authors pointed to a good practice used in the USA, as an example of a solution for preparing the students to successfully enter the workforce.
Bibliogr. 25 poz.
- University of Technology and Humanities in Bielsko-Biała, Poland
- Colorado Mesa University, USA
- Opole University of Technology, Poland
- 1. Choe, N.H., Borrego, M. (2020). Master's and doctoral engineering students' interest in industry, academia, and government careers. Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 109, pp. 325-346.
- 2. Czerwińska-Lubszczyk, A., Grebski, M., and Jagoda-Sobalak, D. (2020). Cooperation of Universities with Business in Poland and the USA – Perspective of Scientific Environment, Management Systems in Production Engineering, Vol. 28(1), pp. 40-46.
- 3. Czerwińska-Lubszczyk, A., Grebski, M., Jagoda-Sobalak, D., and Łapuńka, I. (2020). Comparative Analysis of Industry Expectations Related to Engineering Graduates in Poland and the United States. In: K. Midor (Ed.), Multidisciplinary Aspects of Production Engineering (pp. 681-693). Warsaw: Sciendo.
- 4. D'Este, and P., Patel, P. (2007) University-industry linkages in the UK: What are the factors underlying the variety of interactions with industry? Research Policy, Vol. 36, pp. 1295-1313.
- 5. Dubovikova, E.P. (2019). International Conference on Construction, Architecture and Technosphere Safety. Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 687, pp. 1-6.
- 6. Dutt, S., Lanvin, B., and Wunsch-Vincent, S. (2020). Global Innovation Index 2020, Who Will Finance Innovation? Geneva: World Intellectual Property Organization.
- 7. Epure, M. (2017). University-business cooperation: adapting the curriculum and educational package to labor market requirements. Proc. of the International Conference on Business Excellence, Vol. 11(1), pp. 339-349.
- 8. Fajfer, P., Koliński, A., and Kolińska, K. (2013). Analysis of the possibility of knowledge transfer and cooperation of business practice with the scientific community – research results. E-mentor, Vol. 2(49), pp. 55-60.
- 9. Fedoseeva, M.A., Prokudina, N.A., Fedoseeva, N.Yu., Evdokimov, V.S., Kapelukhovskaya, A.A., and Yusha, V.L. (2019). Developing teamwork skills for students trained in compressors and refrigeration programs. International Conference on Compressors and their Systems. Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 604, pp. 1-8.
- 10. Ghonim, M., Eweda, N. (2019). Instructors' perspectives on the pedagogy of architectural graduation projects: A qualitative study. Frontiers of Architectural Research, Vol. 8, pp. 415-427.
- 11. Gill, D., Minshall, T., Pickering, C., and Rigbyet, M. (2007) Funding Technology: Britain Forty Years on. Cambridge: University of Cambridge Institute for Manufacturing, p. 50.
- 12. Jagoda-Sobalak, D., Łapuńka, I., and Marek-Kolodziej, K. (2018). The Importance of Creativity, Motivation and Communication in the Business World. Proc. Of the Conference: 31st International-Business-Information-Management-Association, pp. 1229-1239.
- 13. Kmieciak, R., Michna, A., Meczyńska, A. (2012). Innovativeness, empowerment and IT capability: Evidence from SMEs. Industrial Management and Data Systems, Vol. 112(5), pp. 707-728.
- 14. Kuna-Marshal, A. (2013a). Building Science-Business Relationship – Research Review. Scientific Papers of the University of Economics in Wrocław, Vol. 315, pp. 439-449.
- 15. Kuna-Marshal, A. (2013b). Building Science-Business Relationship – Research Review. Scientific Papers of the University of Economics in Wrocław, Vol. 315, pp. 439-449.
- 16. Liu, Y.N., Li, K., and McLean, A. (2017). Practical Scientific Knowledge Education based on Herbert Spencer's What Knowledge is of Most Worth? Eurasia Journal of Mathematics Science and Technology Education, Vol. 13(7), pp. 4291-4299.
- 17. Michna, A., Kmieciak, R. (2020). Open-mindedness culture, knowledge-sharing, financial performance, and industry 4.0 in smes. Sustainability, Vol. 12(21), pp. 1-17.
- 18. Nürk, J. (2021). Smart information system capabilities of digital supply chain business models. European Journal of Business Science and Technology, Vol. 5(2), pp. 143-184.
- 19. Partners in Education, Available online https://www.greaterhazletonpartnersined.org/ contact, 05.05.2021.
- 20. Raesfeld, L., Fuentes, P.G. (2018). University-Business Cooperation in the Regional Innovation System in the State of Hidalgo. Revista Conrado, Vol. 14(65), pp. 240-246.
- 21. Sabirova, U.F., Gusenina, S.V., Sukhomlinova, M.V., and Safyanov, V.I. (2019). Humanization as a Sociocultural Component of the Higher Education Quality. International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering (IJITEE), Vol. 9(1), pp. 3209-3218.
- 22. Schwab, K. (2017). The Global Competitiveness Report 2017-2018. Geneva: The World Economic Forum.
- 23. Sergeeva, M.G., Vilkova, A.V., Litvishkov, V.M., Kovtunenko, L.V., Lukashenko, D.V. and Klimova, E.M. (2019). Technology and Innovation in the Development of Cognitive Activity. International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering (IJITEE), Vol. 8(12), pp. 1050-1055.
- 24. Syahmaidi, E., Hidayat, H., Hartanto, S. and Rahmadani, A.F. (2019). Needs Analysis of Designing Online Computer-Assisted Training to Improve Pedagogical Competencies in Engineering Education. International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology (IJEAT), Vol. 8(6), pp. 4619-4624.
- 25. Tatum, C.T.S., Franceschi, F.F.D., Tatum, L.M.M., Fabris, J.P., and Russo, S.L. (2018) University-Industry Cooperation Network in Academic and Technological Productivity. Revista Geintec-Gestao Inovacao e Tecnologias, Vol. 8(4), pp. 4697-4709.