Investigation of the Changes in Perceived Sleep Quality and Quantity among Maritime Students in Relation to Long Term Sea Training
Treść / Zawartość
Maritime students spend a certain period of their training on board, depending on their qualifications. Deck officer candidates (deck cadets) must perform an open sea internship on commercial vessels for one year. Deck officers are among to member of crew with important responsibilities to cooperate with the Master during voyage including being involved in navigation and port watches as well as maintenance of the ship and its safety equipment. Deck cadets perform their practical training between academic education periods according to general practice in Turkey. They can be subjected to unusual working hours and rest periods during the mission on the ship. Considering the importance of adequate sleep for productivity, vigilance, sustaining attention and even over-all health and well-being, it is not only sleep quantity but sleep quality is critical. The aim of this study was to investigate of the effect of the long-term onboard training (aprox. 7 months) on the sleep quantity and quality of the maritime students. Data regarding sleep quantity and perceptive quality among the subjects were obtained by using Pittsburg Sleep Quality Index (PSQI). PSQI is a scale providing information on type and violence of sleep disorders and the quality of sleep during the past month. A total of 60 maritime students were asked to fill PSQI before and after onboard training. Demographical information such as age, gender, weight, height and information regarding the internship were also obtained. Of the students 43.3% rated as poor sleeper before the internship and this ratio increased to 73.3% after the internship. A prominent decrease in sleep quality was determined. Sleep duration did not change significantly. This study showed a significant negative effect of onboard training on sleep quality among participants and they did not recover within a month after returning from the sea which indicates potential long term consequencies.
Bibliogr. 36 poz., rys., tab.
- 1 Ağargün, M.Y., Kara, H., Anlar, O. 1996. Pittsburgh uyku kalitesi indeksinin geçerliği ve güvenirliği (in Turkish), Türk Psikiyatri Dergisi, 7(2), 107-115
- 2 Andruškienė J., Barsevičienė S., Varoneckas G.: Poor Sleep, Anxiety, Depression and Other Occupational Health Risks in Seafaring Population. TransNav, the International Journal on Marine Navigation and Safety of Sea Transportation, Vol. 10, No. 1, doi:10.12716/1001.10.01.01, pp. 19-26, 2016
- 3 Aysan, E., Karaköse, S., Zaybak, A., Günay-İsmailoğlu, E. 2014. Üniversite Öğrencilerinde Uyku Kalitesi ve Etkileyen Faktörler, Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi Hemşirelik Fakültesi Elektronik Dergisi, 7(3),193-198
- 4 Baert, S., Omey, E., Verhaest, D., Vermeir, A. 2014. Mister Sandman, Bring Me Good Marks! On the Relationship Between Sleep Quality and Academic Achievement, Institute for the Study of Labor, Germany, IZA DP No. 8232, Available at: http://ftp.iza.org/dp8232.pdf , June-2018
- 5 Buysse, D.J., Reynolds, C.F.3rd, Monk, T.H., Berman, S.R., Kupfer, D.J., 1989. The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: A new instrument for psychiatric practice and research, Psychiatry Research, May:28(2), 193-213
- 6 Calhoun, R. 1999. Human Factors in Ship Design: Preventing and Reducing Shipboard Operator Fatigue, University of Michigan, Available at: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.604.286&rep=rep1&type=pdf , June-2018
- 7 Colquhoun, W.P., Rutenfranz, J., Goethe, H. 1988. Work at sea: a study of sleep, and of circadian rhythms in physiological and psychological functions, in watchkeepers on merchant vessels, International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health, 60:321, doi:10.1007/BF00405665
- 8 Çalıyurt, O. 1998. Sirkadiyen uyku uyanıklık düzenini etkileyen iş ve çalışma gruplarında uyku kalitesinin değerlendirilmesi (in Turkish), Master Thesis (Supervisor: Abay E.), Trakya University, School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Edirne
- 9 Eliasson, A.H., Lettieri, C.J. 2010. Early to bed, early to rise! Sleep habits and academic performance in college students, Sleep Breath, 14:71, doi:10.1007/s11325-009-0282-2
- 10 Epstein, J.E., Mardon, S. 2006. The Harvard Medical School Guide To A Good Night’s Sleep, McGraw-Hill E-books, Harvard College, USA, DOI: 10.1036/0071467432
- 11 Gilbert, S.P., Weaver, C.C. 2010. Sleep Quality and Academic Performance in University Students: A Wake-Up Call for College Psychologists, Journal of College Student Psychotherapy, 24:295–306, DOI: 10.1080/87568225.2010.509245
- 12 Howell, A.J., Jahrig, J.C., Powell, R.A. 2004. Sleep quality, sleep propensity and academic performance, Perceptual and Motor Skills, 99,525-535.
- 13 Hystad, S.W., Eid, J. 2016. Sleep and Fatigue Among Seafarers: The Role of Environmental Stressors, Duration at Sea and Psychological Capital, Safety and Health at Work, 7, 363-371
- 14 Jepsen, J.R., Zhao1, Z., Leeuwe, W.M.A. 2015. Seafarer fatigue: a review of risk factors, consequences for seafarers’ health and safety and options for mitigation, International Maritime Health, 66, 2:106–117
- 15 Jezewska, M, Leszczyńska, I, Jaremin, B. Work-related stress at sea self estimation by maritime students and officers. Int Marit Health 2006; 57(1-4):66-75.
- 16 Karakoç, B. 2009. Uyku kalitesi üzerine bir çalışma: Özel Dal Hastanesi sağlık çalışanları örneği (in Turkish), Master Thesis (Supervisor: Alpar Ş.E.), Marmara University, Institute of Health Sciences, İstanbul
- 17 Koçoğlu, D., Tokur-Kesgin, M., Kulakçı, H. 2010. İlköğretim 2.Kademe Öğrencilerinin Uyku Alışkanlıkları ve Uyku Sorunlarının Bazı Okul Fonksiyonlarına Etkisi (in Turkish) / The Influence of Sleep Habits and Sleep, Problems on Some School Functions of Elementary School 2nd Level Students, Hacettepe University Faculty of Health Sciences Nursing Journal, 24–32
- 18 Magramo M., Gellada L.: A Noble Profession Called Seafaring: the Making of an Officer. TransNav, the International Journal on Marine Navigation and Safety of Sea Transportation, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 475-480, 2009
- 19 MLC, 2006. Maritime Labour Convention 2006, as amended, ILO
- 20 Perez-Chada, D., Perez-Lloret, S., Videla, A.J., Cardinali, D., Bergna, M.A., Fernández-Acquier, M., Larrateguy, L., Zabert, G.E., Drake, C. 2007. Sleep Disordered Breathing And Daytime Sleepiness Are Associated With Poor Academic Performance In Teenagers. A Study Using The Pediatric Daytime Sleepiness Scale (PDSS), SLEEP, Vol. 30, No. 12
- 21 Saygılı, S., Çil-Akıncı, A., Arıkan, H., Dereli, E. 2011. Üniversite Öğrencilerinde Uyku Kalitesi ve Yorgunluk (in Turkish), Electronic Journal of Vocational Colleges, December 2011, pg.88-94
- 22 STCW, 2010. International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers 1978, with 2010 Manila amendments, IMO
- 23 Turkish Seafarers Regulation 2016. Gemiadamları Yönetmeliği (in Turkish)
- 24 URL-1 https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-can-you-catch-up-on-sleep/ , June-2018
- 25 URL-2 (https://www.quora.com/Is-sleep-deprivation-irreversible#) , June-2018
- 26 URL-3 https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-can-you-catch-up-on-sleep/ , June-2018
- 27 URL-4 https://www.marineinsight.com/case-studies/deck-cadet-dies-on-bulk-carrier-due-to-multiple-crush-injuries/ , June-2018
- 28 URL-5 https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/19-year-old-from-lucknow-dies-in-a-ship-in-brussels/articleshow/57948578.cms , June-2018
- 29 URL-6 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9209324/Sea-cadet-plunged-to-death-after-falling-from-rigging.html, June-2018
- 30 URL-7 https://www.google.com.tr/search?q=%22deck+ cadet%22+%22death%22&ei=4TozW_OUHcuWsAHcurWQDQ&start=0&sa=N&biw=1920&bih=947 , June-2018
- 31 Wagner, U, Gais, S, Haider, H, Verleger, R, Born, J. 2004. Sleep inspires insight, Nature, 427(6972):352-355.
- 32 Yıldız S., Uğurlu Ö., Yüksekyıldız E.: Occupational Issues and Expectations of Turkish Deck Cadets. TransNav, the International Journal on Marine Navigation and Safety of Sea Transportation, Vol. 10, No. 3, doi:10.12716/1001.10.03.04, pp. 403-408, 2016
- 33 Yılmaz, H. 2012. Determination of fatigue and sleep states of watchkeeping officers with help EEG and bridge simülatör / Vardiya zabitlerinin yorgunluk ve uykusuzluk hallerinin EEG ve köprüüstü simülatör yardımı ile belirlenmesi (in Turkish), Master Thesis (Supervisor: Başar E.), Karadeniz Technical University, The Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences
- 34 Yılmaz, H., Başar, E., Ayar, A., Velioğlu, S.K., 2018. Konteyner zabitlerinin günlük MET,uyku süre ve verimliliklerinin metabolik holter ile belirlenmesi (in Turkish) / Measure of the container officers' daily MET, sleep duration and efficiency via metabolic holter. The Proceeding Book of 16.National Neuroscience Congress, 20-23 May 2018, Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, pp.158
- 35 Yılmaz H., Başar E., Yüksekyıldız E.: Investigation of Watchkeeping Officers' Watches Under The Working Hours Ineligible to STCW Regulation. TransNav, the International Journal on Marine Navigation and Safety of Sea Transportation, Vol. 7, No. 4, doi:10.12716/1001.07.04.03, pp. 493-500, 2013
- 36 Zeek, M.L., Savoie, M.J., Song, M., Kennemur, L.M., Qian, J., Jungnickel, P.W., Westrick, S.C. 2015. Sleep Duration and Academic Performance Among Student Pharmacists, American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, 79 (5), Article 63
Opracowanie rekordu w ramach umowy 509/P-DUN/2018 ze środków MNiSW przeznaczonych na działalność upowszechniającą naukę (2018).