Redemocratization Efforts in Hungary as a Second Try: Civil Society Organizations and Mass Movements
This paper tries to argue that Hungary has been the classical case for the decline of democracy, including the marginalization and the state control of civil society that may be turned into the redemocratization efforts in the spirit of "bottom-up democratization". This decline of democracy has been accomplished by the Orbán governments since 2010 given their two-thirds supermajority that has allowed them to introduce a new Constitution without national consent and without approval by referendum. The radical change in legislation has also concerned the regulation of civil society organizations and the freedom of the media. As a result, a strong resistance has emerged against this increasing authoritarian rule, producing a series of democratic innovations and has promised a second try of democratization.(original abstract)
- About ImpACT Hungary, http://www.demnet.hu/en/empowerment-of-civil-society/ transparency-and-impact/163-about-impact-magyarorszag.
- Annual Reports: http://autonomia.hu/hu/rolunk/evesjelentes, http://autonomia.hu/hu/ rolunk/evesjelentes.
- ACRN-CRCB, Corruption Research Center Budapest (2015), From Corruption to State Capture: A New Analytical Framework, http://corruptionresearchnetwork.org.
- Amnesty International (2015a), Authorities must end unprecedented crackdown on NGOs, http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/hungary-authorities-must-end-unprecedentedcrackdown- ngos-2015-02-02.
- Amnesty International (2015b), Report 2014/15, The State of the World's Human Rights, https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/pol10/0001/2015/en/
- Amnesty International Hungary (2015), Their Backs to the Wall: Civil Society under Pressure in Hungary http://www.amnesty.hu/data/file/756-back_to_the_walls_eur270012015_ en.pdf?version=1412429919.
- Armingeon K. and Guthmann K. (2014), Democracy in crisis? The declining support for national democracy in European countries 2007-2011, "European Journal of Political Research", Vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 423-442.
- Ágh A. (2013), The triple crisis in Hungary: The 'Backsliding' of Hungarian Democracy after Twenty Years, "Romanian Journal of Political Science" (PolSci), Vol. 13, no. 1, Summer 2013, pp. 25-51.
- Ágh A. (2014a), The fall of the Berlin Wall and European politics: Perspectives of new Europe in the early twenty-first century, in: J.M. Magone (ed.), Routledge Handbook of European Politics, London: Routledge, pp. 116-131.
- Ágh A. (2014b), Decline of democracy in East-Central Europe: The last decade as the lost decade in democratization, "Journal of Comparative Politics", Vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 4-33.
- Ágh A. (2015a), The Transformation of the Hungarian Party System: From the Democratic Chaos to the Electoral Autocracy, "Südosteuropa", Vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 201-222.
- Ágh A. (2015b), The Triple Crisis in the New Member States: The historical trajectory of NMS-8 in the Past Quarter Century, "Southeastern Europe", Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 294-317.
- Ágh A. (2016), De-Europeanization and de-Democratization trends in ECE: From the Potemkin democracy to the elected autocracy in Hungary, "Journal of Comparative Politics", Vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 36-58.
- Átlátszó (2015), A Szegények voksa [The vote of the poor], Common paper of Transparency- Hu, K-Monitor, Political Capital and Transparency International Hungary, http://atlatszo.hu/2015/02/19/a-szegenyek-voksa-kozmunka-es-a-valasztas-tisztasaganakkockazatai/.
- Banac I. (2014), Twenty-Five Years After the Fall of the Berlin Wall, "East European Politics and Societies and Cultures", Special Issue on the Post-1989 Developments in the Region, pp. 653-657.
- Bertelsmann Foundation (2015), Next Generation Democracy, www.nextgenerationdemocracy. org and http://www.bti-project.org/next-generation-democracy.
- Bridoux J., Kurki M.H. (2014), Democracy Promotion, London: Routledge.
- Cabada L. (2013), Parties with No Members?: How to Ensure Political Participation in East Central Europe, in: K. N. Demetriou (ed.), Democracy in Transition. Political Participation in the European Union, Heidelberg; New York; Dordrecht; London: Springer, pp. 77-94.
- Cassani A. (2014), Hybrid what? Partial consensus and persistent divergences in the analysis of hybrid regimes, "International Political Science Review", Vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 542-558.
- Charron N. (2014), European Quality of Government Index (EQI), https://nicholascharron. wordpress.com/european-quality-of-government-index-eqi/
- Cohen-Setton J. (2015), Is blogging dead? (The Social/Communication Map), Bruegel, 9 February 2015, http://www.bruegel.org/nc/blog/detail/article/1564.
- Demetriou K. N. (ed.) (2013), Democracy in Transition: Political Participation in the European Union, Heidelberg; New York Springer.
- Demos (2013), Backsliders: Measuring democracy in the EU, http://www.demos.co.uk/publications/ backsliders.
- Denk T., Silander D. (2012), Problems in Paradise? Challenges to future democratization in democratic states, "International Political Science Review", Vol. 33, no. 1, January 2012, pp. 25-40.
- Dimitrova A. (2010), The new member states of the EU in the aftermath of enlargement: do new European rules remain empty shells?, "Journal of European Public Policy", Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 137-148.
- EC, European Commission (2013a), The EU Justice Scoreboard - A tool to promote effective justice and growth, COM(2013) 160 final, Brussels, 27 March 2013.
- EC, European Commission (2013b), In-depth review of Hungary, Brussels, 10.4.2013, SWD(2013) 119 final.
- EC, European Commission (2014a), A new EU Framework to strengthen the Rule of Law, Brussels, 11.3.2014, COM(2014) 158 final.
- EC, European Commission (2014b), European Commission presents a framework to safeguard the rule of law in the European Union, Strasbourg, 11 March 2014 (IP/14/237).
- EC, European Commission (2014c), General Report on the Activities of European Union, Brussels, 21.1.2014, COM(2014) 12 final.
- EC, European Commission (2014d), Remarks by President Barroso on the future of Justice and Home Affairs and the Rule of Law Initiative, European Parliament, Strasbourg, 11 March 2014 (Speech/14/204).
- EC, European Commission (2014e), The 2014 EU Justice Scoreboard, COM(2014) 155 final, Brussels, 17 March 2014.
- EC, European Commission (2014f), Viviane Reding, A new Rule of Law initiative, European Parliament, Strasbourg, 11 March 2014 (Speech/14/2002).
- EC, European Commission, Transparency International (2014), EU Anti-Corruption Report, Brussels, 3.2.2014, COM(2014) 38 final, http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/ e library/documents/policies/organized-crime-and-human trafficking/corruption/docs/ acr_2014_en.pdf.
- EEA and Norway Grants Report (2015), Mid Term Evaluation of the NGO Programmes under the EEA and Norway Grants (2009-2014), http://eegrants.org.
- EIU, The Economist Intelligence Unit (2014), What's gone wrong with democracy and how to revive it, 1 March 2014, http://www.economist.com/news/essays/21596796-democracywas- most-successful-political-idea-20th-century-why-has-it-run-trouble-and-what-canbe- do.
- EIU, The Economist Intelligence Unit (2015), Democracy Index 2014, http://www.eiu.com/ public/thankyou_download.aspx?activity=download&campaignid=Democracy0115.
- EKINT (2014), Timeline of Governmental Attacks against Hungarian NGO Sphere, http://www.ekint.org/ekint_files/File/timeline_of_gov_attacks_against_hungarian_ ngos_20141020.pdf.
- EP, European Parliament (2013), Report on the situation of fundamental rights standards and practices in Hungary (24.6.2013), http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc. do?pubRef=-//EP//NONSGML+REPORT+A7-2013-0229+0+DOC+PDF+V0//EN.
- Epstein, R., Jacoby W. (2014), Eastern Enlargement Ten Years On: Transcending the East- -West Divide? "Journal of Common Market Studies", Vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 1-16; Special Issue on Eastern Enlargement Ten Years On.
- ESF, European Science Foundation, Forward Look (2012), Central and Eastern Europe Beyond Transition: Convergence and Divergence in Europe, Strasbourg: ESF.
- European Catch-Up Index 2014 (2014), Lessenski M. (ed.), The Gravity Effect: Findings of the European Catch-Up Index 2014, European Policies Initiative-Open Society Institute, December 2014, http://eupi.osi.bg/cgi-bin/e-cms/vis/vis.pl?s=001&p=0070&g=.
- Hall J. and Rickard L. (2013), People, Progress and Participation : How Initiatives Measuring Social Progress Yield Benefits Beyond Better Metrics, Bertelsmann Foundation, Global Choices 1, http://www.bertelsmann-stiftung.de/cps/rde/xbcr/SID-4F316F1B-694A6F0C/ bst_engl/xcms_bst_dms_37947_37948_2.pdf.
- HEPF (2014a), Civil Partner, http://www.civiljogok.hu/en, http://www.civiljogok.hu/en
- HEPF (2014b), Medium and Micro Project Proposals, Autumn 2014, https://norvegcivilalap. hu/en/node/10419.
- HCLU (2014a), HCLU Litigates Hungarian Service Providers to Terminate Data Retention, http://tasz.hu/en/data-protection/hclu-litigates-hungarian-service-providers-terminatedata- retention.
- HCLU (2014b), We do not want Roma here, http://tasz.hu/en/romaprogram/we-do-not- -want-roma-here.
- Herman L.E. (2015), Re-evaluating the post-communist success story: party elite loyalty, citizen mobilization and the erosion of Hungarian democracy, "European Political Science Review", Vol. 7, issue 1, pp. 1-34.
- Human Rights Watch (2015), World Report 2015, Hungary, http://www.hrw.org/world- -report/2015/country-chapters/european-union.
- Hungarian Helsinki Committee (2014a), Disrespect for European Values in Hungary, 2010-2014, 21 November 2014, http://helsinki.hu/en/disrespect-for-european-values- -in-hungary-2010-2014.
- Hungarian Helsinki Committee (2014b), Governmental attacks against Hungarian NGOs discussed at OSCE human rights meeting, 23 September 2014, http://helsinki.hu/en/ governmental-attacks-against-hungarian-ngos-discussed-at-european-conference.
- IDEA, International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (2014), Constitution- building, http://www.idea.int/publications/constitution-building-a-global-review/ loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&pageid=65189.
- Innes A. (2014), The Political Economy of State Capture in Central Europe, "Journal of Common Market Studies", Vol. 52, no. 1; Special Issue on Eastern Enlargement Ten Years On, pp. 88-104.
- Kirbis A. (2014), Political Participation and Non-democratic Political Culture in Western Europe, East-Central Europe and Post-Yugoslav Countries, in: K. N. Demetriou (ed.), Democracy in Transition. Political Participation in the European Union, pp. 225-252.
- K-Monitor (2014), Declaration of three NGOs: This is the minimum against corruption, http://www.ezaminimum.hu.
- Krasztev P. and Van Til, J. (2013), Tarka ellenállás: Kézikönyv Rebelliseknek és Békéseknek [Colourful Resistance: Handbook for Rebelling and Peaceful People], Budapest: Napvilág Publisher.
- Kreatív (2015), Hogyan működött Orbán és Simicska médiabirodalma? [How did the MediaEmpire of the Orbán and Simicska work], http://www.kreativ.hu/databanya/cikk/ hogyan_mukodott_orban_es_simicska_mediabirodalma
- Lamprianou I. (2014), Contemporary Political Participation Research: A Critical Assessment, in: K. N. Demetriou (ed.), Democracy in Transition. Political Participation in the European Union, pp. 21-42.
- Landman T. (2007), Developing Democracy: Concepts, Measures, and Empirical Relationships, International IDEA, May 2007, http://www.idea.int/resources/analysis/upload/developing-democracy-landman.pdf.
- MACI (2015), Hungarian Civil Organizations (HU-CI) Maci-kampány [HU-CI campaign], http://sziamaci.hu/.
- Markanntonatou M. (2014), The Post-Welfare State and Changing Forms of Political Participation, in: K. N. Demetriou (ed.), Democracy in Transition. Political Participation in the European Union, pp. 43-60.
- McGann J. (2015), Thinks Tanks and Civil Societies Program, 2014 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report, University of Pennsylvania, 1-22-2015, http://repository.upenn.edu/ cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1008&context=think_tanks.
- MMM (2014), What is the problem with the media laws? http://mertek.eu.
- MMM (2015), Gasping for Air: Soft Censorship in Hungarian Media 2014, http://mertek. eu/en/reports/gasping-for-air-soft-censorship-in-hungarian-media-2014.
- Moeller J. and Skaaning S.-E. (2013), Autocracies, democracies, and the violation of civil liberties, in: P. Köllner and S. Kailitz (eds.) (2013), "Democratization", Vol. 20, no. 1; Special Issue Unpacking Autocracies: Explaining Similarity and Difference, pp. 82-106.
- Morlino L. (2009), Are there hybrid regimes? Or are they just optical illusion? "European Political Science Review", Vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 273-296.
- Morlino L. (2012), Changes for Democracy: Actors, Structures, Processes, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Mudde C. (2014), The 2014 Hungarian parliamentary elections, or how to craft a constitutional majority, "The Washington Post", 14 April 2014, http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/04/14/the-2014-hungarian-parliamentary-elections-or-howto- craft-a-constitutional-majority/.
- Muiznieks N. (2014), Report by the Commissioner for Human Rights of the Council of Europe Following the Visit to Hungary from 1 to 4 July 2014, Strasbourg, 16 December 2014, https://wcd.coe.int/com.instranet.InstraServlet?command=com.instranet.Cmd- BlobGet&InstranetImage=2662996&SecMode=1&DocId=2218468&Usage=2.
- Müller J.W. (2014), Eastern Europe Goes South, "Foreign Affairs", Vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 12-16.
- Nagy Á. (2014), A civil társadalom domesztikálása [The domestication of civil society], in: B. Magyar, A posztkommunista maffiaállam [The post-communist mafia-state], Vol. 2, Budapest: Noran, pp. 129-142.
- Nane (2014), Power to Change, manual against domestic violence (in five countries), http://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic-violence-articles.asp?section= 00010001002200370001&itemid=1841.
- Newton K. (2012), Curing the democratic malaise with democratic innovations, in: B. Geissel and K. Newton (eds.), Evaluating democratic innovations: curing the democratic malaise? London and New York: Routledge, pp. 3-20.
- OSCE, Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (2014), Hungary, Parliamentary Elections, 6 April 2014, Final Report, http://www.osce.org/odihr/elections/ hungary/121098?download=true.
- Papadopoulos Y. (2013), Democracy in Crisis? Politics, Governance and Policy, Houndmills: Palgrave-Macmillan.
- Pogrebinschi T. (2014), The Pragmatic Turn of Democracy: Combining Representation and Participation, WZB (Wissenschaft Zentrum Berlin) Report 2014, pp. 55-58.
- Politicy Network, Farrell D. (2015), Democratic decline or democratic evolution? http://www.policy-network.net/pno_detail.aspx?ID=4843&title=Democratic-decline-ordemocratic- evolution.
- Roberts A. (2009), The Quality of Democracy in Eastern Europe: Public Preferences and Policy Reforms, Cambridge University Press.
- Rothstein B. (1998), Political Institutions: An Overview, in: R. Goodin and H.-D. Klingemann (eds.), A New Handbook of Political Science, Oxford University Press, pp. 133-166.
- Rupnik J. and Zielonka J. (2013), The State of Democracy 20 Years on: Domestic and External Factors, "East European Politics and Societies", Vol. 27, no. 3; Special Issue on The State of Democracy 20 Years On, pp. 1-25.
- Ryan L. (2014), Scientific Democracy in the European Research Area, "Science and Public Policy", http://era.ideasoneurope.eu/2014/11/03/scientific-democracy-european-research- area/.
- Rye L. (2013), Introduction to L. Rye (ed.), Distant Voices: Ideas of democracy and the Eurozone crisis, Oslo: Akademika Publishing.
- SN (2013a), About the rule of law: Declaration of the Hungarian Student Network and the Hungarian High School Network, http://hallgatoihalozat.blog.hu/2013/02/09/about_ the_rule_of_law_declaration_of_the_hungarian_student_network_and_the_hungarian_ high_school_net.
- SN (2013b), HaHa on how the 4th Constitutional Amendment effects students in Hungary, http://hallgatoihalozat.blog.hu/9999/12/31/haha_on_the_4th_constitutional_amendment_ of_hungary.
- SN (2013c), Higher education under threat in Hungary, https://www.opendemocracy.net/can-europe-make-it/k roly-f zessi/higher-education-under-threat-in-hungary.
- Tavares R. (2013), Draft Report on the situation of human rights: standards and practices in Hungary, European Parliament, Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs, 2012/2130(INI), 2.5.2013, http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP// NONSGML+COMPARL+PE-508.211+02+DOC+PDF+V0//EN&language=EN.
- Transparency-Hu (2015a), A new holiday resort for the Prime Minister's family, http://english.atlatszo.hu/2015/01/27/a-new-holiday-resort-for-the-prime-ministers-family/
- Transparency-Hu (2015b), Atlatszo.hu unravels intricate web behind suspicious Budapest real estate sellout, http://english.atlatszo.hu/2015/02/10/atlatszo-hu-unravels-intricateweb- behind-suspicious-budapest-real-estate-sellout/
- Transparency-Hu (2015c), Winning the deal is all about being in the right place at the right time, http://english.atlatszo.hu/2015/02/10/winning-the-deal-is-all-about-being-in-theright- place-at-the-right-time/
- Transparency International Hungary (2014a), Authorities should crackdown on corruption, 27 October 2014, http://www.transparency.hu/Transparency_International__authorities_ should_crack_down_on_corruption?bind_info=index&bind_id=0.
- Transparency International (2014b), Corruption Perception Index 2014, http://www.transparency.org/cpi2014, http://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results
- Transparency International Hungary (2014c), CPI 2014, Hungary (in Hungarian), http://www.transparency.hu/A_korrupcio_2014-es_vilagterkepe.
- Varga Á. (2014), Kleptocracy Banned: The Hungarian Tax Authority Scandal (24 November 2014), Police raids against Hungarian NGOs (25 September 2014) and Orbán's government in an endless war against "Hungary's enemies" (01 July 2014), Heinrich Böll Stiftung, http://www.boell.de/en/person/aron-varga.