Finding a Balance: Companies and New Seafarers Generation Needs and Expectations
Treść / Zawartość
MET institution’s mission is not only preparing young people for maritime career at sea, forming their professional competences, but also providing help in their career management. For this reason, it is important to know new seafarers’ generation needs and career ambitions, as well as expectations from employers’ point of view. Mutual understanding would help to find a balance between expectations of both and adequately manage changes. Results of research, conducted by surveying 4th year full-time students studying at the Lithuanian Maritime Academy and experts from shipping and crewing companies in Lithuania and Latvia regarding desirable contract conditions and seafarers’ personal and/or professional characteristics, important for successful career, are presented in the article.
Bibliogr. 11 poz., rys.
- 1 Agterberg, G. & Passchier, J. 1998. Stress among seamen. Psychological Reports, 83: 708-710.
- 2 Bencsik, A., Horváth-Csikós, G., Juhász, T. 2016. Y and Z Generations at Workplaces. Journal of Competitiveness, Vol. 8, Issue 3: 90 – 106.
- 3 Caesar, L. & Cahoon, S. 2015. Training Seafarers for Tomorrow: The Need for a Paradigm Shift in Admission Policies. Universal Journal of Management 3(4): 160-167.
- 4 Levickaite, R. 2010. Generations x, y, z: How social networks form the concept of the world without borders (the case of Lithuania). LIMES: Cultural Regionalistics, Vol. 3, No. 2: 170-183.
- 5 Ljung, M. & Widell, G. 2014. Seafarers´ working career in a life cycle perspective - driving forces and turning points. Gothenburg: Chalmers University of Technology.
- 6 Recruitment and Training of Generation Z. Retrieved from internet 2017-01-27. http://www.safety4sea.com/recruitment-training-generation-z/.
- 7 Sampson, H. & Tang, L. 2016. Strange things happen at sea: training and new technology in a multi-billion global industry. Journal of Education and Work, Vol. 29, No. 8: 980-994.
- 8 Tang, L. 2010. Development of online friendship in different social spaces. Information, Communication & Society, Vol. 13, No. 4, June: 615–633.
- 9 Targamadzė, V. 2014. Z karta: charakteristika ir ugdymo metodologinės linkmės įžvalga. Tiltai 4: 95-104.
- 10 Thomas, M., Sampson, H. & Zhao M. 2003. Finding a balance: companies, seafarers and family life. Maritime Policy & Management, Vol. 30, No. 1: 59–76.
- 11 Wu, B. & Morris, J. 2006. A life on the ocean wave: the postsocialist careers of Chinese, Russian and Eastern European seafarers. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 17:1, January: 25–48.
Opracowanie rekordu w ramach umowy 509/P-DUN/2018 ze środków MNiSW przeznaczonych na działalność upowszechniającą naukę (2018).