Helicobacter pylori increases expression of proapoptotic markers Fas and FasL on CD4 lymphocytes in children
The pathomechanism of Helicobacter pylori action upon gastric mucosa and its role in the pathogenesis of gastritis have not been fully elucidated. The aim of this study was to evaluate the most prevalent lymphocyte subpopulations of the gastric mucosa in gastritis in children, as well as to evaluate the expression of Fas and Fas ligand receptors (FasL), periapoptotic markers of gastric mucosa lymphocytes before and after H. pylori eradication. Forty nine patients aged 6 to 17 years, investigated due to chronic abdominal pain, were studied. The obtained tissue samples were analysed by immunohistochemistry. Different lymphocyte subsets were quantified on the basis of surface antigen expression (CD3, CD4, CD8, CD20), secreted cytokines (IL-4, IL-6, IFNγ) and Fas and FasL proteins in the gastric mucosa. B and T helper lymphocytes were found to play a major role in the inflammatory infiltration in the gastric mucosa in children during H. pylori infection. Their expression was found to decrease after eradication. The enhanced expression of Fas receptor on lymphocytes before treatment and a decrease of this expression after eradication of H. pylori were shown. It was demonstrated that there is a correlation between CD4 and Fas receptor expression that may induce apoptosis of the helper lymphocytes in infected children.
- Ashton-Key M, Diss TC, Isaacson PG (1996) Detection of Helicobacter pylori in gastric biopsy and resection specimens. J Clin Pathol 49: 107-111.
- Bland DA, Suarez G, Beswick EJ, Siera JC, Reyes VE (2006) Helicobacter pylori receptor MHC class II contributes to the dynamic gastric epithelial apoptotic response. World J Gastroenterol 12: 4689-4693.
- Bussiere FI, Chaturvedi R, Asim M (2006) Low multiplicity of infection of Helicobacter pylori suppresses apoptosis of B lymphocytes. Cancer Res 66: 6834-6842.
- Dixon MF, Genta RM, Yardley JH, Correa P (1996) Classification and grading of gastritis. The updated Sydney System. Am J Surg Pathol 20: 1161-1181.
- Dohil R, Hassall E, Jevon G, Dimmick J (1999) Gastritis and gastropathy of childhood. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 29: 378-394.
- Ernst PB, Gold BD (1999) Helicobacter pylori in childhood: new insights into the immunopathogenesis of gastric disease and implications for managing infection in children. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 28: 462-473.
- Houghton J, Korah RM, Condon MR, Kim KH (1999) Apoptosis in Helicobacter pylori-associated gastric and duodenal ulcer disease is mediated via the Fas antigen pathway. Dig Dis Sci 44: 465-478.
- Ishihara S, Fukuda R, Kawashima K, Moriyama N, Suetsugu H, Ishimura N, Kazumori H, Kaji T, Sato H, Okuyama T, Rumi K, Adachi K, Watanabe M, Kinoshita Y (2001) T cell-mediated cytotoxicity via Fas/Fas ligand signaling in Helicobacter pylori-infected gastric corpus. Helicobacter 6: 283-293.
- Konturek PC, Kania J, Kukharsky V, Ocker S, Hahn EG, Konturek SJ (2003) Influence of gastrin on the expression of cyclooxygenase-2, hepatocyte growth factor and apoptosis-related proteins in gastric epithelial cells. J Physiol Pharmacol 54: 17-32.
- Koyama S (2000) Apoptotic depletion of infiltrating mucosal lymphocytes associate with Fas ligand expression by Helicobacter pylori-infected gastric mucosal epithelium: human glandular stomach as a site of immune privilege. Dig Dis Sci 45: 773-780.
- Krauss-Etschmann S, Gruber R, Plikat K, Antoni I, Demmelmair H, Reinhardt D, Koletzko S (2005) Increase of antigen-presenting cells in gastric mucosa of Helicobacter pylori-infected children. Helicobacter 10: 214-222.
- Luzza F, Parrello T, Sebkowa L, Pensabene L, Imeneo M, Mancuso M, La Vecchia AM, Monteleone G, Strisciuglio P, Pallone F (2000) Expression of proinflammatory and Th1 but not Th2 cytokines is enhanced in gastric mucosa of Helicobacter pylori infected children. Dig Liver Dis 33: 14-20.
- Maciorkowska E, Kaczmarski M, Kemona A (1999) Concentration of selected cytokines of gastric mucosa in children with Helicobacter pylori infection. Med Sci Monit 5: 1140-1145.
- Misiewicz JJ, Tytgat GNJ, Goodwin CS, Price AB, Sipponen P, Strickland RG, Cheli R (1994) The Sydney System: a new classification of gastritis. Working Party Reports, 1990 (Polish translation in Pract Med 9: 89-98).
- Moss SF, Calam J, Agrawal B, Wang S, Holt PG (1996) Induction of gastric epithelial apoptosis by Helicobacter pylori. Gut 38: 498-501.
- Schmees C, Prinz C, Treptau T, Rad R, Hengst L, Voland P, Bauer S (2007) Inhibition of T-cell proliferation by Helicobacter pylori gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase. Gastroenterology 132: 1820-1833.
- Singh M, Prasad KN, Krishnani N, Saxena A, Yachha SK (2006) Helicobacter pylori infection, histopathological gastritis and gastric epithelial cell apoptosis in children. Acta Paediatr 95: 732-737.
- Sommer F, Faller G, Konturek P, Kirchner T, Hahn EG, Zeus J, Rollinghoff M, Lohoff M (1998) Antrum- and corpus mucosa-infiltrating CD4 lymphocytes in Helicobacter pylori gastritis display a Th1 phenotype. Infect Immun 66: 5543-5546.
- Souza H, Neves M, Elia C, Tortori C, Dines I, Martinusso C, Madi K, Andrade L, Castelo-Branco M (2006) Distinct patterns of mucosal apoptosis in H. pylori-associated gastric ulcer are associated with altered FasL and perforin cytotoxic pathways. World J Gastroenterol 12: 6133-6141.
- Suerbaum S, Michetti P (2002) Helicobacter pylori infection. N Engl J Med 347: 1175-1186.
- The Consensus of Polish Working Group on Helicobacter pylori (1997) Pol Gastroenterol 6: 635-640 (in Polish).
- Tytgat GNJ (1992) Short term and long term consequences of gastritis/duodenitis-preface. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 4 (Suppl 2): 1.
- Wang J, Fan X, Lindholm C, Bennett M, O'Connoll J, Shanahan F, Brooks EG, Reyes VE, Ernst PB (2000) Helicobacter pylori modulates lymphoepithelial cell interactions leading to epithelial cell damage through Fas/Fas ligand interactions. Infect Immun 68: 4303-4311.
- Wang J, Brooks EG, Bamford KB, Denning TL, Pappo J, Ernst PB (2001) Negative selection of T cells by Helicobacter pylori as a model for bacterial strain selection by immune invasion. J Immunol 167: 926-934.
- Wisniewski P, Master A, Kaminska B (2008) Cloning and purification of functionally active Fas ligand interfering protein (FIP) expressed in Escherichia coli. Acta Biochim Polon 55: 51-56.