Interaction of Strategic Decizions Made by Firms under Uncertainty
In the paper we consider an approach to the analysis of interactions between het-erogeneous strategic decisions which is based on contribution these decisions make to the change of firm's survival level. To prove this hypothesis, we use two conceptions developed in recent literature - of "competing risks" as a way of explaining how risks of heterogeneous firm's decisions are composed, and of "survival level" defined as a low boundary in adopting strategies that allow the firm to avoid losses. The expected results drawn from this analysis are compared with evidence presented in existing literature. (original abstract)
- Addison, J., Portugal, P. (2001), Unemployment Duration: Competing and Defective Risks, IZA Discussion Paper No.350.
- Brander, J., Lewis, T. (1986), Oligopoly and Finance Structure, American Economic Review, vol. 76 (5).
- Chang, F. R. (2002), A Theory of Health Investment Under Competing Mortality Risks, CESifo Working Paper No.669 (10).
- Chevalier, J. (1995), Do LBO Supermarkets Charge More? An Empirical Analysis of the Effects ofLBOs on Supermarket Pricing, Journal of Finance, Vol. 50 (4).
- Dolton, P., O'Neill, D. (1996), Unemployment Duration and the Restart Effect: Some Experimental Evidence, The Economic Journal, Vol. 106, No. 435.
- Flehinger, B., Reiser, B., Yashchin E. (1998), Survival with Competing Risks and Masked Causes of Failures, Biometrica, Vol. 85, No.l.
- Fournier, G., Zuehlke, Th. W. (1996), The Timing of Out-of Court Settlement, The RAND Journal of Economics, Vol. 27, No.2.
- Houston A. I., McNamara J. M. (1999), Models of Adaptive Behaviour. An Approach Based on State, Cambridge University Press, 1999.
- Katila, R. (2005), Dynamics of Industry and Innovation: Organizations, Networks and Systems, DRUID Tenth Anniversary Summer Conference 2005.
- Kovenock, D., Phillips, G. (1995), Capital Structure andProduct-Market Rivalry: How Do We Reconcile Theory and Evidence?, American Economic Review, Vol. 85 (2).
- Kovenock, D., Phillips, G. (1997), Capital Structure and Product-Market Behaviour: an Examination of Plant Exit and Investment Decisions, Review of finance studies, Vol. 10 (3).
- McFarland, D. J. (1971), Feedback Mechanisms in Animal Behaviour, London, Academic Press.
- Mealli, F., Pudney, S., Thomas, J. (1996), Training Duration and Post-Training Outcomes: A Duration-Limited Competing Risks Model, The Economic Journal, Vol. 106, No. 435.
- Opler, T., Titman, S. (1994), Financial Distress and Corporate Performance, Journal of Finance, vol. XLIX, No.3.
- Phillips, G. (1995), Increased Debt and Industry Product Markets. An Empirical Analysis, Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 37 (2).