Transcriptional regulation of the gluB promoter during plant response to infection
Several studies suggest that plant hydrolytic enzymes, such as 1,3-b- glucanases, may be components of a general defense system against pathogen invasion in several different plant species. We isolated and characterized a genomic sequence coding for a new acidic 1,3-b-glucanase (gluB) from Solanum tuberosum. The 5' flanking region of the gluB gene was also characterized. A chimeric gene composed of 2998 bp of the promoter sequence from the gluB gene was fused to the b-glucuronidase (GUS) coding region and used to transform potato and tobacco plants. Transcriptional activation of the gluB promoter was investigated in response to inoculation with Phytophthora infestans (Pi) or tobacco mosaic virus (TMV). In pathogen inoculated transgenic plants, GUS activity was strongly induced locally around necrotic lesions.
- 1. Leubner-Metzger, G. and Meins, F. Jr. Function and regulation of plant ß-1,3-glucananses (PR-2). in: Pathogenesis Related Proteins (Datta, S.K. and Muthukrishnan, S. Eds), CRS Press, Washington, DC, 1999, 49-66.
- 2. Ward, E.R., Payne, G.B., Moyer, M.B., Williams, S.C., Dincher, S.S., Sharkey, K.C., Beck, J.J., Taylor, H.T., Ahl-Goy, P., Meins, F. Jr. and Ryals, J.A. Differential regulation of ß-1,3-glucanase messenger RNAs in response to pathogen infection. Plant Physiol. 96 (1991) 390-397.
- 3. Hennig, J., Dewey, R.E., Cutt, J.R. and Klessig, D.F. Pathogen, salicylic acid and developmental dependent expression of a 1,3-ß-glucanase/GUS fusion in transgenic tobacco plants. Plant J. 4 (1993) 481-493.
- 4. Shah, J. and Klessig, D.F. Identification of a salicylic acid-responsive element in the promoter of the tobacco pathogenesis-related 1,3-ß-glucanase gene, PR-2d. Plant J. 10 (1996) 1089-1101.
- 5. Ward, E.R., Uknes, S.J., Williams, S.C., Dincher, S.S., Wiederhold, D.L., Alexander, D.C., Ahl-Goy, P., Metraux, J.-P. and Ryals, J.A. Coordinate gene activity in response to agents that induce systemic acquired resistance. Plant Cell 3 (1991) 1085-1094.
- 6. Leubner-Metzger, G., Frundt, C., Vogeli-Lange, R. and Meins, F. Jr. Class I [beta]-1,3-glucanases in the endosperm of tobacco during germination. Plant Physiol. 109 (1995) 751-759.
- 7. Vogeli-Lange, R., Frundt, C., Hart, C.M., Nagy, F. and Meins, F. Jr. Developmental, hormonal, and pathogenesis-related regulation of the tobacco class I beta-1,3-glucanase B promoter. Plant Mol. Biol. 25 (1994) 299-311.
- 8. Talarczyk, A. Identyfication of new elements involved in plant response to viral infection. Ph.D. Thesis, IBB-PAS (2001)
- 9. Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E.F. and Maniatis, T. Molecular Cloning. A Laboratory Manual Cold Spring Harbor, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press (1989).
- 10. Jefferson, R.A., Kavanagh, T.A. and Bevan, M.W. GUS fusions: ß-Glucuronidase as a sensitive and versatile gene fusion marker in higher plants. EMBO J. 6 (1987) 3901-3907.
- 11. An, G. Development of plant promoter expression vectors and their use for analysis of differential activity of nopaline synthase promoter in transformed tobacco cells. Plant Physiol. 81 (1986) 86-91.
- 12. Horsch, R.B., Fry, J.E. Hoffmann, N.L., Eichholtz, D., Rogers, S.G. and Fraley, R.T. A simple and general method for transferring genes into plants. Science 227 (1985) 1229-1231.
- 13. Murashige, T. and Skoog, F. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiol. Plant. 15 (1962) 473-479.
- 14. Jefferson, R.A., Burgess, S.M. and Hirsh, D. ß-Glucuronidase from Escherichia coli as a gene fusion marker. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 83 (1986) 8447-8451.
- 15. Bradford, M.M. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal. Biochem. 72 (1976) 248-254.
- 16. Goodman, N., Kiraly, Z. and Wood, K.R. The Biochemistry and Physiology of Plant Disease, University of Missouri Press, Columbia, 1986, 352-365.
- 17. Van de Rhee, M.D., Lemmers, R. and Bol, J.F. Analysis of regulatory elements involved in stress-induced and organ-specific expression of tobacco acidic and basic beta-1,3-glucanase genes Plant Mol. Biol. 21 (1993) 451-461,
- 18. Borkowska, M., Krzymowska, M., Talarczyk, A., Awan, M.F.M., Yakovleva, L., Kleczkowski, K. and Wielgat. B. Transgenic potato plants expressing soybean beta-1,3-endoglucanase gene exhibit an increased resistance to Phytophthora infestans. Z. Naturforsch. 53 (1998) 1012-1016.