Rural awareness of environmental issues: the case of Turkey
The main aim of this study was to determine the relationship between environmental consciousness and socio-economic characteristics of rural inhabitants and to reflect on the ideas of rural people about the solution of environmental problems. Paying attention to not destroying the environment while using agrochemicals, and attending environmental works were taken as possible indicators of environmental attitudes and behavior among rural dwellers. Data were obtained from 159 rural dwellers living in 11 villages of Afyonkarahisar and 14 villages of Eskisehir provinces of Turkey via survey. Chi-square test (χ2) was used while analyzing the relationship between socio-economic characteristics of rural people and environmental consciousness. No statistically significant relationship was found between determining the amount and type of fertilizer and education, or between determining the amount and type of agro-chemicals and education, or between determining the amount and type of fertilizer and age. Only when determining the amount of fertilizer was age a statistically significant factor.
- 1. PELS TRIN G L. Measuring Environmental Attitudes: The New Environmental Paradigm, 1997. (http:www.socialresearchmethods. net/Gallery/pelstring/lisap.htm).
- 2. SCHULTS P. W., ZELENZY L. Values as predictors of environmental attitudes: evidence for consistency across 14 countries. J. Environ. Psychol., 19, 255, 1999.
- 3. SRINIVAS H., PALLEN P. The environmental colours of microfinance theory and practice, 2005. (http://www.gdrc. org/icm/environ/plan-4.html#A).
- 4. ELLIS F. Peasant Economics: Farm Households and Agrarian Development, 2nd ed., Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, pp. 248-275, 1993.
- 5. KOWALEWSKI D. Environmental attitudes in town and country: a community survey. Environmental Politics, 3(2), 295, 1984.
- 6. FLICHMAN G. Modelling agricultural and environmental policy using a bio-economic approach. Metu Studies in Development, 25(1), 61, 1998.
- 7. OEC D. Environmental Policy: How to Apply Economic Instruments. OECD: Paris, 1992.
- 8. GUJARATI D. N. Basic Econometrics, 3rd ed., McGraw – Hill, Inc.: New York, pp. 141-143, 1995.
- 9. MIRER T.W. Economic Statistics and Econometrics, 3rd ed., Prentice Hall, Inc.: New Jersey, pp. 396-400, 1995.
- 10. DEVORE J., PECK R. Statistics: The Exploration and Analysis of Data, 2nd ed., Duxbury Press: Belmont, California, pp. 808-838, 1993.
- 11. GOKCE O. Rural population-environment relations and a case study from Turkey. Turkish Journal of Agriculture and Forestry, 21(4), 413, 1997.
- 12. GOKCE O. Izmir ili kirsal kesiminde cevre sosyolojisi konusunda bir arastirma (In Turkish), Ege Universitesi Arastirma Fonu, Izmir, 1995.
- 13. KIBERT N. C. An Analysis of the Correlations between the Attitude, Behaviour and Knowledge Components of Environmental Literacy in Undergraduate University Students. Unpublished MSc Thesis, University of Florida, 2000.
- 14. GIRDNER E. J., AKIS S. Environmental attitudes in Northern Cyprus. Metu Studies in Development, 23 (4), 477, 1996.
- 15. AKAY M., AKCA H. SAYILI M., ESENGUN K. A Research on the sensitivity of rural people to environmental problems (a case study of Tokat-Turkey). Proceedings of the 70th EAAE Seminar on Problems and Prospects of Balkan Agriculture in a Restructuring Environment, June 9-11, Thessaloniki, pp. 180-184, 2000.
- 16. ISIN S. Izmir Ili Kemalpasa yoresinde meyve ureticilerinin cevre anlayisi ve bunun tarimsal uygulamalara yansimasi uzerine bir arastirma (In Turkish). IV. Ulusal Tarim Ekonomisi Kongresi, Tekirdag, 2000.
- 17. BUDAK D. B., BUDAK F., ZAIMOGLU Z., KEKEC S., SUCU M. Y. Behaviour and attitudes of students towards environmental issues at faculty of agriculture, Turkey. Journal of Applied Sciences, 5 (7), 1224, 2005.
- 18. CAGLAYAN L. Manisa merkez ilce ova koylerinde kimyasal gubrelerin tedarik ve kullanimi uzerine bir arastirma. Izmir: Karinca Matbaacilik ve Tic. Kol. Sti., 1983.
- 19. KURTASLAN T., ORUC E., CICEK A. Tokat ilinde ciftcilerin cevre sorunlari konusundaki bilgi ve bilinc duzeyleri, konuya iliskin yaklasimlarinin degerlendirilmesi. IV. Ulusal Tarim Ekonomisi Kongresi 6-8 Eylul Tekirdag-Turkiye, 2000.
- 20. AKCA H., SAYILI M., ONEN H. Factors affecting decision-making of farmers in weed management (case study of Tokat, Turkey). Journal of Plant Diseases and Protection (Zeitschrift für Pflanzenkrankheiten und Pflanzenschutz), Special Issue XX, 2006 (in press).