Requirement Engineering for Effective Mobile Learning: Modelling Mobile Device Technologies Integration for Alignment with Strategic Policies in Learning Establishments
In spite of several efforts in the last decade by researchers and educators, expected potential from the use of mobile device technology (MDT) to effect learning transformation is largely unfulfilled. Quantifying benefits of MDTs in learning, either through achievement of learning objectives or enhancement of the process, remains problematic. Rapid changes in development and manufacture also continue to present additional challenges. Most trials typically employ use case approach of evidencing benefits through usage experience. In this paper, application of Requirement Engineering (RE) methodologies to specify goals and requirements for mobile learning (ML) is proposed. Alignment with teaching and learning strategies as well as other institutional goals and strategies will be essential for successful integration of MDTs in learning. RE techniques can be used to achieve this. Finally, a case study is presented to illustrate the use of some of the approaches proposed.(original abstract)
- Ackerman E., "The Bring-Your-Own-Device dilemma: employees and businesses seek to balance privacy and security," IEEE Spectrum, vol. 50(8), pp. 22, Aug 2013.
- Ang J. K., Leong S. B., Lee C. F., Yusof U. K., "Requirement engineering techniques in developing expert systems", IEEE Symposium on Computers & Informatics, pp. 640-645, 2011.
- Batool A., Motla Y. H., Hamid B., Asghar S., Riaz M., Muktar M., Ahmed M., "Comparative study of traditional requirement engineering and agile requirement engineering," Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT) 15th International Conference, pp. 1006-1014, 2013.
- Berenbach B., Paulish D. J., Kazmeier J., Rudorfer A., Software & systems requirements engineering: in practice, McGraw Hill, 2009, pp. 48-153.
- Dardenne A., Van Lamsweerde A., et al, "Goal-directed requirements acquisition." Science of Computer Programming, vol. 20(1-2), pp. 3-50, 1993.
- Department for Work & Pensions (DWP), Digital strategies, pp. 1-32, Dec 2012.
- Donzelli P. and Bresciani P., "Goal-oriented requirements engineering: a case study in e-government," Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 601-616, 2003.
- Easterbrook S. and Nuseibeh B., "Requirements engineering: a roadmap," ICSE 2000 Conference on The Future of Software Engineering, 35-46, 2000.
- Easterbrook S., "What is requirements engineering? (Manuscript in preparation)," [online] Available: http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~sme/papers/2004/FoRE-chapter01-v7.pdf. [Last accessed: 28 February 2014], 2004.
- Fidock J. and Carroll J., "Why do users employ the same system in so many different ways?" IEEE Computer Society, pp. 32-39, 2011.
- Frohberg D., Göth C., Schwabe G., "Mobile Learning projects - a critical analysis of the state of the art," Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, Blackwell Publishing Ltd, vol. 25, pp. 307-331, 2009.
- Gartner, Hype cycles, [online] Available: http://www.gartner.com/technology/research/methodologies/hypecycle.jsp. [Last accessed: 11 June 2014], n.d.
- Green S., "Goal-oriented approaches to requirements engineering," Requirements Engineering, University of the West of England, pp. 1-39, n.d.
- Hopkins N., Sylvester A., Tate M., "Motivations for BYOD: an investigation of the contents of a 21st century school bag," 21st European Conference on Information Systems, pp. 1-12, 2013.
- Jaramillo D., Katz N., Bodin B., Tworek W., Smart R., Cook T., "Cooperative solutions for Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)," IBM Journal of Research & Development, vol. 57(6), pp. 5:1-5:11, Nov/Dec 2013.
- Jones & Bartlett Learning, "Quantitative versus qualitative research, or both?" [online] Available: http://samples.jbpub.com/9780763780586/80586_CH03_Keele.pdf. [Last accessed: 28 February 2014], n.d.
- Kausar S., Tariq S., Riaz S., Khanum A., "Guidelines for the selection of elicitation techniques," 6th International Conference on Emerging Technologies (ICET), pp. 265-269, 2010.
- Kavakli E. and Loucopoulos P., "Goal modelling in requirements engineering: analysis and critique of current methods," Information Modeling Methods and Methodologies: Advanced Topics in Database Research, pp. 102-124, 2005.
- Lakmazaheri S. and Rasdorf W. J., "An artifact modelling approach for developing integrated engineering systems." [online] Available: http://etd.lib.ncsu.edu/publications/bitstream/1840.2/652/1/95+an+artifact+modeling+approach+for+developing+ [Last accessed: 18 June 2014], n.d.
- Lennon R. G., "Changing user attitudes to security in Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) & the cloud," Tier 2 Federation Grid, Cloud & High Performance Computing Science (RO-LCG), 2012 5th Romania, pp. 49-52, 2012.
- Liaskos S., McIlraith S. A., Sohrabi S., Mylopoulos J., "Guidelines for the selection of elicitation techniques," 18th IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference, pp. 135-144, 2010.
- MacDiarmid A. and Lindsay P., "Can system of systems be given self-x requirement engineering capabilities?" Systems Engineering and Test and Evaluation Conference 2010 (SETE 2010), Systems Engineering Society of Australia, 1-15, 2010.
- Mylopoulos J. and Chung L., et al, "From object-oriented to goaloriented requirements analysis", Communications of the ACM, 42(1), pp. 31-37, 1999.
- Nussbaum M. and Infante C., "Guidelines for educational software design that considers the interests and needs of teachers and students," IEEE 13th International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies, pp. 243-247, 2013.
- Oracle Communications, Opportunity Calling: The Future of Mobile Communications - Take Two, Oracle Communications, [online] Available: http://www.oracle.com/us/industries/communications/oraclecommunications-future-mobile-521589.pdf. [Last accessed: 6 March 2013], 2011.
- Peng H., Su Y., Chou C., Tsai C., "Ubiquitous knowledge construction: mobile learning re-defined and a conceptual framework," Innovations in Education and Teaching International, Routledge Taylor & Francis Group, vol. 46(2), pp. 171-183, 2009.
- Pohl K., "Requirements engineering: fundamentals, principles and techniques," Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2010.
- Reilly K., "Designing research for the emerging field of open development," Information Technologies & International Development, vol. 7(1), pp. 47-60, 2011.
- Sutcliffe A. G., "Requirements engineering," in Soegaard, Mads and Dam, Rikke Friis (eds.), "The Encyclopedia of Human-Computer Interaction, 2nd Ed.," Aarhus, Denmark: The Interaction Design Foundation. [online] Available: at http://www.interactiondesign.org/encyclopedia/requirements_engineering.html. [Last accessed: 28 February 2014], 2013.
- The Cloud, UK leading network infrastructure company JANET partners with The Cloud, [online] Available: http://www.thecloud.net/wifi/news/uk-leading-network-infrastructurecompany-janet-partners-with-the-cloud/. [Last accessed: 26 March 2014], 2013.
- The Express, Mobiles face ban in schools, [online] Available: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/319250/Mobiles-face-ban-inschools, [Last accessed: 26 March 2014], 2012.
- Ullah A. and Lai R., "Modelling business goal for business/IT alignment using requirement engineering," Journal of Computer Information Systems, vol. 7(1), pp. 21-28, 2011.
- Universities UK in collaboration with Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), "Higher Education: A diverse and changing sector: Patterns and trends in UK Higher Education." [online] Available: http://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/highereducation/Documents/2013/PatternsAndTrendsinUKHigherEducation2013.pdf. [Last accessed: 11 June 2014], pp. 2, 2013.
- University of East London, [online] Available: http://www.uel.ac.uk/planning/, [Last accessed: 26 March 2014], n.d.
- Van Lamsweerde A., "Goal-oriented requirements engineering: a guided tour," RE'01, 5th IEEE International Symposium on Requirements Engineering, Toronto, pp. 249-263, Aug 2001.
- Zakaria N. H., Haron A., Sahibuddin S., Harun M., "Requirement engineering critical issues in public sector software project success factor," International Journal of Information and Electronics Engineering, vol. 1(3), pp. 200-209, 2011.
- Zheng X., Liu X., Liu S., "Use case and non-functional scenario template-based approach to identify aspects, Second International Conference on Computer Engineering and Applications, pp. 89-93, 2010.