Propagation of cracks in reinforced concrete beams cracked and repaired by composite materials
Wybrane pełne teksty z tego czasopisma
Strengthening and repairing existing reinforced concrete structures is often more economical and sustainable than rebuilding them. Today the most commonly used techniques based on reparation by externally bonded Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymers (CFRP). However, bonding concrete beams, particularly damaged beams, suffer from the pre-existing of open cracks at the bottom face of the beams. This paper presents an investigation by finite element method using the general purpose FE software Abaqus to study the flexural behavior of initially damaged concrete beams repaired with FRP plates. In this study, it is aimed to simulate the phenomenon of propagations of cracks where the beam is initially loaded to introduce damage, then, after bonding the FRP plates. The linear elastic fracture mechanics (LEFM) approach is adopted to pursue the stress intensity factor’s evolution in 3-points bending before and after reparation of RC beams. Many parameters were taken account, such us the thickness of the adhesive layer and reinforcing plate, the stiffness, and young’s modulus. Results were identified and discussed.
Bibliogr. 30 poz., il. kolor., rys., wykr.
- Faculty of Technology, Djillali Liabes University of Sidi Bel Abbes, Sidi Bel Abbes City, Ben Mhidi. B.P. 89, Algeria, email@example.com
- Faculty of Technology, Djillali Liabes University of Sidi Bel Abbes, Sidi Bel Abbes City, Ben Mhidi. B.P. 89, Algeria, firstname.lastname@example.org
-  Jian-he, X. and Ruo-lin, H.: Experimental study on rehabilitation of corrosion damaged reinforced concrete beams with carbon fiber reinforced polymer, Constr Build Mater, 38, 708-16, 2013.
-  Kim, Y. J. and Brunell, G.: Interaction between CFRP-repair and initial damage of wide flange steel beams subjected to three-point bending, Compos Struct, 93, 8, 1986-96, 2011.
-  Kim, Y. J. and Harries, K. A.: Fatigue behaviour of damaged steel beams repaired with CFRP strips, Eng. Struct., 33, 5, 1491-502, 2011.
-  Al-Saidy, A. H. and Al-Jabri, K. S.: Effect of damaged concrete cover on the behaviour of corroded concrete beams repaired with CFRP sheets, Compos. Struct., 93, 7, 1775-86, 2011.
-  Dan, D.: Experimental tests on seismically damaged composite steel concrete walls retrofitted with CFRP composites, Eng. Struct., 45, 338-48, 2012.
-  Thanasis, C. T.: Shear strengthening of reinforced concrete beams using epoxy bonded FRP composites, ACI Struct. J., 95, 2, 107-15, 1998.
-  Si Larbi, A., Agbossou, A. and Hamelin, A. P.: Experimental and numerical investigations about textile-reinforced concrete and hybrid solutions for repairing and/or strengthening reinforced concrete beams, Compos. Struct., 99, 152-62, 2013.
-  Si Larbi, A., Contamine, R. and Hamelin, P.: TRC and hybrid solutions for repairing and/or strengthening reinforced concrete beams, Eng. Struct., 45, 12-20, 2012.
-  Haddad, R. H., Al-Rousan, R. Z. and Al-Sedyiri, B. Kh.: Repair of sheardeficient and sulfate-damaged reinforced concrete beams using FRP composites, Eng. Struct., 56, 228-38, 2013.
-  Bonacci, J. F. and Maalej, M.: Externally bonded fiber-reinforced polymer for rehabilitation of corrosion damaged concrete beams, ACI Struct. J., 97, 5, 703-11, 2000.
-  Buyukozturk, O. and Hearing, B.: Failure behaviour of precracked concrete beams retrofitted with FRP, J. Compos. Constr., 23, 138-44, 1998.
-  Sharif, A., Al-Sulaimani, G. J., Basunbul, I. A., Baluch, M. H. and Ghaleb, B. N.: Strengthening of initially loaded reinforced concrete beams using FRP plates, ACI Struct. J., 91, 2, 160-8, 1994.
-  Benjeddou, O., Ben-Ouezdou, M. and Bedday, A.: Damaged RC beams repaired by bonding of CFRP laminates, Constr. Build. Mater., 21, 1301-10, 2007.
-  Tounsi, A.: Improved theoretical solution for interfacial stresses in concrete beams strengthened with FRP plate, Int. J. Solids Struct., 43, 4154-74, 2006.
-  Tounsi, A., Hassaine Daouadji, T., Benyoucef, S. and Adda Bedia, E. A.: Interfacial stresses in FRP-plated RC beams: effect of adherend shear deformations, Int. J. Adhes. and Adhes., 29, 4, 343-51, 2009.
-  Tounsi, A. and Benyoucef, S.: Interfacial stresses in externally plated concrete beams, Int. J. Adhes. and Adhes., 27, 207-15, 2007.
-  Belakhdar, K., Tounsi, A., Benyoucef, S., Adda Bedia, E. A. and El Hassar, S. M.: On the reduction of the interfacial stresses in a repaired beam with an adhesively bonded FRP plate, Compos. Interface, 17, 1-14, 2010.
-  Guenaneche, B., Krour, B., Tounsi, A., Fekrar, A., Benyoucef, S. and Adda Bedia, E. A.: Elastic analysis of interfacial stresses for the design of a strengthened FRP plate bonded to an RC beam, Int. J. Adhes. and Adhes., 30, 636-42, 2010.
-  Benachour, A., Benyoucef, S., Tounsi, A. and Adda Bedia, E. A.: Interfacial stress analysis of steel beams reinforced with bonded prestressed FRP plate, Eng. Struct., 30, 3305-15, 2008.
-  Krour, B., Bernard, F. and Tounsi, A.: Fibers orientation optimization for concrete beam strengthened with a CFRP bonded plate: a coupled analytical-numerical investigation, Eng. Struct., 56, 218-27, 2013.
-  Neale, K. W., Godat, A., Abdel Baky, H. M., Elsayed, W. E. and Ebead, U. A.: Approaches for finite element simulations of FRP-strengthened concrete beams and slabs, Arch. Civ. Eng. Environ., 4, 59-72, 2011.
-  Kim, Y. J. and Harries, K. A.: Modeling of timber beams strengthened with various CFRP composites, Eng. Struct., 32, 10, 3225-34, 2010.
-  Obaidat, Y. T., Heyden, S. and Dahlblom, O.: The effect of CFRP and CFRP/concrete interface models when modelling retrofitted RC beams with FEM, Compos. Struct., 92, 1391-8, 2010.
-  Benarbia, D., Benguediab, M.: Determination of stress intensity factor in concrete material under Brazilian disc and three-point bending tests using finite element method, Periodica Polytechnica Mechanical Engineering, 59, 4, 199-203, 2015.
-  Buyle-Bodin, F., David, E. and Ragneau, E.: Finite element modelling of flexural behaviour of externally bonded CFRP reinforced concrete structure, Eng. Struct., 24 11, 1423-9, 2002.
-  Le Bellego, C., Dube, J. F., Pijaudier-Cabot, G. and Gerard, B.: Calibration of nonlocal damage model from size effect tests, Eur. J. Mech. A/Solids, 46, 22-33, 2003.
-  Kumar, S. and Barai, S. V.: Concrete fracture models and applications, Berlin Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2011.
-  De-cheng, F., Lin, T. and Peng, C.: Study of longitudinal cracking during settlement of soil based oextended finite element method [J], Engineering Mechanics, 28, 5, 149-154, 2011.
-  Peng, C., De-cheng, F., Lin, T. and Ru-xin, J.: Based on elastic-plastic damage mechanics to research cracking evolution of Cement stabilized base course during maintaining period [J], Engineering Mechanics, 28, (S1): 99, 102-109, 2011.
-  Perez, N.: Fracture Mechanics, Department of Mechanical Engineering University of Puerto Rico, Kluwer Academic Publishers, ISBN 1-4020-7861-7, http://ebooks.kluweronline.com, Boston, 2004.