The Morphotectonic Evolution of the Southern Half of Kythira Island (Ionian Sea, Greece) During the Quaternary
Kythira island is located between Peloponnese and Crete along the Hellenic island arc. The morphotectonic study of this island could provide useful clues about the evolution of this area. The study focused on the southern part of the island where most of the characteristic landforms of uplift ate found (terraces, gorges and notches). Large scale geomorphological mapping was performed in order to determine the most significant landforms of the area such as planation surfaces, marine terraces, gorges, knick points, cliffs and notches. It is concluded that the general morphology and evolution of the southern part of the island is depended primarily on the tectonic regime of the area which is exemplified by characteristic landforms in a series of well distinguished eight uplifted marine terraces on the eastern and six in the western part, marine notches and inclined planation surfaces, gorges and knick points indicating a continuous uplift of the island during the Quaternary. Finally, an average uplift rate of about 0.13 mm/yr for the Quaternary period is determined for the study area. (original abstract)
- Danamos G., 1992, Contribution to the Geology and Hydrogeology of the Island of Kythira, PhD thesis, Univesity of Athens, Athens, 335 pp.
- Institute of Geology and Mining Research (IGME), 1966, Geological map of Kythira island 1:50.000.
- Lyberis N., Angelier J., and Lallemant S., 1982, Active deformation of a segment of arc: The strait of Kythira, Hellenic arc, Greece, Journal of Sttuctural Geology, 4(3), 299-311.
- Manolessos N., 1955, Contribution on the geology of Kythira, Annales Geologiques Pays Helleni-ques, 6, 51-80.
- Meulenkamp J.E., Theodoropoulos P., and Tsapralis V., 1977, Remarks on the Neogene of Kythira, Greece, Vlth Coll. Geology Aegean Region, Athens 1977, Proceedings, 355-362.
- Papanikolaou D., and Danamos G., 1991, The role of the geotectonic location of Kythira and Cyclades in the geodynamic evolution of the Hellenic Arc, Bulletin of the Geological Society of Greece, 25(1), 65-79.
- Theodoropoulos D., 1973, The physical geography of the island of Kythira, Monograph, Athens.
- Theodoropoulos D., 1974. Geological and Morphological observations in the area of Neapolis Vion, Annales Geologiques Pays Helleniques, 25, 445-466.
- Verykiou-Papaspyridakou E., 1986, Geomorphological study of the area Maleas cape, Elafonisos, Kythita, Antikythira and Gramvoussa. PhD thesis, Univesity of Athens, Athens, 127 pp.