Thermal stability and GFA parameters of Fe-Co-based bulk metallic glasses
Wybrane pełne teksty z tego czasopisma
Purpose: The paper present fabrication process, structure characterization and selected thermal properties of Fe-Co-based bulk metallic glasses in form of rods. Additionally selected GFA parameters were determined. Design/methodology/approach: The studies were realized on Fe36Co36B19.2Si4.8Nb4 metallic glasses in form of rods with diameter of 0=1.5, ø=2 and ø=3 mm. Samples were performed by the pressure die casting method. An amorphous structure was confirmed by the X-ray diffraction (XRD) and scanning electron microscopy (SEM) methods. The thermal properties of the studied samples were examined by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC). GFA parameters were calculated based on thermal properties. Findings: The X-ray analysis and scanning microscopy observation revealed that the studies as-cast rods were amorphous. For each sample broad diffraction halo could be observed. That diffraction pattern confirm formation of glassy phase in studied samples. Practical implications: Fe-Co-based bulk metallic glasses could be used in many practical application. For the sake of great mechanical, thermal and magnetic properties they may be used as a structural material and in many electric and magnetic applications (for example soft electro-magnetic cores). Knowledge about thermal properties could be useful in computer simulation of metallic glasses casting process. Originality/value: The obtained examination results allow to confirm the utility of investigation methods, which has used in this work. Thermal analysis allow to determinate selected GFA parameters for selected Fe-Co-based alloy.
Bibliogr. 35 poz., rys., tab.
- Division of Nanocrystalline and Functional Materials and Sustainable Pro-ecological Technologies, Institute of Engineering Materials and Biomaterials, Silesian University of Technology, ul. Konarskiego 18a, 44-100 Gliwice, Poland, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Division of Nanocrystalline and Functional Materials and Sustainable Pro-ecological Technologies, Institute of Engineering Materials and Biomaterials, Silesian University of Technology, ul. Konarskiego 18a, 44-100 Gliwice, Poland
-  W.H. Wang, C. Dong, C.H. Shek, Bulk metallic glasses, Materials Science and Engineering R 44 (2004) 45-89.
-  J.F. Loffler, Bulk metallic glasses, Intermetallics 11 (2003) 529-540.
-  R. Nowosielski, R. Babilas, Preparation, structure and properties of Fe-based bulk metallic glasses, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 40/2 (2010) 123-130.
-  R. Babilas, R. Nowosielski, Iron-based bulk amorphous alloys, Archives of Materials Science and Engineering 44/1 (2010) 5-27.
-  S. Lesz, Preparation of Fe-Co-based bulk amorphous alloy from high purity and industrial raw materials, Archives of Materials Science and Engineering 48/2 (2011) 77-88.
-  A. Inoue, Bulk amorphous and nanocrystalline alloys with high functional properties, Materials Science and Engineering A 304-306 (2001) 1-10.
-  R. Nowosielski, R. Babilas, Structure and properties of selected Fe-based metallic glasses, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 37/2 (2009) 332-339.
-  W. Pilarczyk, R. Nowosielski, R. Babilas, A production attempt of selected metallic glasses with Fe and Ni matrix, Archives of Materials Science and Engineering 41/1 (2010) 5-12.
-  R. Nowosielski, R. Babilas, S. Griner, T. Czeppe, Structure, thermal and magnetic properties of Fe43Co14Ni14B20Si5Nb4 bulk metallic glass, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 38/2 (2010) 123-130.
-  R. Babilas, M. Kądziołka-Gaweł, R. Nowosielski, Structure studies of Fe-based metallic glasses by Mossbauer spectroscopy method, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 45/1 (2011) 7-12.
-  A. Inoue, High strength bulk amorphous alloys with low critical cooling rates, Materials Transactions JIM 36 (1995) 866-875.
-  S. Lesz, Z. Stokłosa, R. Nowosielski, Influence of copper addition on properties of (Fe36Co36B19Si5Nb4)100-xCux metallic glasses, Archives of Materials Science and Engineering 38/1 (2009) 12-18.
-  R. Nowosielski, A. Witrak, Formation and structure of Co50Cr15Mo14C15B6 bulk metallic glasses, Archives of Materials Science and Engineering 36/1 (2009) 28-33.
-  A. Inoue, Stabilization of metallic supercooled liquid and bulk amorphous alloys, Acta Materialia 48 (2000) 279-306.
-  A. Inoue, B. Shen, A. Takeuchi, Fabrication, properties and applications of bulk glassy alloys in late transition metal-based systems, Materials Science and Engineering A 441 (2006) 18-25.
-  Q. Li, Formation of ferromagnetic bulk amorphous Fe40Ni40P14B6 alloys, Materials Letters 60 (2006) 3113-3117.
-  S.F. Guo, L. Liu, N. Li, Y. Li, Fe-based bulk metallic glass matrix composite with large plasticity, Scripta Materialia 62 (2010) 329-332.
-  A. Inoue, B.L. Shen, C.T. Chang, Fe- and Co- based bulk glassy alloys with ultrahigh strength of over 4000 MPa, Intermetallics 14 (2006) 936-944.
-  L.A. Dobrzański, M. Drak, B. Ziębowicz, Materials with specific magnetic properties, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 17 (2006) 37-40.
-  J. Konieczny, L.A. Dobrzański, A. Przybył, J.J. Wysłocki, Structure and magnetic properties of powder soft magnetic materials, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 20 (2007) 139-142.
-  J. Konieczny, L.A. Dobrzański, J.E. Frąckowiak, Structure and properties of the powder obtained from the amorphous ribbon, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 18 (2006) 143-146.
-  B. Ziębowicz, D. Szewieczek, L.A. Dobrzański, New possibilities of application of composite materials with soft magnetic properties, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 20 (2007) 207-210.
-  M.F. Ashby, A.L. Greer, Metallic glasses as structural materials, Scripta Materialia 54 (2006) 321-326.
-  T. Kulik, Formation and magnetic properties of Co- Fe-based bulk metallic glasses with supercooled liquid region, Journal of Magnetism And Magnetic Materials 299 (2006) 492-495.
-  Ch. Chang, B. Shen, A. Inoue, Synthesis of bulk glassy alloys in the (Fe,Co,Ni)-B-Si-Nb system, Materials Sciences and Engineering A 449-451 (2007) 239-242.
-  D. Szewieczek, T. Raszka, Structure and magnetic properties of Fe63.5Co10Cu1Nb3Si13.5B9 alloy, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 18 (2006) 179-182.
-  R. Nowosielski, R. Babilas, S. Griner, Z. Stokłosa, Structure and soft magnetic properties of Fe72B20Si4Nb4 bulk metallic glasses, Archives of Materials Science and Engineering 35/1 (2009) 13-20.
-  W. Pilarczyk, A. Mucha, The influence of yttrium addition on the GFA of selected iron-based BMG, Archives of Materials Science and Engineering 44/2 (2010) 87-95.
-  X. Liang, T. Erenc-Sedziak, M. Kowalczyk, T. Kulik, B. Xu, Evaluation on the reliability of criterions for glass-forming ability of Fe(Co)-based bulk metallic glasses, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 204 (2008) 465-468.
-  K. Mondal, B.S. Murty, On the parameters to assess the glass forming ability of liquids, Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids 351 (2005) 1366-1371.
-  A. Cai, G. Sun, Y. Pan, Evaluation of the parameters related to glass-forming ability of bulk metallic glasses, Materials and Design 27 (2006) 479-488.
-  Y. Bing, D. Yong, L. Yong, Recent progress in criterions for glass forming ability, Transaction of Nonferrous Metals Society of China 19 (2009) 78-84.
-  S. Azad, A. Mandal, R.K. Mandal, On the parameters of glass formation in metallic systems, Materials Science and Engineering A 458 (2007) 348-354.
-  C. Suryanarayana, I. Seki, A. Inoue, A critical analysis of the glass-forming ability of alloys, Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids 355 (2009) 355-360.
-  Z.P. Lu, H. Bei, C.T. Liu, Recent progress in quantifying glass-forming ability of bulk metallic glasses, Intermetallics 15 (2007) 618-624.