Recovering relative locations of the 2005-2006 Mukacheve earthquakes from similarity of their waveforms at a single station
An algorithm was designed for inverting the set of cross-correlation coefficients between the records of recurrent earthquakes by a single station for their relative locations based on an assumption of Menke (1999) that the cross-correlation is only a function of separation between the sources and decays exponentially with it. Tested on synthetic data sets, the algorithm easily recovered the true relative locations, the initial ones seeded randomly. Inversion of the cross-correlation coefficients between the records of the two groups of the Mukacheve 2005–2006 recurrent earthquakes by the station Mukacheve steadily produced an almost flat shape of hypocenter cloud for each of the groups, final relative locations of hypocenters being almost the same for different initial seedlings. The combined set of cross-correlation coefficients for both groups was also inverted, and the shape of the combined hypocenter cloud was almost flat again. These results compare well with ones obtained earlier (Gnyp 2010) by relocating the Mukacheve earthquakes with the use of differential arrivals and source specific station terms.
Bibliogr. 8 poz.
- 1. Aki, K., and P.G. Richards (1980), Quantitative Seismology. Theory and Methods. Vols. 1 and 2, Freeman and Co., San Francisco, 932 pp.
- 2. Davis, J.C. (1986), Statistics and Data Analysis in Geology, 2nd ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 383 pp.
- 3. Gnyp, A. (2009), Refining locations of the 2005 Mukacheve, West Ukraine, earthquakes based on similarity of their waveforms, Acta Geophys. 57,2, 330–345, DOI: 10.2478/s11600-008-0071-5.
- 4. Gnyp, A. (2010), Refining locations of the 2005–2006 recurrent earthquakes in Mukacheve, West Ukraine, and implications for their source mechanism and the local tectonics, Acta Geophys. 58,4, 587–603, DOI: 10.2478/s11600-010-0006-9.
- 5. Menke, W. (1999), Using waveform similarity to constrain earthquake locations, Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am. 89,4, 1143–1146.
- 6. Pustovitenko, B.G. (ed.) (2007), Seismological bulletin of Ukraine, 2005, Inst. of Geophysics, Natl. Acad. Sci. Ukraine, Simferopol (in Russian).
- 7. Pustovitenko, B.G. (ed.) (2008), Seismological bulletin of Ukraine, 2006, Inst. of Geophysics, Natl. Acad. Sci. Ukraine, Simferopol (in Russian).
- 8. Shearer, P., E. Hauksson, and G. Lin (2005), Southern California hypocenter relocation with waveform cross-correlation. Part 2: Results using source-specific station terms and cluster analysis, Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am. 95,3, 904–915, DOI: 10.1785/0120040168.