Implementation of a Network Based Cloud Load Balancer
Cloud service providers offer their customers to rent or release hardware resources (CPU, RAM, HDD), which are isolated in virtual machine instances, on demand. Increased load on customer applications or web services require more resources than a physical server can supply, which enforces the cloud provider to implement some load balancing technique in order to scatter the load among several virtual or physical servers. Many load balancers exist, both centralized and distributed, with different techniques. In this paper we present a new solution for a low level load balancer (L3B), working on a network level of OSI model. When a network packet arrives, its header is altered in order to forward to some end-point server. After the server replies, the packet's header is also changed using the previously stored mapping and forwarded to the client. Unfortunately, the results of the experiments showed that this implementation did not provide the expected results, i.e, to achieve linear speedup when more server nodes are added.(original abstract)
- "Wireshark," 2014. [Online]. Available: http://www.wireshark.org/
- Ardagna D., Casolari S., and Panicucci B., "Flexible distributed capacity allocation and load redirect algorithms for cloud systems," in Cloud Computing (CLOUD), 2011 IEEE International Conference on, July 2011. doi: 10.1109/CLOUD.2011.32. ISSN 2159-6182 pp. 163-170. [Online]. Available: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6008706&isnumber=6008659
- Bhadani A. and Chaudhary S., "Performance evaluation of web servers using central load balancing policy over virtual machines on cloud," in Proceedings of the Third Annual ACM Bangalore Conference, ser. COMPUTE '10. ACM, 2010. doi: 10.1145/1754288.1754304. ISBN 978-1-4503-0001-8 pp. 16:1-16:4. [Online]. Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1754288.1754304
- Heinzl S. and Metz C., "Toward a cloud-ready dynamic load balancer based on the apache web server," in Enabling Technologies: Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises (WETICE), 2013 IEEE 22nd International Workshop on, June 2013. doi: 10.1109/WETICE.2013.63. ISSN 1524-4547 pp. 342-345. [Online]. Available: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6570639&isnumber=6570561
- Kansal N. J. and Chana I., "Cloud load balancing techniques: A step towards green computing," IJCSI International Journal of Computer Science Issues, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 238-246, 2012.
- Murua A., Gonzalez I., and Gomez-Martinez E., "Cloud-based assistive technology services," in Computer Science and Information Systems (FedCSIS), 2011 Federated Conference on, Sept 2011, pp. 985-989.
- Nuaimi K., Mohamed N., Nuaimi M., and Al-Jaroodi J., "A survey of load balancing in cloud computing: Challenges and algorithms," in Network Cloud Computing and Applications (NCCA), 2012 Second Symposium on, Dec 2012. doi: 10.1109/NCCA.2012.29 pp. 137-142. [Online]. Available: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6472470&isnumber=6472451
- Patterson D. A. and Hennessy J. L., Computer Organization and Design, Fourth Edition: The Hardware/Software Interface. Morgan Kaufmann, 2009. ISBN 978-0-12-374493-7
- Radojevic B. and Zagar M., "Analysis of issues with load balancing algorithms in hosted (cloud) environments," in MIPRO, 2011 Proceedings of the 34th International Convention, May 2011, pp. 416-420. [Online]. Available: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=5967092&isnumber=5967009
- Rimal B., Choi E., and Lumb I., "A taxonomy and survey of cloud computing systems," in INC, IMS and IDC, 2009. NCM '09. Fifth International Joint Conference on, Aug 2009. doi: 10.1109/NCM.2009.218 pp. 44-51. [Online]. Available: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=5331755&isnumber=5331299
- Ristov S., Gusev M., Armenski G., Bozinoski K., and Velkoski G., "Architecture and organization of e-assessment cloud solution," in Global Engineering Education Conference (EDUCON), 2013 IEEE, March 2013. doi: 10.1109/EduCon.2013.6530189. ISSN 2165-9559 pp. 736-743, best paper award. [Online]. Available: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6530189&isnumber=6530074
- Schubert L., Assel M., and Wesner S., "Resource fabrics: The next level of grids and clouds," in Computer Science and Information Technology (IMCSIT), Proceedings of the 2010 International Multiconference on, Oct 2010. ISSN 2157-5525 pp. 677-684.
- Simjanoska M., Ristov S., Velkoski G., and Gusev M., "L3b: Low level load balancer in the cloud," in EUROCON, 2013 IEEE, Zagreb, Croatia, 2013. doi: 10.1109/EUROCON.2013.6624994 pp. 250-257. [Online]. Available: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=6624994
- Technologies S., "jnetpcap," 2014. [Online]. Available: http://jnetpcap.com/
- Wu H.-S., Wang C.-J., and Xie J.-Y., "Terascaler elb-an algorithm of prediction-based elastic load balancing resource management in cloud computing," in Advanced Information Networking and Applications Workshops (WAINA), 2013 27th International Conference on, March 2013. doi: 10.1109/WAINA.2013.79 pp. 649-654. [Online]. Available: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6550470&isnumber=6550285