Handwritten Signature Verification with 2D Color Barcodes
Handwritten Signature Verification (HSV) systems have been introduced to automatically verify the authenticity of a user signature. In offline systems, the handwritten signature (represented as an image) is taken from a scanned document, while in online systems, pen tablets are used to register signature dynamics (e.g, its position, pressure and velocity). In online HSV systems, signatures (including the signature dynamics) may be embedded into digital documents. Unfortunately, during their lifetime documents may be repeatedly printed and scanned (or faxed), and digital to paper conversions may result in loosing the signature dynamics. The main contribution of this work is a new HSV system for document signing and authentication. First, we illustrate how to verify handwritten signatures so that signature dynamics can be processed during verification of every type of document (both paper and digital documents). Secondly, we show how to embed features extracted from handwritten signatures within the documents themselves (by means of 2D barcodes), so that no remote signature database is needed. Thirdly, we propose a method for the verification of signature dynamics which is compatible to a wide range of mobile devices (in terms of computational overhead and verification accuracy) so that no special hardware is needed. We address the trade-off between discrimination capabilities of the system and the storage size of the signature model. Towards this end, we report the results of an experimental evaluation of our system on different handwritten signature datasets.(original abstract)
- "First Task Results," http://www.cse.ust.hk/svc2004/results-EER1.html, 2013, [Online; accessed 01-April-2014].
- "Reliability and data density in high capacity color barcodes," Computer Science and Information Systems (ComSIS), 2014.
- "Second Task Results," http://www.cse.ust.hk/svc2004/results-EER1.html, 2013, [Online; accessed 01-April-2014].
- Andxor Corporation, "View2sign," http://www.view2sign.com/supported-signatures.html, 2013, [Online; accessed 01-April-2014].
- Faundez-Zanuy M., "On-line signature recognition based on VQDTW," Pattern Recognition, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 981-992, 2007. doi: 10.1016/j.patcog.2006.06.007. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.patcog.2006.06.007
- Firmani D., Italiano G. F., and Querini M., "Engineering color barcode algorithms for mobile applications," in 13th International Symposium on Experimental Algorithms (SEA), 2014.
- Grillo A., Lentini A., Querini M., and Italiano G., "High capacity colored two dimensional codes," in Proceedings of the 2010 International Multiconference on Computer Science and Information Technology (IMCSIT). IEEE, 2010, pp. 709-716.
- Jain A. K., Griess F. D., and Connell S. D., "On-line signature verification," Pattern recognition, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 2963-2972, 2002.
- Kalera M. K., Srihari S., and Xu A., "Offline signature verification and identification using distance statistics," International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, vol. 18, no. 07, pp. 1339-1360, 2004. doi: 10.1142/S0218001404003630. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S0218001404003630
- Kumar P., Singh S., Garg A., and N. Prabhat, "Hand written signature recognition & verification using neural network," International Journal, vol. 3, no. 3, 2013.
- Mailah M. and Lim B. H., "Biometric signature verification using pen position, time, velocity and pressure parameters," Jurnal Teknologi, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 35-54, 2012. doi: 10.11113/jt.v48.218. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.11113/jt.v48.218
- Miguel-Hurtado O., Mengibar-Pozo L., Lorenz M. G., and Liu-Jimenez J., "On-line signature verification by dynamic time warping and Gaussian mixture models," in International Carnahan Conference on Security Technology. IEEE, 2007. doi: 10.1109/CCST.2007.4373463 pp. 23-29. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/CCST.2007.4373463
- Pansare A. and Bhatia S., "Handwritten signature verification using neural network," International Journal of Applied Information Systems, vol. 1, pp. 44-49, 2012. doi: 10.5120/ijais12-450114. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.5120/ijais12-450114
- Piyush Shanker A. and Rajagopalan A., "Off-line signature verification using DTW," Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 1407-1414, 2007.
- Qiao Y., Liu J., and Tang X., "Offline signature verification using online handwriting registration," in IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2007. CVPR'07. IEEE, 2007. doi: 10.1109/CVPR.2007.383263 pp. 1-8. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2007.383263
- Querini M. and Italiano G. F., "Color classifiers for 2D color barcodes," in Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems (FedCSIS). IEEE, 2013, pp. 611-618, full version submitted to the special issue of the conference in the Computer Science and Information Systems (ComSIS) journal.
- Querini M., Grillo A., Lentini A., and Italiano G., "2D color barcodes for mobile phones," International Journal of Computer Science and Applications (IJCSA), vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 136-155, 2011.
- SutiDSignature, "SutiDSignature," http://www.sutisoft.com/sutidsignature, 2013, [Online; accessed 01-April-2014].
- SVC, "Signature Verification Competition," http://www.cse.ust.hk/svc2004/, 2013, [Online; accessed 01-April-2014].
- The Guardian, "NSA Prism program taps in to user data of Apple, Google and others," http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data, 2013, [Online; accessed 01-April-2014].
- Trevathan J. and McCabe A., "Remote handwritten signature authentication," in ICETE. Citeseer, 2005, pp. 335-339.
- Xyzmo, "Xyzmo signature solution," http://www.xyzmo.com/en/products/Pages/Signature-Verification.aspx, 2013, [Online; accessed 01-April-2014].