Thermal efficiency investigations on the self-ignition test engine fed with marine low sulfur diesel fuels
Treść / Zawartość
Within the article an issues of implementing the new kinds of marine diesel fuels into ships’ operation was described taking into account restrictions on the permissible sulphur content introduced by the International Maritime Organization. This is a new situation for ship owners and fuel producers, which forces the necessity to carry out laboratory research tests on especially adapted engine stands. How to elaborate the method enabling quality assessment of the self-ignition engine performance, considered in three categories: energy, emission and reliability, represents the key issue of the organization of such research. In the field of energy research, it is necessary to know the thermal efficiency of the engine as the basic comparative parameter applied in diagnostic analyzes and syntheses of sequentially tested marine diesel fuels. This type of scientific research has been worked out for two years in the Department of Marine and Land Power Plants of the Gdańsk University of Technology, as a part of the statutory activities conducted in cooperation with the Regional Fund for Environmental Protection in Gdansk and the LOTOS Group oil company. This article presents the algorithm and results of thermal efficiency calculations of the Farymann Diesel D10 test engine in the conditions of feeding with various low-sulfur marine diesel fuels: distillation and residual fuels. This parameters stands for one of ten diagnostic measures of the ranking of energy and emission quality of newly manufactured marine diesel fuels being built at the Department.
Bibliogr. 8 poz., il kolor., 1 rys.
-  KORCZEWSKI, Z. et al. The method of assessing ecological, energy and reliability effects of the application of modified marine diesel fuels for feeding selfignition engines in real operation conditions. Research project co-financed by the Regional Fund for Environmental Protection in Gdansk. No. RX-10/ 2017. Final Report. Gdańsk University of Technology 2019.
-  KUKUŁA, K. Badania operacyjne w przykładach i zadaniach. PWN. Warszawa 2007.
-  ROZMARYNOWSKA, M. Nowe przepisy IMO odnośnie do zawartości siarki w paliwie statkowym w regionie SECA i związane z tym koszty dla armatorów. Prace Wydziału Nawigacyjnego Akademii Morskiej w Gdyni. 2013, 28.
-  WOODYARD, D. Pounder’s marine diesel engines and gas turbines. 8th edition. Elsevier. United Kingdom 2004.
-  WIŚNIEWSKI, S. Termodynamika techniczna. WNT. Warszawa 2005.
-  Emission Standards, International: IMO Marine Engine Regulations.
-  Report of the Marine Environment Protection Committee, IMO MEPC 70th session, October 2016.
-  Emissions of sulfur oxides and nitrogen oxides. Service of the Ministry of Maritime Economy and Inland Navigation. www.gov.pl/web/gospodarkamorska/emisje-tlenkow-siarki-i-tlenkow-azotu (access 12.02.2019)