The sanitary and bacteriological quality of water flowing into Wadag Lake
A number of indicatory microorganisms are found in clean and lightly polluted surface water in the ditch in Słupy village and in the drainage ditch in the region of Barczewo; in the Elżbieta Canal and in Wójtowo stream - for clean (TVC 37°C), lightly (TC, FC, and FS), or strongly (TVC 20°C) polluted surface water; and for inconsiderably or noticeably (TVC 20°C and TVC 37°C) and strongly (TC, FC, FS and Clostridium perfnngens) polluted surface waters, in the Orzechówka and Pisa Rivers. An inconsiderable amount of pollution by indicatory microorganisms is characteristic of the waters of Wadąg Lake and the Wadąg River, which flows from this reservoir. The greater amount of pollution by these microorganisms in the investigated watercourses occurs after rainfall in May and/or June, in September 1992, and after rain and thawing in the lake in January 1993.
- AMERICAN PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOCIATION (AP- HA). Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 14 Ed, Washington, D.C. 1 — 1193, 1975.
- GARY H.L, ADAMS I.C. Indicator bacteria in water and stream sediments near the Snow Range in Southern Wyo¬ming. Water, Air and Soil Pollution, 25, 133—144,1985.
- GELDREICH EL. Buffalo Lake recreational water quali¬ty. A study in bacteriological data interpretation. Water Res, 6, 913 - 924, 1972.
- HUNTER C., MC DONALD, Seasonal changes in the sanitary bacterial quality of water draining a small upland catchment in the Yorkshire Dales. Water Res, 25, 447 -453,1991.
- INSTYTUT METEOROLOGII I GOSPODARKI WO¬DNEJ, Podział Hydrograficzny Polski. Część I. Zestawie¬nia liczbowo-opisowe. Warszawa, I.M.C.W. 1, 924,1983.
- JAWSON M.D, ELLIOT L.F, SAXTON K.E, FOR¬TIER D.H, Effect of cattle grazing on indicator bacteria in runoff from a Pacific North West watershed. J. Environ. Qual, 11, 621-727,1981
- McFETERS I.A, STUART D.G, Survival of coliform ba¬cteria in natural waters: field and laboratory studies with membrane filter chambers. Appl. Microbiol, 24, 805 — 811, 1972.
- NIEMI R.M, NIEMI J.S, Bacterial pollution of waters in pristine and agricultural lands. J. Environ. Qual, 20, 620 - 627,1991.
- NIEWOLAK S, SOLARSKI H, Fecal coliform discharge from Lake B§skie watershed. Ekol. pol, 35, 639—654,1987.
- SKINNER Q.D, SPECK J.J, SMITH M, ADAMS J.C, Stream water quality as influenced by beaver withinggra- zing systems in Wyoming. J. Range Manag, 37,142—146, 1984.
- STEPHENSON G.R, RYCHERT R.C., Bottom sedi¬ments: a reservoir of Escherichia coli in rangeland streams. J. Range Manag, 35, 119 — 123,1982.
- STEPHENSON G.R, STREET L.V., Bacterial variations in streams from a Southern Idaho rangeland watershed. J. Environ. Qual, 7, 150-157,1982.
- U.S.DEPT. OF INTERIOR, FED. WAT. POLLUT. CONTROL ADM, WATER QUALITY CRITERIA. Re¬port of the Committee on Water Quality Criteria. Washin¬gton D.C, 12,1968.