Entrepreneurship : how to design growth and exit strategy
This paper is based on a case study of an entrepreneurial start-up firm designing its growth and exit strategy. The paper discusses the wealth creation challenge a company faces once it has successfully opened shop. Specifically, the paper describes an entrepreneur's analysis of advantages and disadvantages of different growth models: organic, franchise, acquisition; it also discusses how to prioritize growth opportunities. Additionally, the paper analyses the application of financial modelling and valuation methods to entrepreneurial businesses. Finally, the authors explore issues and options the entrepreneur could consider when designing an exit strategy. (original abstract)
- Armstrong D., Newcomb P. (2004), The 400 Richest Americans, Forbes Sept 24.
- BizStats.com (2003), Number of Businesses by Revenue, www.bizstats.com/bizsizes98.htm.
- Cesar P., Deenitchin I., Pikul P. (2005), Colfax Growth and Exit Strategy, presentation prepared as part of independent study under the supervision of Steven Rogers, Evanston, IL, Kellogg Graduate School of Management.
- Dame K. (1998), Sports in Your Pocket, case study prepared under the supervision of Steven Rogers, Evanston, IL, Kellogg Graduate School of Management.
- Donahue T. (2003), Three Sector Summit, speech by president & CEO of US Chamber of Commerce, www.uschamber.com/press/speeches/2003.
- Gupta U. (1996), Price Tag of Small Concerns Gets Bigger, Wall Street Journal, Feb 19.
- Li F. (2004), Acquisitions of Private Companies: Short-Run vs. Long-Run Performance, doctoral dissertation paper at http://personal.anderson.ucla.edu/feifei.li/diss_FeifeiLi.pdf.
- MacDonald L. (2001), Valuation of Private vs. Public Firms, in: BizStartups at www.entrepreneur.com/Your_business/YB_SegArticle/0,4621,290784,00.html, July 3.
- McKinsey & Company, Copeland T., Koller T. and Murrin J. (2000), Valuation - Measuring and managing the Value of Companies - 3rd edition, New York, John Wiley & Sons.
- Roberts M. (1983), Heather Evans, case study prepared under the supervision of Howard H. Stevenson, Boston, MA, Harvard Business School Publishing.
- Rogers S. (2003), The Entrepreneur's Guide to Finance and Business: Wealth Creation Techniques for Growing a Business, New York, McGraw-Hill.
- Rogers S. (2005), FINC-446 Entrepreneurial Finance: Lecture Notes, Kellogg Graduate School of Management.
- Sahadi J. (2004), Record High Number of Millionaires, in CNN/Money at http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/16/pf/millionaire_households.
- Sahlman W. (1983), The Carlton Polish Company, case study, Boston, MA, Harvard Business School Publishing.