Density-dependent regulatory mechanisms of the generative potency in the males of a bank vole Myodes glareolus
Morphological analysis revealed destructive changes in the testicular tissue of bank volesMyodes glareolus Schreber, 1780 during different phases of a population fluctuation. The most pronounced changes were observed at the peak phase, when karyolysis of the Leydig cells and degeneration of spermatogenous cells were recorded in 90% of males. During the increase phase, depression of androgenous testicular function was observed in only 50% of males and atrophy of seminiferous tubules in 30% of males. During the low phase, the proportion of males with destructive changes in generative and endocrine portions of the testicles did not exceed 30%. Morphometrical analysis of spermatozoa demonstrated that the size of the head and nucleus were related to the phase of the population fluctuation. Lengths of the middle and main parts of the spermatozoon tail, as well as the size of the acrosome, were not related to phase of the population fluctuation.
- Aguilera G. and Rabadan-Diehl C. 2000. Vasopressinergic regulation of the hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis: Implication for stress adaptation. Regulatory Peptides 96: 23–29.
- Beatty R. A. 1970. The genetics of the mammalian gamete. Biological Review 45: 73–119.
- Bernshtein A. D., Zhigalsky O. A. and Panina T. V. 1989. Multi-annual fluctuations in the size of a population of the bank vole in European part of the Soviet Union. Acta Theriologica 34: 409–438.
- Bjørnstad O. N., Stenseth N. C., Saiton T. and Lingjaerde O. C. 1998. Mapping the regional transition to cyclicity inClethrionomys rufocanus: special densities and functional data analysis. Research in Population Ecology 40: 77–84.
- Blottner S., Roelants H., Wagener A. and Wenzel U. D. 1999. Testicular mitosis, meiosis and apoptosis in mink (Mustela vison) during breeding and non-breeding seasons. Animal Reproduction Science 57: 237–249.
- Blottner S., Faber D. and Roelants H. 2000. Seasonal variation of testicular activity in European brown hare (Lepus europaeus). Acta Theriologica 45: 385–394.
- Bouters R., Esnault C., Ortavant R. and Salisburg G. W. 1976. Comparison of DNA revealed by Feul gen and by ultra-violet light in rabbit spermatozoa after storage in the male efferent ducts. Nature 213: 181–182.
- Cerqueira D., De Sousa B., Gabrion C., Giraudoux P., Quéré J. and Delattre P. 2006. Cyclic changes in the population structure and reproductive pattern of the water vote,Arvicola terrestris Linnaeus, 1758. Mammalian Biology 71: 193–202.
- Christian J. J. 1963. Endocrine adaptive mechanisms and the physiologic regulation of population growth. [In: Physiological mammalogy. Vol. 2. M. V. Mayer and R. G. Van Gelder, eds]. Academic Press, New York: 189–353.
- Christian J. J. 1971. Population density and reproductive efficiency. Biology of Reproduction 4: 248–294.
- Christian J. J. 1974. Hormonal control of population growth. [In: Hormonal correlates of behavior. Volume 1. B. E. Eleftheriou and R. L. Sprott, eds]. Plenum Press, New York: 205–274.
- De Kretser D. M. 1984. The testis. [In: Hormonal control of reproduction. C. R. Austin and R. V. Short, eds]. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge: 100–117.
- Getz L. L., Oli M. K., Hofmann J. E. and McGuire B. 2006. Vole population dynamics: factors affecting peak densities and amplitudes ofMicrotus ochrogaster population fluctuations. Basic and Applied Ecology 7: 97–107.
- Getz L. L., Oli M. K., Hofmann J. E. and McGuire B. 2007. Vole population dynamics: factors affecting peak densities and amplitudes of annual population fluctuations ofMicrotus pennsylvanicus. Acta Theriologica 52: 159–170.
- Gockel J. and Ruf T. 2001. Alternative seasonal reproductive strategies in wild rodent populations. Journal of Mammology 82: 1034–1046.
- Hales D. B. and Payne A. H. 1989. Glucocorticoid-mediated repression of P450scc mRNA and de novo synthesis in cultured Leydig cells. Endocrinology 124: 2099–2104.
- Hardy M. P., Gao H.-B., Dong Q., Ge R., Wang Q., Chai W. R., Feng X. and Sottas C. 2005. Stress hormone and male reproductive function. Cell and Tissue Research 322: 147–153.
- Huitu O., Norrdahl K. and Korpimäki E. 2004. Competition, predation and interspecific synchrony in cyclic small mammal communities. Ecography 27: 197–206.
- Kimura M., Itoh N., Takagi S., Sasao T., Takahashi A., Masumori N. and Tsukamoto T. 2003. Balance of apoptosis and proliferation of germ cells related to spermatogenesis in aged men. Journal of Andrology 24: 185–191.
- Klemola T., Korpimäki E. and Koivula M. 2002. Rate of population change in voles from different phases of the population cycle. Oikos 96: 291–298.
- Klonisch T., Schon J., Hombach-Klonisch S. and Blottner S. 2006. The roe deer as a model for studying seasonal regulation of testis function. International Journal of Andrology 29: 122–127.
- Krebs C. J. 1996. Population cycles revisited. Journal of Mammology 77: 8–24.
- Krebs C. J. and Myers J. H. 1974. Population cycles in small mammals. Advances in Ecological Research 8: 267–399.
- Lee A. K. and MacDonald J. R. 1985. Stress and population regulation in small mammals. Oxford Reviews of Reproductive Biology 7: 261–304.
- Mamina V. P. and Zhigalsky O. A. 2004. The analysis of destructive changes in the testis of small mammals at different abundance levels. Doklady Academii Nauk 394 (3): 1–3. [In Russian with English summary]
- Menkveld R., El-Garem Y., Schill W. and Henkel R. 2003. Relationship between human sperm morphology and acrosomal function. Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics 20: 432–438.
- Norrdahl K. and Korpimäki E. 2002. Changes in population structure and reproduction during a 3-yr population cycle of voles. Oikos 96: 331–345.
- Oksanen T. and Henttonen H. 1996. Dynamics of voles and small mustelids in the taiga landscape of northern Fennoscandia in relation to habitat quality. Ecography 19: 432–443.
- Oli M. K. 1999. The Chitty effect: a consequence of dynamic energy allocation in a fluctuating environment. Theoretical Population Biology 56: 293–300.
- Orr T. E., Taylor M. F., Bhattacharyya A. K., Collins D. C. and Mann D. R. 1994. Acute immoblization stress disrupts testicular steroidogenesis in adult male rats by inhibiting the activities of 17α-hydroxylase and 17,20-lyase without affecting the binding of LH/hCG receptors. Journal of Andrology 15: 302–308.
- Roosen-Runge E. C. 1977. The process of spermatogenesis in animals. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge: 1–252.
- Russell L. D., Bartke A. and Goh J. C. 1989. Postnatal development of the Sertoli cell barrier, tubular lumen, and cytoskeleton of Sertoli and myoid cells in the rat, and their relations to tubular fluid and flow. American Jurnal of Anatomy 184: 179–189.
- Schon J., Goritz F., Streich J. and Blottner S. 2004. Histological organization of roe deer testis throughout the seasonal cycle: variable and constant components of tubular and interstitial compartment. Anatomy and Embryology 208: 151–159.
- Sharpe R. M, McKinnell C., Kivlin C. and Fisher J. S. 2003. Proliferation and functional maturation of Sertoli cells, and their relevance to disorders of testis function in adulthood. Reproduction 125: 769–784.
- Taitt M. J. and Krebs C. J. 1985. Population dynamics and cycles. [In: Biology of New WorldMicrotus. R. H. Tamarin, ed]. Special Publication of the American Society of Mammologists 8: 567–620.
- Tkachev A. V. 1980. [Endocrine the characteristic population a cycle lemmings islands Vrangel]. [In: The mechanism of regulation of numerosity lemming and vole on the far North. A. V. Tkachev, F. B. Chernyavsky, B. V. Kester and N. V. Shvareva, eds]. Tsentr Akademii Nauk, Vladivostok: 119–126. [In Russian]
- Vladimirova E. G., Chernigovskaya E. V. and Danilova O. A. 2006. Hypothalamo-pituitary neurosecretory system of the northern redbacked voleClethrionomys rutilus in the course of population cycle. Journal of Evolutionary Biochemistry and Physiology 42: 208–216. [In Russian with English summary]
- Woolveridge I., de Boer-Brouwer M., Taylor M. F., Teerds K. J., Wu F. C. W. and Morris I. D. 1999. Biology of apoptosis in the rat spermatogeic epithelium following androgen withdrawal: Changes in apoptosis-related genes. Reproduction 60: 461–470.
- Zhigalsky O. A. 1992. Factorial analysis of population dynamics in rodents. Polish Ecological Studies 18: 3–158.
- Zhigalsky O. A. and Kshnyasev I. A. 1999. Structure of population cycle of a bank vole. Doklady Academii Nauk 369: 281–282. [In Russian with English summary]
- Zhigalsky O. A. and Kshnyasev I. A. 2000. Population cycles of the bank vole in the range optimum. Journal of Ecology 31: 345–352. [In Russian with English summary]