The study of structure and glass forming ability of Zr-based amorphous alloy
Wybrane pełne teksty z tego czasopisma
Purpose: This paper tends to present the structure and thermal analysis of selected Zr-based amorphous alloy for welding processes. Design/methodology/approach: The studies were performed on Zr-Cu-Ni-Al system alloy in form of plate. The structure analysis of the studied materials in as-cast state was carried out using XRD method. The thermal properties of the as-cast alloy were examined by DSC and DTA methods. The parameters of GFA included Trg, ΔTx, α, β, γ, δ and S were calculated. Findings: The Zr-based amorphous alloy in form of plate with good GFA was produced by die pressure casting method. The investigation methods revealed that the studied as-cast alloy was amorphous. Although, there is probability of crystallites existence which could not be detected by XRD method. The literature study and calculated GFA parameters indicated that the Zr55Cu30Ni5Al10 alloy exhibits good GFA and thermal stability. It is confirmed that these parameters could be used to determine GFA of tested amorphous alloy for welding processes. This Zr-based BMG could be used as tested material for laser welding process. Research limitations/implications: It is very difficult to obtain a Zr-based BMG with large sizes. Usually, the difficulties of the production of zirconium amorphous alloy are connected with the fact that the constituent elements of the analyzed materials have a high chemical affinity for oxygen, and have different melting points. For this reason, the process of producing BMG in zirconium matrix require the using of additional technology to provide specific conditions for the melting and casting. Practical implications: These obtained values of GFA parameters can suggest that studied alloys are suitable materials for further practical application at welding process. Originality/value: The success formation and investigation of the casted Zr-based BMG. The chemical composition of Zr55Cu30Ni5Al10 alloy was tested first time in our laboratory.
Bibliogr. 23 poz.
- M.Z. MA, H.T. Zong, H.Y. Wang H.Y, The fluidity and molding ability of glass-forming Zr-based alloy melt, Mechanics and Astronomy 51/4 (2008) 438-444.
- W. Pilarczyk, R. Nowosielski, R. Babilas, A production attempt of selected metallic glasses with Fe and Ni matrix, Archives of Materials Science and Engineering 41/1 (2010) 5-12.
- A. Inoue, Recent Progress of Zr-Based Bulk Amorphous Alloys, Science reports of the Research Institutes, Tohoku University, Physics, Chemistry and Metallurgy A42 (1996) 1-11.
- J. F. Löffler, Bulk metallic glasses, Intermetallics 11 (2003) 529-540.
- L. Liu, Q. Chen, K. C. Chan, J. F. Wang, G. K. H. Pang, The effect of high temperature plastic deformation on the thermal stability and microstructure of Zr55Cu30Ni5Al10 bulk metallic glass, Materials Science and Engineering A 449-451 (2007) 949-953.
- A. Inoue, Bulk amorphous and nanocrystalline alloys with high functional properties, Materials Science and Engineering A 304-306 (2001) 1-10.
- A. Inoue, A. Takeuchi, Recent development and application products of bulk glassy alloys, Acta Materialia 59 (2011) 2243-2267.
- Pilarczyk W., The study of glass forming ability of Fe-based alloy for welding processes, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 52/2 (2012) 83-90.
- H. Somekowa, A. Inoue, K. Higashi, Superplastic and bonding behavior on Zr-Al-Ni-Cu metallic glass in supercooled liquid region, Scripta Materialia 50 (2004) 1395-1399.
- C. Fan, A. Inoue, Formation of nanoscale icosahedral quasicrystals and glass-forming ability in Zr-Nb-Ni-Cu-Al metallic glasses, Scripta Materialia 45 (2001) 115-120.
- Y.F. Sun, C.H. Shek, B.C. Wei, W.H. Li, Y.R. Wang, Effect of Nb content on the microstructure and mechanical properties of Zr-Cu-Ni-Al-Nb glass forming alloys, Journal of Alloys and Compounds 403 (2005) 239-244.
- Y.J. Sun, D.D. Qu, Y.J. Huang, K.D. Liss, X.S. Wei, D.W. Xing, J. Shen, Zr-Cu-Ni-Al bulk metallic glasses with superhigh glass-forming ability, Acta Materialia 57 (2009) 1290-1299.
- J. Shen, J. Zou, L. Ye, Z.P. Lu, D.W. Xing, M. Yan, J.F. Sun, Glass-forming ability and thermal stability of a new bulk metallic glass in the quaternary Zr-Cu-Ni-Al system, Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids 351 (2005) 2519-2523.
- W. Pilarczyk, R. Nowosielski, A. Januszka, Structure and properties Fe-Cr-Mo-C bulk metallic glasses obtained by die casting method, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 42 (2010) 81-87.
- A. Inoue, T. Zhang, N. Nishiyama, K. Ohba, T. Masumoto, Preparation of 16 mm diameter rod of amorphous Zr65Al7.5Ni10Cu17.5 alloy, Materials Transactions 34/12 (1993) 1234-1237.
- M. Iqbal, J.I. Akhter, W.S. Sun, H.F. Zhang, Z.Q. Hu, Synthesis and mechanical properties of an amorphous Zr-Ni-Al-Cu alloy, Journal of Alloys and Compounds 422 (2006) 218-222.
- W. Chen, Y. Wang, J. Qiang, C. Dong, Bulk metallic glasses in the Zr-Al-Ni-Cu system, Acta Materialia 51 (2003) 1899-1907.
- X. Hui, S.N. Liu, S.J. Pang, L.C. Zhuo, T. Zhang, G.L. Chen, Z.K. Liu, High-zirconium-based bulk metallic glasses with large plasticity, Scripta Materialia 63 (2010) 239-242.
- J. Saida, A.D. Setyawan, H. Kato, M. Matsushita, A. Inoue, Plastic deformation by glassy structure control in Zr-Al.-Ni-Cu-based BMGs, Journal of Alloys and Compounds 504S (2010) S52-S55.
- N.H. Tariq, B.A. Hasan, J.I. Akhter, F. Ali, Mechanical and tribological properties of Zr-Al-Ni-Cu bulk metallic glasses, Journal of Alloys and Compounds 469 (2009) 179-185.
- Y. Yokoyama, A. Inoue, Compositional dependence of thermal and mechanical properties of quaternary Zr-Cu-Ni-Al bulk glassy alloys, Materials Transactions 48/ 6 (2007) 1282-1287.
- P.K. Gupta, D.B. Miracle, A topological basis for bulk glass formation, Acta Materialia 55 (2007) 4507-4515.
- W. Pilarczyk, A. Radko, The influence of yttrium addition on the GFA of selected iron-based BMG, Archives of Materials Science and Engineering 44/2 (2010) 87-95.