Aerodynamic characteristics of two-dimensional sharp-edged objects in tandem arrangement
Wybrane pełne teksty z tego czasopisma
Polish Conference of Fluid Mechanics (18 ; 21-25.09.2008 ; Jastrzębia Góra, Poland)
The present analysis addresses the problem of the aerodynamic loads of two prismatic bodies in tandem arrangement. Two identical square cross-section prismatic bodies arranged in tandem are considered and represent a two-dimensional configuration. The program of the study consists of parallel wind-tunnel experiments and numerical simulation performed with the use of a phase-averaged form of k-epsilon turbulence model in RNG version. The simulations revealed a strong dependence between the interference of the wake flow around the system of sharp-edged bluff-bodies, the vorticity structure of the separation region, mean position of the reattachment point, phase-averaged velocity field and skin friction variability. The general aim was to establish a direct link between the flow around bluff bodies, local time-resolved quantities like skin friction and surface pressure, and near-wake behaviour behind the square cylinders in tandem array. In particular, it was found that periodical flow disturbances bring about a rapid growth of surface pressure and wall shear stress fluctuations.
Bibliogr. 19 poz.
- 1. M.M. ALAM, M. MORIYA, K, TAKAI, H. SAKAMOTO. Fluctuating fluid forces acting on two circular cylinders in a tandem arrangement at a subcritical Reynolds 'number, Journal of Wind Engineering Industrial Aerodynamics, 91, 139-154. 2003.
- 2. M.M. ALAM, Y. ZHOU, Phase lag between vortex sheddings from two tandem bluff bodies. Journal of Fluids and Structure, 23, 2, 339-347, 2007a.
- 3. H. HANG AN, B.J. ViCKERY, Buffeting of two-dimensional bluff bodies. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 82. 173-187, 1999.
- 4. 11. HAVEL, H. HANGAN, R. MARTINUZZI, Buffeting for 2d and 3d sharp-edged bluff bodies, Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 89, 1369-1381, 2001.
- 5. A. JARŻA, R. GNATOWSKA, Interference of unsteady phenomena m flow around bluff-bodies arrangement, Chemical and Process Engineering, 27, 3/1. 721-735, 2006.
- 6. A. JARŻA, R. GNATOWSKA, Lock-on effect on unsteady loading of rigid, bluff-body in tandem arrangement, Proceedings of International Conference Urban Wind Engineering and Buildings Aerodynamics COST C14, Rhode-St-Cenese Belgium C.2.1-10, 2004.
- 7. W. JESTER, Y. KALLINDERIS, Numerical study of incompressible flow about fixed cylinder pairs, Journal Fluids and Structures, 17, 557-567, 2003.
- 8. T. KlTAGAWA, H. OHTA, Numerical investigation on flow around circular cylinders in tandem arrangc'nie'nt at a subcritical Reynolds number, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 24, 680-699, 2008.
- 9. V. KOLAR, D.A. LYN, W. Roi)l, Ensemble-average measurements in the turbident near-wake of the two side-by-side square cylinders. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 346. 201-237, 1997.
- 10. J.C. LlN, Y. YANG, D. ROCKWELL, Flow past two cylinders m tandem: instantaneous and averaged Jlo'iu structure. Journal of Fluids and Structures. 16. 1059-1071. 2002.
- 11. CH.-H. Liu, M.CH. JERRY. Observations of hysteresis in flow around two square cylinders in a tandem arrangement, Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 90, 1019-1050, 2002.
- 12. S.C. Luo, T.C. TENG, Aerodynamic forces on a square, section cylinder that is downstream to an identical cylinder, J. Aeronaut., 94, 203-212, 1990.
- 13. R. MARTIN UZZI, B. HAVEL, Turbulent flow around two interfering surface-mounted cubic obstacles in tandem arrangement, Trans. ASME J. Fluids Eng., 122, 24-31, 2000.
- 14. E. MORYN-KUCHARCZYK, R. GNATOWSKA, Pollutant dispersion in flow around bluff-bodies arrangement, Wind Energy Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 49-53, 2007.
- 15. H. SAKAMOTO, II. HANIU, Effect of free-stream turbulence on characteristics of fluctuating forces acting on two square prisms in tandem arrangement, J. Fluids Eng., 110, 140-146, 1988.
- 16. D. SUMNER, S..J. PRICE, M.P. PAIDOUSSIS, Tandem cylinders in impulsively started flow, .Journal of Fluids and Structures, 13, 955-965, 1999.
- 17. D. SUMNER, M. D. RICHARDS, O. O. AKOSILE , Two staggered circular cylinders of equal diameter in cross-flow, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 20, 255-276, 2005.
- 18. S.C. YEN, K.C. SAN, T.H. CHUANG, Interactions of tandem square cylinders at low Reynolds numbers, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 32, 927-938, 2008.
- 19. M. ZDRAVKOVICH, Review of flow interference between two circular cylinders in various arrangements, ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, 99, 618-633, 1977.