International project-oriented training of engineers based on the example of the European Engineering Team
The authors present their analysis, from the viewpoint of competence development and achievement of learning outcomes, of the first round of the innovative teaching program "European Engineering Team", which was implemented within the framework of the ERASMUS+ initiative. The innovativeness of the program lies in its orientation to engineering projects, which the technical university master course curriculum is enriched with, and the cooperation of four European technical universities. The students independently select and specify engineering problems related to sustainable development. The formula of the program changes the traditional approach to mobility known from other ERASMUS+ activities. During its implementation the students participated in four international meetings, consultations, web conferences and teleconferences, which is in line with the current trends of the global labor market. Between the direct meetings, they have cooperated with each other remotely, simultaneously participating in the regular courses at their home technical universities. The aim of the project was to verify the effectiveness of the proposed approach towards inter-institutional initiatives using blended teaching methods. This approach is aimed at developing competences in the area of defining engineering problems within the framework of sustainable development, the cooperation in international and geographically dispersed teams and working in interdisciplinary projects while utilizing the knowledge from many disciplines. The approach proved to be effective and the students' competences in the assumed areas have increased significantly. At the same time, the experience gained has allowed to identify the areas in which learning outcomes can be increased and the focus will be placed on them in the next round of the program.(original abstract)
- Beaver, J.K., Hallar, B., Westmaas, L. (2014). Blended learning. Defining models and examining conditions to support implementation.
- Bonk, C.J., Graham, C.R. (2006). The handbook of blended learning environments: Global perspectives, local designs. San Francisco (CA): Pfeiffer.
- Claesson, A.N., Svanstrom, M. (2015). Developing systems thinking for sustainable development in engineering education. Proceedings of EESD'15. DOI: 10.14288/1.0064722.
- Dewey, J. (2007). Education and experience (1st Touchstone Edition eBook). New York: Si-mon and Schuster.
- Flores, R.I., Soto, C.M., Holliger, C. (2012). Internationalization and transdisciplinary education in design: success factors and pitfalls. Strategic Design Research Journal, 5(2), 70-74.
- Gharfalkar, M., Court, R., Campbell, C., Ali, Z., Hillier, G. (2015). Analysis of waste hierarchy in the European waste directive 2008/98/EC. Waste Management, 39, 305-313.
- Gladysz, B., Urgo, M., Gaspari, L., Pozzan, G., Stock, T., Haskins, C., Jarzebowska, E., Kohl, H. (2018). Sustainable Innovation in a Multi-University Master Course. Procedia Manufactur-ing, 21, 18-25.
- Haskins, C., Stock, T., Gladysz, B., Urgo, M. (2017). Disciplinary Convergence: Implications for Systems Engineering Research. A.M. Madni, B. Boehm, D.A. Erwin, R. Ghanem, M.J. Wheaton (Eds.). Proceedings of the 15th CSER, 1095-1106.
- Jack, H., Mott., R, Raju, V., Conkol, G., Stratton, M., Waldrop, P., Wosczyna-Birch, K., Bates, S. (2011). Curricula 2015; A Four Year Strategic Plan Manufacturing Education. Re-trieved from: https://sites.google.com/site/curricula2015.
- European Commission (2010). Strategia na rzecz inteligentnego i zrównoważonego rozwoju sprzyjającego włączeniu społecznemu. Retrieved from: http://ec.europa.eu/eu2020/pdf/1_PL_ACT_part1_v1.pdf.
- Kolb, A.Y., Kolb, D.A. (2005). Learning Styles and Learning Spaces: Enhancing Experiential Learning in Higher Education. Academy of Management Learning & Education, 4(2), 193-212.
- Kolb, D.A. (2015). Experiential learning: experience as the source of learning and development, 2nd edition. Upper Saddle River (NY): Pearson Education.
- Kurtz, B., Fenwick, J. Jr, Ellsworth, C., Yuan, X., Steele, A., Jia, X. (2007). Inter-University software engineering using web services. I. Russell, S. Haller, J.D. Dougherty, S. Rodger, G. Lewandowski (Eds.). Proceedings of the 38th SIGCSE, 464-468.
- Lane, T.J. (1994). Educating European Construction Managers of the Future: The Development of a Transnational Taught Master's Course. European Journal of Engineering Education, 19(4), 443-448. DOI: 10.1080/03043799408923311.
- MacLeod, I.A. (2010). The education of innovative engineers. Engineering, construction and architectural management, 17(1), 21-34.
- May, D., Wold, K.A., Moore, S.L. (2014). Developing Cultural Competencies through Trans-national Learning Experiences in Active Online Learning Environments. International Journal of Engineering Pedagogy, 4(5), 12-19.
- Oladiran, M.T., Uziak, J., Eisenberg, M., Scheffer, C. (2011). Global Engineering Teams - A Programme Promoting Teamwork in Engineering Design and Manufacturing. European Journal of Engineering Education, 36(2), 173-186.
- Paasivaara, M., Lassenius, C., Damian, D., Raty, P., Schroter, A. (2013). Teaching students global software engineering skills using distributed Scrum. D. Notkin, B.H.C. Cheng, K. Pohl (Eds.). Proceedings of the 35th ICSE, 1128-1137.
- Paci, A.M., Lalle, C., Chiacchio, M.S. (2013). Education for innovation: trends, collaborations and views. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 24(3), 487-493. DOI: 10.1007/s10845-012-0631-z.
- Petrea, E., Velescu. E. (2014). An Example of Science Students' Interaction in a Foreign Language for the Implementation of Inter-university Research Projects. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 141, 707-711. DOI: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.05.124.
- Piaget, J. (1964). Development and learning. R.E. Ripple, V.N. Rockcastle (Eds.). Piaget Re-discovered: A Report on the Conference of Cognitive Studies and Curriculum Development, 7-20.
- Sanderson, H. (2017). Bottom-up Climate Adaptation Strategies towards a Sustainable Eu-rope. Impact, 1, 63-65.
- Schein, E.H. (1996). Kurt Lewin's change theory in the field and in the classroom: notes to-ward a model of managed learning. Systems practice, 1, 27-47.
- Sharma, B., Steward, B., Ong, S.K., Miguez, F.E. (2017). Evaluation of teaching approach and student learning in a multidisciplinary sustainable engineering course. Journal of Cleaner Production, 142(4), 4032-4040.
- Stock, T., Kohl, H. (2018). Perspectives for International Engineering Education: Sustainable-oriented and Transnational Teaching and Learning. Procedia Manufacturing, 21, 10-17.
- Stock, T., Seliger, G. (2016), Methodology for the Development of Hardware Startups. Advanced Materials Research, 1140, 505-512.
- Stock, T., Haskins, C., Gladysz, B., Urgo, M., Kohl, H. (2017). A guideline for planning and implementing an action-based and transnational course in higher engineering education: A Case for Sustainable Value Creation. J.C. Quadrado, J. Bernardino, J. Rocha (Eds.). Proceedings of the 45th SEFI Annual Conference, 33-40.
- Stock, T., Haskins, C., Gładysz, B., Urgo, M., Kohl, H., Strandhagen, J.O., Jarzębowska, E., Tolio, T. (2016). Development of a Project-Oriented and Transnational Master Course for Training the Engineering Competencies Required in an Increasingly Demanding Work-life in Europe. Proceedings of the 44th SEFI Annual Conference. 1-13.
- Tuckman, B.W. (1965). Developmental sequence in small groups. Psychological Bulletin, 63(6), 384-399. DOI: 10.1037/h0022100.
- UN (2015). Sustainable Development Goals. Retrieved from: http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals.
- Vernon, J. (2000). Engineering Education: finding the centre or 'back to the future'. European Journal of Engineering Education, 25(3), 215-225.
- D.D. Walden, G.J. Roedler, K.J. Forsberg, R.D. Hamelin, T.M. Shortell (Eds.) (2015). Sys-tems Engineering Handbook: A Guide for System Life Cycle Processes and Activities, 4th ed. Hoboken (NY): John Wiley & Sons.
- Ziemian, C.W., Sharma, M.M. (2007). Adapting Learning Factory Concepts Towards Integrated Manufacturing Education. International Journal of Engineering Education, 24(1), 199-210.