Are the Poles increasingly well off?
The assessment of various aspects of operation of the Polish elites is a methodologically complex research task. Even identification of this new social group is in itself problematic. However, the group is noticeably growing in numbers. Therefore, a statement that the Poles become wealthier is justified, which is proven by the analysis of distribution of income and consumer spending. Apart from the areas of evident poverty, there are symptoms of creation of the middle class, one of the attributes of which is a particular material status. This can also signify, that Polish economic growth slowly begins to translate into the increasing wealth of the society. The most important information originating from the public statistics is, that as soon as the basic consumer needs are satisfied, almost a half of income in well-off households is available for non-consumer purposes. This is good news for firms in the property and the capital markets, as well as for producers of luxury goods. (author's abstract)
- Podgórski J. , Dochody a wyposażenie gospodarstw domowych, Unpublished materials from research concerning consumer demand, ordered by the Department of Macro-Economic and Structural Analyses of the Polish National Bank, Warsaw, January 2005.
- Jasiecki K., Elita biznesu w Polsce. Drugie narodziny kapitalizmu, IF i S PAN, Warsaw 2002.
- Budżety gospodarstw domowych w 2002 roku, GUS, Warsaw, p. XVII.
- Luszniewicz A., Słaby T., Statystyka. Teoria i zastosowania, Wyd. C.H. Beck, Warsaw, II edition, 2003, p. 24 and following.
- Metodyka i organizacja badaƒ budżetów gospodarstw domowych, GUS, Warsaw, 1999, p. 21-22.