Sustainable lean in SMEs: a quantitative analysis into improvement actions
Treść / Zawartość
Lean has established itself as the primordial approach to obtain operational excellence. Its simple and intuitive techniques focus on reducing lead time through continuous improvement, involving all levels of employees in the organization. However, the rate of successful implementations has remained low. This paper contributes to the understanding of continuous improvement in a Lean context, by analyzing a database of almost 10.000 improvement actions, from 85 companies, covering the time frame 2010–2018. It discusses categories of actions, their impact and cost, as well as key characteristics of the companies. It proposes an objective criterion to identify “success” and “failure” in Lean implementation and tries to link these to operational results. It is probably the first time an analysis of this magnitude on the subject has been performed.
Bibliogr. 27 poz., rys., tab., wykr.
- Ghent University, Dept. of Industrial Systems Engineering and Product Design, Technologiepark, 46, B-9052 Zwijnaarde, Belgium
- Flanders Make, Belgium
- Veltion bvba, Ghent, Belgium
- Ghent University, Dept. of Industrial Systems Engineering and Product Design, Belgium
- Flanders Make, Belgium
- Veltion bvba, Ghent, Belgium
-  Bueno R. [Ed.], Factories of the Future PPP Strategic Multi-annual Roadmap, Publication of the European Office, no. EUR 24282, p. 13, 2010.
-  Pay R., Everybody’s jumping on the Lean Bandwagon, but many are being taken for a Ride, Industry Week, May 1, 2008, p. 3, available from: http://www.industryweek.com/articles [accessed 22 November, 2018].
-  Liker J., Rother M., Why Lean Programs Fail, Lean Enterprise Institute, 2011, pp. 1–5, available from: http://www.Lean.org [accessed 22 November, 2018].
-  Hines P., Creating Sustainable Lean Change, [in:] Best Practices in Managing Continuous Improvement”, Letens G. [Ed.], IIE Webinar Nov. 14, 2012, available from: http://www.iise.org [accessed 22 November, 2018].
-  Glassa R., Seifermanna S., Metternicha J., The Spread of Lean Production in the Assembly, Process and Machining Industry, Procedia CIRP 55, pp. 278–283, 2016.
-  Van Landeghem, H. A management system for sustainable lean implementation, [in:] Handbook of Research on Design and Management of Lean Production Systems, V. Modrak, P. Semanco [Eds.], Business Science Reference (an imprint of IGI Global), pp. 173–187, 2014, print.
-  Koloszàr L., Opportunities of Lean thinking in improving the competitiveness of the Hungarian SME sector, Management and Production Engineering Review, 9, 2, 26–41, 2018.
-  Hu Q., Mason R., Williams S., Found P., Lean implementation within SMEs: a literature review, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 26, 7, 980–1012, 2015.
-  Pereira L., Tortorella G., Identification of the relationships between critical success factors, barriers and practices for Lean implementation in a small company, Brazilian Journal of Operations & Production Management, 15, 2, 232–246, 2018.
-  Sisson J., Elshennawy A., Achieving success with Lean, International Journal of Lean Six Sigma, 6, 3, 263–280, 2015.
-  Jaca C., Viles E., Mateo R., Santos J., Components of sustainable improvement systems: theory and practice, The TQM Journal, 24, 2, 142–154, 2012.
-  Butcher B., Better Lean through better behavior, Industry Market Trends, Sept. 14, 2010, available on: http://news.thomasnet.com/IMT [accessed 3 January, 2013].
-  Jusko J., Lean Confusion, Industry Week, Aug. 13, 2010, available on: http://www.industryweek.com/articles/Lean confusion 22538 [accessed 3 January, 2013].
-  Nguyen N., Chinh N., Exploring critical factors for successfully implementing Lean manufacturing at manufacturing companies in Vietnam, International Journal for Quality Research, 11, 2, 437–456, 2017.
-  Uhrin A., Bruque-Caĕmara S., Moyano-Fuentes J., Lean production, workforce development and operational performance, Management Decision, 55, 1, 103–118, 2017.
-  Belhadi A., Ezzahra E.T., El Fezazi S., A Framework for effective implementation of lean production in small and medium-sized enterprises, Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management, 9, 3, 786– 810, 2016.
-  Worley J., Doolen T., Organizational structure, employee problem solving, and Lean implementation, International Journal of Lean Six Sigma, 6, 1, 39– 58, 2015.
-  Bevilacqua M., Ciarapica F., De Sancti I., Lean practices implementation and their relationships with operational responsiveness and company performance: an Italian study, International Journal of Production Research, 55, 3, 769–794, 2017.
-  Zarbo R., Copeland J., Varney J., Key management subsystem driver of knowledge – based continuous improvement in the Henry Ford production system, American Journal of Clinical Pathology, 148, 354– 367, 2017.
-  Timmons T., Bondarenko S., Chura J., Lean daily management supports perioperative team in achieving safe quality patient care, Journal of Perianesthesia Nursing, 33, 4, E12–E12, 2018.
-  Bateman N., Sustainability: the elusive element of process improvement, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 25, 3, 261–276, 2005.
-  Van Landeghem H., Bauters K., Lim`ere V. A management system for sustainable lean implementation, Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, Proceedings 2013, pp. 941–950.
-  Bicheno, J., Holweg M., The Lean Toolbox, 5th edition, Picsie Books, Buckingham, pp. 342, 2016.
-  Marodin G., Saurin T., Managing barriers to Lean production implementation: context matters, International Journal of Production Research, 53, 13, 3947–3962, 2015.
-  Sundar R., Balaji A., SatheesKumar R., A review on Lean Manufacturing Implementation Techniques, Procedia Engineering, 97, 1875–1885, 2014.
-  Stoll J., New study downplays effects of Lean manufacturing, Reuters, 2011, available on: http://www.reuters.com [accessed: 3/1/2013].
-  Danese P., Manfè V., Romano P., A systematic literature review on recent lean research: state-of-theart and future directions, International Journal of Management Reviews, 20, 579–605, 2018.
Opracowanie rekordu w ramach umowy 509/P-DUN/2018 ze środków MNiSW przeznaczonych na działalność upowszechniającą naukę (2019).