Quartz OSL and K-feldspar post-IR IRSL dating of sand accumulation in the Lower Liao Plain (Liaoning, NE China)
Wybrane pełne teksty z tego czasopisma
The timing of the formation of extensively distributed sand dunes in the Bohai coastal area and its forcing factors are poorly understood. In this study, the chronology of a well-preserved sand dune located in Panjin Forest Park (PJ) in the Lower Liao Plain (LLP) is investigated using quartz optically stimulated luminescence (OSL) and K-feldspar postinfrared (IR) infrared stimulated luminescence (IRSL) (pIRIR) dating. For the pIRIR measurements, the combination of preheating at 180°C and pIRIR stimulation at 150°C (pIRIR150) is exploited. The quartz results show that the sand dune accumulated from c. 120 a (1890 AD) to c. 70 a (1940 AD) before present, and the underlying sandy soil sediments deposited from c. 5.0 ka to c. 0.13 ka as marsh sediment after the sea level highstand since the mid-Holocene. From the evidence in historical coastline records, the PJ sand dune is an inland sand dune and not a coastal sand dune. Based on further information of climate and temperature change after the Little Ice Age (LIA) and human activity in northeastern China, we conclude that the PJ sand dune accumulation was very likely impacted by the immigrants and land reclamation at the end of Qing dynasty. The fading corrected IR50 ages, the apparent and fading corrected pIRIR150 ages are consistent with quartz ages for two sandy soil samples but overestimate those for six sand samples. The overestimation of the feldspar ages is derived from the residual signal which has not been bleached before burial. The offset obtained from the difference between the quartz OSL and the feldspar pIRIR150 ages are ~20–160 a (predicted residual dose: ~0.08–0.60 Gy), whereas the measured residual dose after bleaching 4 h in a solar simulator yielded age overestimation of ~10–40 a (~0.05–0.16 Gy). The age discrepancy calculated from the predicted residual was larger than those obtained from the laboratory measured residuals. We conclude that the pIRIR150 of aeolian sediment is applicable for samples older than ~1000 years where the effect of the residual dose become negligible.
Bibliogr. 70 poz., rys.
- Geochronology and Isotope Hydrology, Leibniz Institute for Applied Geophysics (LIAG), Stilleweg 2, 30655, Hannover, Germany, Yan.Li@liag-hannover.de
- Geochronology and Isotope Hydrology, Leibniz Institute for Applied Geophysics (LIAG), Stilleweg 2, 30655, Hannover, Germany
- School of Ocean Sciences, China University of Geosciences (Beijing), Xueyuan Road 29, Haidian District, 100083, Beijing, China
- Geochronology and Isotope Hydrology, Leibniz Institute for Applied Geophysics (LIAG), Stilleweg 2, 30655, Hannover, Germany
- 1. Allen MB, Macdonald DIM, Xun Z, Vincent SJ and Brouet-Menzies C, 1997. Early Cenozoic two-phase extension and late Cenozoic thermal subsidence and inversion of the Bohai Basin, North China. Marine and Petroleum Geology 14: 951–972, DOI 10.1016/S0264-8172(97)00027-5.
- 2. Auclair M, Lamothe M and Hout S, 2003. Measurement of anomalous fading for feldspar IRSL using SAR. Radiation Measurements 37: 487–492, DOI 10.1016/S1350-4487(03)00018-0.
- 3. Balescu S and Lamothe M, 1994. Comparison of TL and IRSL age estimates of feldspar coarse grains from waterlain sediments. Quaternary Science Reviews 13: 437–444, DOI 10.1016/0277- 3791(94)90056-6.
- 4. Bing Z, Chen X, Zhao X and Zhao Y, 2013. Deposition rate and sealevel fluctuations of the major estuarine areas in the coastal zone of Liaoning during ten thousand years. Geology and resources 22: 383–387. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 5. Bureau of geology and mineral resources of Liaoning (BGMRL), 1989. Regional geology of Liaoning Province. Beijing. Geological Publishing House. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 6. Buylaert J-P, Jain M, Murray AS, Thomsen KJ, Thiel C and Sohbati R, 2012. A robust feldspar luminescence dating method for Middle and Late Pleistocene sediments. Boreas 41: 435–451, DOI 10.1111/j.1502-3885.2012.00248.x.
- 7. Chen Y, Fang G, Ni J and Hu K, 2010. Research on century's changes of coastlines of Liaohe Estuary. Journal of marine sciences 28: 14–21. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 8. Cunningham AC and Wallinga J, 2010. Selection of integration time intervals for quartz OSL decay curves. Quaternary Geochronology 5: 657–666, DOI 10.1016/j.quageo.2010.08.004.
- 9. Dietze M, Kreutzer S, Burow C, Fuchs MC, Fischer M and Schmidt C, 2016. The abanico plot: visualising chronometric data with individual standard errors. Quaternary Geochronology 31: 12–18, DOI 10.1016/j.quageo.2015.09.003.
- 10. Du J and Wang X, 2014. Optically stimulated luminescence dating of sand-dune formed within the Little Ice Age. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences 91: 154–162, DOI 10.1016/j.jseaes.2014.05.012.
- 11. Duller GAT, 2003. Distinguishing quartz and feldspar in single grain luminescence measurements. Radiation Measurements 37: 161– 165, DOI 10.1016/S1350-4487(02)00170-1.
- 12. Fang J and Hu K, 2007. Holocene environment and the highest sea-level based on diatom assemblages from the peat imbedded in the ditch in Dagu Mountain, Liaodong Peninsula. Quaternary Sciences 27: 797–805. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 13. Forman SL and Pierson J, 2003. Formation of linear and parabolic dunes on the eastern Snake River Plain, Idaho in the nineteenth century. Geomorphology 56: 189–200, DOI 10.1016/S0169- 555X(03)00078-3.
- 14. Fu W, 1988. A study of the trasgression process since the late Pleistocene on the coastal zone of Lower Liaohe River Plain and Liaodong Peninsula. Geographical Research 7: 73–80. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 15. Fu X and Li S, 2013. A modified multi-elevated-temperature post-IR IRSL protocol for dating Holocene sediments using K-feldspar. Quaternary Geochronology 17: 44–54, DOI 10.1016/j.quageo.2013.02.004.
- 16. Galbraith RF, Roberts RG, Laslett GM, Yoshida H and Olley JM, 1999. Optical dating of single and multiple grains of quartz from Jinmium rock shelter, Northern Australia: part 1, experimental details and statistical models. Archaeometry 41: 339–364, DOI 10.1111/j.1475-4754.1999.tb00987.x.
- 17. Guérin G, 2011. Dose-rate conversion factors: update. Ancient TL 29: 5–8.
- 18. Hu F, Li Z, Jin J, Zhao Q, Zhang H, Wang X, Xia J and Chen X, 2013. Coastal environment evolution record from Anshan coastal aeolian sand of Jinjiang, Fujian Province, based on the OSL dating. Acta Geographica Sinica 68: 343–356 (in Chinese with English abstract).
- 19. Huntley K and Baril MR, 1997. The K content of the K-feldspars being measured in optical or in TL dating. Ancient TL 15: 11–13. 20.
- 20. Huntley DJ and Hancock RGV, 2001. The Rb contents of the Kfeldspar grains being measured in optical dating. Ancient TL 19: 43–46.
- 21. Huntley DJ and Lamothe M, 2001. Ubiquity of anomalous fading in Kfeldspars and the measurement and correction for it in optical dating. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 38: 1093–1106, DOI 10.1139/e01-013.
- 22. OCAS, 1985. Bohai Sea Geology. Science Press, Beijing. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 23. Kars RH, Wallinga J and Cohen KM, 2008. A new approach towards anomalous fading correction for feldspar IRSL dating-tests on samples in field saturation. Radiation Measurements 43: 786–790, DOI 10.1016/j.radmeas.2008.01.021.
- 24. Kunz A, Frechen M, Ramesh R and Urban B, 2010. Luminescence dating of late Holocene dunes showing remnants of early settlement in Cuddalore and evidence of monsoon activity in south east India. Quaternary International 222: 194–208, DOI 10.1016/j.quaint.2009.10.042.
- 25. Li B, Jacobs Z, Roberts RG and Li S, 2014a. Review and assessment of the potential of post-IR IRSL dating methods to circumvent the problem of anomalous fading in feldspar luminescence. Geochronometria 41: 178–201, DOI 10.2478/s13386-013-0160-3.
- 26. Li P, Xu Y and Li P, 2014b. Evolution of paleoenvironment since late Pleistocene 24 ka of LH01 core in the northern Liaodong Bay. Advances in Marine Science 32. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 27. Li H, Gu D and Stott LD, 1998. Application of interannual-resolution stable isotope records of speleothem: climatic changes in Beijing and Tianjin, China during the past 500 years – the δ18O record. Science in China (Series D) 41: 362–368, DOI 10.1007/BF02932686.
- 28. Lin T, 1980. Wetlands in the Liao River Plain. Journal of Xiamen University 4: 141–147. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 29. Lin T, 1991. Coastline change in the Liaodong Bay. Collections of Essays on Chinese Historical Geography 2: 1–13. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 30. Liu J, Saito Y, Wang H, Zhou L and Yang Z, 2009. Stratigraphic development during the Late Pleistocene and Holocene offshore of the Yellow River delta, Bohai Sea. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences 36: 318–331, DOI 10.1016/j.jseaes.2009.06.007.
- 31. Long H, Haberzettl T, Tsukamoto S, Shen J, Kasper T, Daut G, Zhu L, Mäusbacher R and Frechen M, 2015. Luminescence dating of lacustrine sediments from Tangra Yumco (southern Tibetan Plateau) using post-IR IRSL signals from polymineral grains. Boreas 44: 139–152, DOI 10.1111/bor.12096.
- 32. Long H, Shen J, Tsukamoto S, Chen J, Yang L and Frechen M, 2014. Dry early Holocene revealed by sand dune accumulation chronology in Bayanbulak Basin (Xinjiang, NW China). The Holocene 24: 614–626, DOI 10.1177/0959683614523804.
- 33. Lu J, 1997. Soil geology. Geological publishing house, Beijing. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 34. Ma H, 2014. Holocene environmental changes of Liao River delta. Jilin University, Jilin, China, p.33. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 35. Madsen A, Buylaert J-P and Murray A, 2011. Luminescence dating of young coastal deposits from New Zealand using feldspar. Geochronometria 38: 379–390, DOI 10.2478/s13386-011-0042-5.
- 36. Madsen AT and Murray AS, 2009. Optically stimulated luminescence dating of young sediments: A review. Geomorphology 109: 3–16, DOI 10.1016/j.geomorph.2008.08.020.
- 37. Madsen AT, Murray AS, Andersen TJ, Pejrup M and Breuning-Madsen H, 2005. Optically stimulated luminescence dating of young estuarine sediments: a comparison with Pb-210 and Cs-137 dating. Marine Geology 214: 251–268, DOI 10.1016/j.margeo.2004.10.034.
- 38. Mejdahl V, 1979. Thermoluminescence Dating: Beta-Dose Attenuation in Quartz Grains. Archaeometry 21: 61–72, DOI 10.1111/j.1475- 4754.1979.tb00241.x.
- 39. Murray AS and Wintle AG, 2003. The single aliquot regenerative dose protocol: potential for improvements in reliability. Radiation Measurements 37: 377–381, DOI 10.1016/S1350-4487(03)00053- 2.
- 40. Murray AS and Wintle AG, 2000. Luminescence dating of quartz using an improved single-aliquot regenerative-dose protocol. Radiation Measurements 32: 57–73, DOI 10.1016/S1350-4487(99)00253-X.
- 41. Prescott JR and Hutton JT, 1994. Cosmic ray contributions to dose rates for Luminescence & ESR dating: large depths and long-term time variations. Radiation Measurements 23: 497–500, DOI 10.1016/1350-4487(94)90086-8.
- 42. Reimann T and Tsukamoto S, 2012. Dating the recent past (500 years) by post –IR IRSL feldspar –Examples from the North Sea and Baltic Sea coast. Quaternary Geochronology 10: 180-187, DOI 10.10/1016/j.quageo.2012.04.011.
- 43. Reimann T, Tsukamoto S, Naumann M and Frechen M, 2011. The potential of using K-rich feldspars for optical dating of young coastal sediments – A test case from Darss-Zingst peninsula (southern Baltic Sea coast). Quaternary Geochronology 6: 207– 222, DOI 10.1016/j.quageo.2010.10.001.
- 44. Reimann T, Tsukamoto S, Harff J, Osadczuk K and Frechen M, 2011. Reconstruction of Holocene coastal foredune progradation using luminescence dating - An example from the Świna barrier (southern Baltic Sea, NW Poland). Geomorphology 132: 1–16, DOI 10.1016/j.geomorph.2011.04.017.
- 45. Rodnight H, 2008. How many equivalent dose values are needed to obtain a reproducible distribution? Ancient TL 26: 1–9.
- 46. Sun F and Zhao C, 2002. Characteristics of temperature variations for recent a hundred years in Liaoning Province. Liaoning Meteorological Quarterly 3: 14–22. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 47. Sun J, 2000. Origin of Eolian Sand Mobilization during the Past 2300 Years in the Mu Us Desert, China. Quaternary Research 53: 78– 88, DOI 10.1006/qres.1999.2105.
- 48. Tamura T, Kodama Y, Bateman MD, Saito Y, Yamaguchi N and Matsumoto D, 2016. Late Holocene aeolian sedimentation in the Tottori coastal dune field, Japan Sea, affected by the East Asian winter monsoon. Quaternary International 397: 147–158, DOI 10.1016/j.quaint.2015.09.062.
- 49. Tamura T, Bateman MD, Kodama Y, Saitoh Y, Watanabe K, Yamaguchi N and Matsumoto D, 2011. Building of shore-oblique transverse dune ridges revealed by ground-penetrating radar and optical dating over the last 500 years on Tottori coast, Japan Sea. Geomorphology 132: 153–166, DOI 10.1016/j.geomorph.2011.05.005.
- 50. Thiel C, Buylaert J-P, Murray AS, Terhorst B, Hofer I, Tsukamoto S and Frechen M, 2011. Luminescence dating of the Stratzing loess profile (Austria)–Testing the potential of an elevated temperature post-IR IRSL protocol. Quaternary International 234: 23–31, DOI 10.1016/j.quaint.2010.05.018.
- 51. Thomsen KJ, Murray AS, Jain M and Bøtter-Jensen L, 2008. Laboratory fading rates of various luminescence signals from feldspar-rich sediment extracts. Radiation Measurements 43: 1474–1486, DOI 10.1016/j.radmeas.2008.06.002.
- 52. Wang H and Fan C, 2005. The 14C database (II) on the circum-Bohai sea-coast. Quaternary Sciences 25: 141–156. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 53. Wang H, Li F, Fan C, Frechen M, M vS, Fei D and Wang Y, 2004. The 14C database (I) on the circum-Bohai sea-coast. Quaternary Sciences 24: 601–613. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 54. Wang S and Wang R, 1990. Variations of seasonal and annual temperatures during 1470–1979 AD in eastern China. Acta Meteorologica Sinica 48, 26–35. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 55. Wang S, Ye J, Gong D, Zhu J and Yao T, 1998. Construction of mean annual temperature series for the last one hundred years in China. Quarterly Journal of Applied Meteorology 9: 392–401. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 56. Wintle AG and Murray AS, 2006. A review of quartz optically stimulated luminescence characteristics and their relevance in singlealiquot regeneration dating protocols. Radiation Measurements 41: 369–391, DOI 10.1016/j.radmeas.2005.11.001.
- 57. Xiao Z, 2010. Change of geographical range of Liao Ze in history. China's Boarder Land History and Geography Studies 20: 106– 114. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 58. Xu J, 1994. Changes of sea level and chenier along Huanghua beach of the Bohai bay. Acta Oceanologica Sinica 68–77. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 59. Xue C, 2009. Historical Changes of Coastlines on West and South Coasts of Bohai Sea since 7 000 a B. P. Scientia Geographica Sinica 29: 217–222. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 60. Xue C and Ding D, 2008. Weihe River-Mihe River delta in South Coast of Bohai Sea, China: Sedimentary Sequence and Architecture. Scientia Geographica Sinica 28: 672–676. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 61. Yang L, Long H, Yi L, Li P, Wang Y, Gao L and Shen J, 2015. Luminescence dating of marine sediments from the Sea of Japan using quartz OSL and polymineral pIRIR signals of fine grains. Quaternary Geochronology 30: 257–263, DOI 10.1016/j.quageo.2015.05.003.
- 62. Yang L, Wang T, Zhou J, Lai Z and Long H, 2012. OSL chronology and possible forcing mechanisms of dune evolution in the Horqin dunefield in northern China since the Last Glacial Maximum. Quaternary Research 78: 185–196, DOI 10.1016/j.yqres.2012.05.002.
- 63. Yao Z, Guo Z, Chen Y, Xiao G, Shao YX, Wang XL, Hao Q and Lu YC, 2006. Magnetostratigraphy of marine-terrigenous facies deposits in Bohai Bay. Marine Geology and Quaternary Geology 26: 9–15. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 64. Yi L, Deng C, Xu X, Yu H, Qiang X, Jiang X, Chen Y, Su Q, Chen G, Li P, Ge J and Li Y, 2015. Paleo-megalake termination in the Quaternary: Paleomagnetic and water-level evidence from south Bohai Sea, China. Sedimentary Geology 319: 1–12, DOI 10.1016/j.sedgeo.2015.01.005.
- 65. Yi L, Yu H, Ortiz JD, Xu X, Chen S, Ge J, Hao Q, Yao J, Shi X and Peng S, 2012. Late Quaternary linkage of sedimentary records to three astronomical rhythms and the Asian monsoon, inferred from a coastal borehole in the south Bohai Sea, China. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 329–330: 101–117, DOI 10.1016/j.palaeo.2012.02.020.
- 66. Zhang J, Tsukamoto S, Grube A and Frechen M, 2014. OSL and C-14 chronologies of a Holocene sedimentary record (Garding-2 core) from the German North Sea coast. Boreas 43: 856–868, DOI 10.1111/bor.12071.
- 67. Zhao S, Yang G, Cang S, Zhang H, Huang Q, Xia D, Wang Y, Liu F and Liu C, 1978. On the marine stratigraphy and coastlines of the western coast of the gulf of Bohai. Oceanologia and Liminologia Sinica 9. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 68. Zhao X, Geng X and Zhang J, 1979. Sea level changes of the eastern China during the past 2000 years. Acta Oceanologia Sinica 269– 281. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 69. Zhao Y, 2004. The quantitative analysis population in the northeast China of Qing Dynasty. Population Journal 146: 49–53. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
- 70. Zhu K, 1973. A primary study on climatic change in past 5000 years in China. Science in China, Ser. A 2: 168–189. (in Chinese with English Abstract).
Opracowanie ze środków MNiSW w ramach umowy 812/P-DUN/2016 na działalność upowszechniającą naukę (zadania 2017).