Influence of Cracks on the Lifetime of Semi-Rigid Pavements
Treść / Zawartość
This paper focuses on a better understanding of the process of reflective cracking propagation through the pavement structure. A series of finite element numerical simulations were conducted to investigate the initial stress and strain states in typical semi-rigid pavements with and without reflective cracks under traffic loading. It was assumed that reflective-cracks propagate from the base layer to the pavement surface. The influence of selected parameters, such as the load position, overlay thickness, and subgrade quality on stress and strain concentrations was investigated. The behaviour of the pavement structure under repeated traffic loading was analyzed in terms of ground compaction. The original theoretical model proposed by Prof. Andrzej Sawicki was used to predict the deformation of a pavement subgrade subjected to traffic loading. The damaging effect of cracks appearing in the pavement structure was investigated. It was found that even a single crack in the pavement structure may significantly reduce the pavement lifetime.
Bibliogr. 21 poz., rys., tab.
- Buttlar W. G., Bozkurt D. (2000) Cost-effectiveness of paving fabrics used to control reflective cracking, Transportation Research Record, Transportation Research Board, 1730, 139–149.
- Chen D. H., Scullion T., Bilyeu J. (2006) Lessons learned on jointed concrete pavement rehabilitation strategies in Texas, Journal of Transportation Engineering, 132 (3), 257–265.
- Haas R., Tighe S. (2000) Economic benefits of reducing and treating reflection cracking, Proceedings of the Fourth International RILEM Conference on Reflective Cracking in Pavements. Research in Practice, 495–505.
- Kazimierowicz-Frankowska K. (2008) Comparison of stresses and strain states in pavements with and without reflective cracks, Journal of Transportation Engineering, 134 (11), 483–493.
- Kazimierowicz-Frankowska K. (2009) Pavement settlements due to subgrade compaction, Geotechnics and environmental problems with cohesive subgrades, E. Dembicki, M.Kumor, Z. Lechowicz (eds), University of Technology and Life Sciences in Bydgoszcz, 531–537.
- Khodaii A., Fallah S., Nejad F. M. (2008) Effect of geosynthetics on reduction of reflective cracking in asphalt overlays, Geotextiles and Geomembranes, 27 (1), 1–8.
- Kim J., Buttlar W. G. (2002) Analysis of reflective crack control system involving reinforcing grid over base-isolating interlayer mixture, Journal of Transportation Engineering, 128 (4), 375–384.
- Martin-Perez B., Mohamed E. H. (2000) Determining the potential for reflection of cracks, Proceedings of Forth International RILEM Conference on Reflective Cracking in Pavements, 115–124.
- Pais J. P. (1999) The reflective cracking in flexible pavement overlay design, Ph.D. thesis,Univ. of Minho, Minho, Portugal.
- Perez S. A., Balay J. M., Tamagny P., Petit Ch. (2007) Accelerated pavement testing and modeling of reflective cracking in pavements, Engineering Failure Analysis, 14, 1526–1537.
- Proceedings of the First International RILEM Conference on Reflective Cracking in Pavements (1989).
- Proceedings of the Second International RILEM Conference on Reflective Cracking in Pavements (1993).
- Proceedings of the Third International RILEM Conference on Reflective Cracking in Pavements (1996).
- Proceedings of the Fourth International RILEM Conference on Reflective Cracking in Pavements. Research in Practice (2000) Ottawa, Ontario, Canada .
- Sawicki A. (1987) An engineering model for compaction of sand under cyclic loading, Engineering Transactions, 35 (4), 677–693.
- Sawicki A. (1991) Soil Mechanics for Cyclic Loadings, IBW PAN, p. 193.
- Sobhan K., Crooks T., Tandon V., Mattingly S. (2004) Laboratory simulation of the growth and propagation of reflection cracks in geogrid reinforced asphalt overlays, Proceedings of Fifth International RILEM Conference on Cracking in Pavements. Mitigation, Risk Assesssment and Prevention, Limoges, France, 589–596.
- Tschegg E. K., Ehart R. J. A., Ingruber M. M. (1998) Fracture behavior of geosynthetic interlayers in road pavements, Journal of Transportation Engineering, 124 (5), 457–464.
- Vanelstraete A., Leonard D., Veys J. (2000) Structural design of roads with steel reinforcing nettings, Proceedings of the Fourth International RILEM Conference on Reflective Cracking in Pavements. Research in Practice, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, 57–67.
- Zeghal, Mohamed (2000) The role of unbound aggregate layers in reflective cracking, Proceedings of the Fourth International RILEM Conference on Reflective Cracking in Pavements. Research in Practice, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, 103–113.
- Zhou Z.-G., Zheng J.-L. (2002) The effect of geosynthetics materials in preventing asphalt pavements from reflective cracking, Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Geosynthetics, Balkema Publisher, 963–966.
Opracowanie ze środków MNiSW w ramach umowy 812/P-DUN/2016 na działalność upowszechniającą naukę (zadania 2017).