Synthesis of Real Time Distributed Applications for Cloud Computing
This paper presents the methodology for the synthesis of real-time applications for the Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) model of cloud computing. We assume that the function of the application is specified as a set of distributed echo algorithms with real-time constraints. Then our methodology schedules all tasks on available cloud infrastructure minimizing the total costs of the IaaS services, while satisfying all real-time requirements. It takes into account limited bandwidth of communication channels as well as the limited computation power of server nodes. The optimization is based on the iterative improvement algorithm, which has the capability of escaping from the local extrema, giving better results than greedy algorithms. The method starts from the fastest solution and in the next steps modifies the solution to reduce the cost of hiring the cloud infrastructure. We also present a sample application, that shows the benefits of using our methodology.(original abstract)
- Amies A., Sluiman H., Tong Q. and Liu G., "Infrastructure as a Service Cloud Concepts. Developing and Hosting Applications on the Cloud" IBM Press, 2012.
- Aymerich F. M., Fenu G., Surcis S., "A real time financial system based on grid and cloud computing" ACM symposium on Applied Computing, March 2009, New York, pp 1219-1220, http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1529282.1529555.
- Bąk S., Czarnecki R., Deniziak S. "Synthesis of Real-Time Applications for Internet of Things" Lecture Notes in Computer Science vol. 7719, 2013 pp. 37-51, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-37015-1_4.
- Bąk S., Czarnecki R., Deniziak S. "Synthesis of real-time cloud applications for Internet of things" Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, to be published, http://dx.doi.org/10.3906/elk-1302-178.
- Buttazzo G. C., "Hard real-time computing systems: predictable scheduling algorithms and applications". Vol. 24. Springer, 2011, pp. 1 - 22, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-0676-1.
- Buyya R., Broberg J., Goscinski A., "Cloud Computing: Principles and Paradigms" New York, USA: Wiley Press., 2011. pp. 1-44, http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/9780470940105.
- Chang E. J. H., "Echo Algorithms: Depth Parallel Operations on General Graphs" IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, July 1982, pp. 391 - 401, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TSE.1982.235573.
- Deelman E., Singh G., Livny M., Berriman B., Good J., "The cost of doing science on the cloud: the montage example" ACM/IEEE Conference on High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis, November 2008, Austin, pp 1-12, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/SC.2008.5217932.
- Huang R., Casanova H., Chien A. A., "Automatic resource specification generation for resource selection" ACM/IEEE Conference on Supercomputing, November 2007, Reno, pp 1-11, http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1362622.1362638.
- IBMSmartCloud http://www.ibm.com/cloud-computing/us/en/whatis-cloud-computing.html. Last access, April 2014
- Kim K. H., Beloglazov A., Buyya R., "Power-aware provisioning of cloud resources for realtime services" International Workshop on Middleware for Grids, Clouds and e-Science, November 2009, New York, pp.1-6, http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1657120.1657121.
- Kumar K., Feng J., Nimmagadda Y., Lu Y., "Resource Allocation for Real-Time Tasks using Cloud Computing" International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN), July 2011 Maui, pp. 1-7, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICCCN.2011.6006077.
- Kyriazis D. et al, "A Real-time Service Oriented Infrastructure" Annual International Conference on Real-Time and Embedded Systems (RTES 2010). November 2010, Singapore. pp. 39-44, http://dx.doi.org/10.5176/978-981-08-7654-8_R-47.
- Liu S., Quan G., Ren S., "On-Line Scheduling of Real-Time Services for Cloud Computing" World Congress on Services, July 2010, Miami, pp 459-464, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/SERVICES.2010.109.
- Mengkun L., Ming C., Jun X., "Cloud Computing: A Synthesis Models for Resource Service Management" 2010 Second International Conference on Communication Systems, Networks and Applications (ICCSNA 2010), vol.2, June 2010, Hong Kong, pp. 208-211, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICCSNA.2010.5588886.
- Tel G., "Introduction to Distributed Algorithms" Cambridge University Press, 2nd edition, 2001.
- Tsai W., Shao Q., Sun X., Elston J., "Real-Time Service-Oriented Cloud Computing" World Congress on Services, July 2010, Miami, pp 473-478, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/SERVICES.2010.127.
- Ybin W., Ling T., "Research on Cloud Design Resources Scheduling Based on Genetic Algorithm" International Conference on Systems and Informatics (ICSAI 2012), May 2012, Yantai, pp. 2651-2656, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICSAI.2012.6223598.
- Yoo C. S., "Cloud Computing: Architectural and Policy Implications". Review of Industrial Organization, June 2011, 38.4: 405-421, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11151-011-9295-7.
- Zhi Y., Changqin Y., Yan L., "A Cost-based Resource Scheduling Paradigm in Cloud Computing" 12th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing, Applications and Technologies, October 2011, Washington, pp. 417-422, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/PDCAT.2011.1.