A literature review of electronic data interchange as electronic business communication for manufacturing
Treść / Zawartość
In the present dynamic environment, manufacture are required to reduce product development cycle time and enhance product quality. To meet such challenges many business are developing closer relationships with their business partner through application of interorganisational system. Electronic data interchange (EDI) providing a structured form of communication and has become very popular vehicle for electronic communication. Since the EDI concept was popularised in 1990, there is a growing recognition by practitioners and academics. The aim of this study is to perform an analysis of EDI research, give the current discussion regarding the trends and note the suggestions for the future directions of EDI research in the manufacture. In this paper, we provide a wide coverage of excessively citations on EDI from 1990 to 2017 from good references in this area. The papers are classified into EDI implementation strategy, EDI adoption, EDI integration, EDI in supply chain and EDI in small and medium enterprises (SMEs). The study results of this literature review are expected to assist development of EDI research especially the implementation of EDI on production outsourcing as one of supply chain activities.
Bibliogr. 100 poz., rys., tab.
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, Brawijaya University, Program Magister Dan Doktor, Jln. Mayjend Haryono 167 Malang Indonesia 65145
- Department of Informatics Engineering, University of Trunojoyo Madura, Indonesia
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, Brawijaya University, Indonesia
- Department of Industrial Engineering, Brawijaya University, Indonesia
- Department of Industrial Engineering, Brawijaya University, Indonesia
-  Vlachos I.P., Adoption of electronic data interchange by agribusiness organizations, Journal of International Food & Agribusiness Marketing, 16, 1, 19–42, 2004.
-  Watts C., Hogan Patrick T., Treleven M., Issues influencing use of electronic data interchange technology, American Journal of Business, 13, 2, 7–14, 1998.
-  Picot A., Neuburger R., Niggl J., Management perspectives of electronic data interchange systems, International Journal of Information Management, 13, 243–246, 1993.
-  Vlosky R.P., Smith P.M., Wilson D.T., Electronic data interchange implementation strategies: a case study, Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, 9, 4, 5–18, 1994.
-  Hammer M., The super efficient company, Harvard Business Review, 79, 8, 82–91, 2001.
-  Subramani M.R., How do suppliers benefit from IT use in supply chain relationships?, MIS Quarterly, 28, 1, 45–73, 2004.
-  Grover V., Teng J., Fiedler K., Investigating the role of information technology in building buyersupplier relationships, Journal of the AIS, 3, 217– 45, 2003.
-  Son J.Y., Narasimhan S., Riggins F.J., Effects of relational factors and channel climate on EDI usage in the customer-supplier relationship, Journal of Management Information Systems, 22, 1, 321– 53, 2005.
-  O’Callaghan R., Kaufmann P.J., Konsynski B.R., Adoption correlates and share effects of electronic data interchange in marketing channels, Journal of Marketing, 56, 45–56, 1992.
-  Torrington D., Hall L., Personnel management: a new approach, London: Prentice Hall, 1991.
-  Grimaldi A., At last an EDI explosion, Transport and Distribution, 31, 6, 33, 1990.
-  Hellman J.L., Gadde L.E., Information technology and the efficiency of materials supply: the implementation of EDI in the Swedish construction industry, European Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management, 2, 4, 221–228, 1996.
-  Vesela L., Factors affecting the adoption of electronic data interchange, Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, 65, 6, 2123–2130, 2017.
-  Li S., Bhanu R.-N., Ragu-Nathan T.S., Subba Rao S., The impact of supply chain management practices on competitive advantage and organizational, Performance Omega, 34, 2, 107–124, 2006.
-  Elfing T., Baven G., Outsourcing technical services: stages of development, Long Range Planning, 27, 5, 42–51, 1994.
-  Kliem R.L., Managing the risks of outsourcing agreements, Information Systems Management, Summer, pp. 91–3, 1999.
-  Meixell M.J., Kenyon G.N., Westfall P., The effects of production outsourcing on factory cost performance: an empirical study, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 25, 6, 750–774, 2014.
-  Cuyvers L., Janssens G.K., Electronic data interchange in international trade, Logistics Information Management; Bradford, 5, 2, 36, 1992.
-  Banerjee S., Golhar D.Y., Electronic data interchange: characteristics of user and nonusers, Information and Management, 26, 65–74, 1994.
-  Grover V., An empirically derived model for the adoption of customer-based interorganizational systems, Decision Sciences, 24, 3, 603–640, 1993.
-  Premkumar G., Ramamurthy K., Nilakanta Sree, Implementation of electronic data interchange: a innovation diffusion perspective, Journal of Management Information Systems: JMIS; Armonk, 11, 2, 157, 1994.
-  Hendon R., Nath R., Basu C., Survey of critical success factors for electronic data interchange (EDI) implementation, Proceedings Sciences Institute, November 20–22, Boston, MA, 1995.
-  Ngai E.W.T., Gunasekaran A., Implementation of EDI in Hong Kong: an empirical analysis, Industrial Management & Data Systems, 104, 1, 88–100, 2004.
-  Kim Byung Gon, Lee S., Factors affecting the implementation of electronic data interchange in Korea, Computer in Human Behavior, 24, 263–283, 2008.
-  Bergeron F., Raymond L., Managing EDI for corporate advantage: a longitudinal study, Information and Management, 31, 319–333, 1997.
-  Sokol P.K., EDI: The Competitive Edge, McGrawHill, New York, 1998.
-  Pugsley W., Electronic data interchange – an overview, Proceedings of the International HP Users Conference, Brussels, paper BU/OA/09, 1989.
-  Bedlow A., The status of EDI, Logistic Information Management, 3, 2, 67–72, 1990.
-  Lummus Rhonda R., The evolution to electronic data interchange: are there benefits at all stages of implementation, Hospital Materiel Management Quarterly, 18, 4, 79–83, 1997.
-  Hoti E., The technological, organizational and environmental framework of IS in novation adaption in small and medium enterprises. Evidence from research over the last 10 years, International Journal of Business and Management, 3, 4, 1–14, 2015.
-  Neo B.S., Khoo P.E., Ang S., The adoption of Trade Net by the trading community: an empirical analysis, In: Proc. 15th Annual Inter. Conf. Inform. Systems. Carolyn, pp. 159–174, 1994.
-  Premkumar G., Ramamurthy K., The role of interorganizational and organizational factors on the decision mode for adoption of interorganizational systems, Decision Sciences, 26, 3, 303–336, 1995.
-  Musawa M.S., Wahab E., The adoption of electronic data interchange (EDI) technology by Nigerian SMEs: a conceptual framework, Journal of Business Management and Economics, 3, 2, 055–068, 2012.
-  Iacovou C.L., Benbasat I., Dexter A.S., Electronic data interchange and small organizations: adoption and impact of technology, MIS Quarterly, pp. 465– 485, 1995.
-  Shahwan Y., The application of EDI: empirical evidence, International Journal of Management & Information Systems, 17, 2, 97–104, 2013.
-  Chwelos P., Benbasat I., Dexter A.S., Research report: empirical test of an EDI adoption model, Information Systems Research, 12, 3, 304–321, 2001.
-  Ratnasingam P., Inter-organizational trust in EDI adoption: the case of Ford Motor Company and PBR Limited in Australia, Internet Research, 11, 3, 261–269, 2001.
-  Hart P., Saunders C., Power and trust: critical factors in the adoption and use of electronic data interchange, Organization Science, 8, 1, 23–42, 1997.
-  Webster J., Networks of collaboration or conflict? Electronic data interchange and power in the supply chain, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 4, 1, 31–42, 1995.
-  Cummings L.L.P., Bromiley P., The organizational trust inventory (OTI): development and validation, [in:] Kramer R.M., Tyler T.R. [Eds.], Trust in Organizations: Frontiers of Theory and Research, Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA, pp. 302–20, 1996.
-  Doney P.M., Cannon J.P., An examination of the nature of trust in buyer-seller relationships, Journal of Marketing, pp. 35–51, 1997.
-  Ganesan S., Determinants of long-term orientation in buyer-seller relationships, Journal of Marketing, 58, 1–190 1994.
-  Gulati R., Does familiarity breed trust? The implications of repeated ties for contractual choice in alliances, Academy of Management Journal, 38, 1, 85–112, 1995.
-  Mackay D.R., The impact of ED1 on the components sector of the Australian automotive industry, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 2, 3, 243–263, 1993.
-  Senn J.A., Electronic data interchange the elements of implementation, Information System Management, 9, 45–53, 1992.
-  Sánchez A.M., Pérez M.P., The use of EDI for interorganisational co-operation and coordination in the supply chain, Integrated Manufacturing Systems, 14, 8, 642–651, 2003.
-  Lee S.L., Sulaiman A., Dezdar S., Mallasi H., Electronic data interchange adoption from technological, organisational and environmental perspectives, Int. J. Business Information Systems, 18, 3, 2015.
-  Leung R., Law R., Evaluation of hotel information technologies and EDI adoption: the perspective of hotel IT managers in Hong Kong, Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, 54, 1, 25–37, 2013.
-  Alam S., Ali M., Fauzi M., An empirical study of factors affecting electronic commerce adoption among SMEs in Malaysia, Journal of Business Economics and Management, 12, 2, 375–399, 2011.
-  Adam U., Desa M.I., Tan M.I.I., A review on factors affecting the EDI system migration in logistics, IJCSI International Journal of Computer Science Issues, 9, 2, 1, 2012.
-  Elbaz D., Electronic Data Interchange: an assessment of the factors leading to EDI adoption, Concordia University: Master Thesis, 1998.
-  Jun M., Cai M., Peterson R.T., EDI use and participation models: from the interorganizational relationship perspective, Industrial Management & Data Systems, 100, 9, 412–420, 2000.
-  Morell J.A., Neal W., Fries V., Promoting electronic data interchange: building a foundation for support to small businesses, Industrial Technology Institute, 1995.
-  Swatman P.M.C., Swatman P.A., Fowler D.C., A model of ED1 integration and strategic business reengineering, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 3, 1, 41–60, 1994.
-  Gengeswari K., Abu Bakar Abdul Hamid, Integration of electronic data interchange: a review, Jurnal Kemanusiaan bil.15 Jun 2010.
-  Bergeron F., Raymond L., The advantages of electronic data interchange, DataBase, 23, 4, 19–31, 1992.
-  Massetti B., Zmud R.W., Measuring the extent of EDI usage in complex organisations: strategies and illustrative examples, MIS Quarterly, 20, 3, 331– 345, 1996.
-  Truman G.E., Integration in electronic exchange environments, Journal of Management Information Systems, 17, 1, 209–245, 2000.
-  Handfield R.B., Re-engineering for time-based competition, Westport, CT: Quorum Books, 1995.
-  Thachenkary C.S., COINLink: The impacts of an EDI network on the automobile dealership and lending industries, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 39, 4, 386–393, 1992.
-  Takac P.F., EDI, EFT and implications for banks, Logistics Information Management, 6, 1, 8–15, 1993.
-  Ramamurthy K., Premkumar G., Crum M.R., Organizational and interorganizational determinants of EDI diffusion and organizational performance: a causal model, Journal of Organizational Computing & Electronic Commerce, 9, 4, 253–286, 1999.
-  Arunachalam V., Electronic data interchange: issues in adoption and management, Information Resources Management Journal, 10, 2, 22–31, 1997.
-  Lim D., Palvia P.C., EDI in strategic supply chain: impact on customer service, International Journal of Information Management, 21, 3, 193–211, 2001.
-  Lee S., Lim G.G., The impact of partnership attributes on EDI implementation success, Information & Management, 41, 2, 135–148, 2003.
-  Manabe S., Fujisue K., Kurokawa S., A ccomparative analysis of EDI integration in US and Japanese automobile suppliers, International Journal of Technology Management, 30, 3/4, 389–414, 2005.
-  Iskandar B.Y., Kurokawa S., LeBlanc L.J., Business-to-business electronic commerce from first and second tier automotive suppliers’ perspectives: a preliminary analysis for hypotheses generation, Technovation, 21, 11, 719–731, 2001.
-  Hart P.J., Saunders C.S., Emerging electronic partnerships: antecedents and dimensions of EDI use from the supplier’s perspective, Journal of Management Information Systems, 14, 4, 87–111, 1998.
-  Hill C.A., Scudder G.D., The use of electronic data interchange for supply chain coordination in the food industry, Journal of Operation Management, 20, 375–387, 2002.
-  Cooper R., Yoshikawa T., Interorganizational cost management systems: the case of the TokyoYokohama-Kamakura supplier chain, International Journal of Production Economics, 37, 1, 51–62, 1994.
-  Tzafestas S., Kapsiotis G., Coordinated control of manufacturing/supply chains using multi-level techniques, Computer Integrated Manufacturing Systems, 7, 3, 206–212, 1994.
-  Shapiro J.F., Singhal V.M., Wagner S.N., Optimizing the value chain, Interfaces, 23, 2, 102–117, 1993.
-  Rayport J.F., Sviokla J.J., Exploiting the virtual value chain, Harvard Business Review, 73, 6, 75– 85, 1995.
-  Bhattacharya A.K., Coleman J.L., Brace G., Repositioning the supplier: an SME perspective, Production Planning and Control, 6, 3, 218–226, 1995.
-  Towill D.R., The seamless supply chain-the predator’s strategic advantage, International Journal of Technology Management, 13, 1, 37–56, 1997.
-  Konsynski B., Strategic control in the extended enterprise, IBM Systems Journal, 32, 1, 111–45, 1993.
-  Clemons E.K., Row M.C., Information technology and industrial cooperation: the changing economics of coordination and ownership, Journal of Management Information Systems, 9, 2, 9–28, 1992.
-  Curran C., Integrated supply chain information systems: the next phase after EDI?, Logistics Information Management, 4, 1, 18–22, 1991.
-  Evans G.N., Naim M.M., Towill D.R., Dynamic supply chain performance: assessing the impact of information systems, Logistics Information Management, 6, 4, 15–25, 1993.
-  Hwang K.M., Lee S.J., How does Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) affect the competitiveness of a firm’s supply chain, Journal of Marketing Thought, 3, 2, 13–18, 2016.
-  Lavie D., Rosenkopf L., Balancing exploration and exploitation in alliance formation, Academy of Management Journal, 49, 4, 797–818, 2006.
-  Vijayasarathy L.R., Robey D., The effect of EDI on market channel relationships in retailing, Information and Management, 33, 2, 73–86, 1997.
-  Malhotra A., Gosain S., Sawy O., Absorptive capacity configurations in supply chains: gearing for partner-enabled market knowledge creation, MIS Quarterly, 29, 1, 145–187, 2005.
-  Robey D., Ghiyoung I., Wareham J.D., Theoretical foundations of empirical research on interorganizational systems: assessing past contributions and guiding future directions, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 9, 9, 297–518, 2008.
-  Bharadwaj S., Bharadwaj A., Bendoly E., The performance effects of complementarities between information systems, marketing, manufacturing, and supply chain processes, Information Systems Research, 18, 4, 437–471, 2007.
-  McKinnon A.C., Electronic data interchange in retail supply, Logistics Information Management, 3, 3, 25–27, 1990.
-  Jimenez L., Munoz R., Integration of supply chain management and logistics: development of an electronic data interchange for SAP servers, 16th European Symposium on Computer Aided Process Engineering and 9th International Symposium on Process Systems Engineering, W. Marquardt, C. Pantelides [Eds.], 220, 2006.
-  Leonard L.N.K., Davis Ch.C., Supply chain replenishment: before-and-after EDI implementation, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 11, 3, 225–232, 2006.
-  Yao Y., Palmer J., Dresner M., An interorganizational perspective on the use of electronicallyenabled supply chains, Decision Support Systems, 43, 884–896, 2007.
-  Mukhopadhyay T., Kekre S., Strategic and operational benefits of electronic integration in B2B procurement processes, Management Science, 48, 10, 1301–1313, 2002.
-  Srinivasan K., Kekre S., Mukhopadhyay T., Impact of electronic data interchange technology on JIT shipments, Management Science, 40, 10, 1994.
-  El Sawy O.A., Malhotra A., Gosain S., Young K.M., IT-intensive value innovation in the electronic economy: insights from Marshall industries, MIS Quarterly, 23, 3, 1999.
-  Cragg P.B., King M., Small firm computing: motivators and inhibitors, MIS Quarterly, 17, 1, 47–59, 1993.
-  Blili S., Raymond L., Information technology: threats and opportunities for small and mediumsized enterprises, International Journal of Information Management, 13, 6, 439–448, 1993.
-  Raymond L., Bergeron F., EDI success in small and medium-sized enterprises: a field study, Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, 6, 2, 161–172, 1996.
-  Riggins F.J., Mukhopadhyay T., Interdependent benefits from interorganisational systems: opportunities for business partner reengineering, Journal of Management Information Systems, 11, 2, 37–57, 1994.
-  Raymond L., Blili S., Adopting EDI in a network enterprise: the case of subcontracting SMEs, European Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management, 3, 3, 165–175, 1997.
-  Chau Y.K., Jim C.F., Adoption of Electronic Data Interchange in small and medium enterprises, Journal of Global Information Management, 10, 4, 61–85, 2002.
-  Goksoy A., Vayvay O., Karabulut G., The new competitive advantage: technological change: an application of Electronic Data Interchange implementation in SME in automotive industry, International Journal of Business Administration, 3, 6, 2012.
-  Mira da Silva M., Challenges for EDI adoption by small and medium size enterprises (SME), IADIS International Conference E-Society, pp. 603–607, 2003.
Opracowanie rekordu w ramach umowy 509/P-DUN/2018 ze środków MNiSW przeznaczonych na działalność upowszechniającą naukę (2019).