Differential tolerance of Albizia lebbeck and Leucaena leucocephala at toxic levels of lead and cadmium
Seed germination and seedling growth of Albizia lebbeck and and Leucaena leucocephala were significantly (p < 0.05) reduced at 500 and 700 ppm of lead and cadmium as compared to control. 700 ppm of Pb showed the highest reduction in seed germination and seedling growth of both species. Lowest reduction in different parameters of Albizia lebbeck and and Leucaena leucocephala were found at 500 ppm of Cd as compared to other treatments applied in this investigation. Percentage of tolerance was lowest at 700 ppm of lead than other treatments. L. leucocephala was comparatively more tolerant to Pb and Cd than A. lebbeck.
- 1. ARA F., IQBAL M.Z., QURESHI M.S. Determination of heavy metals contamination of trees and soils due to vehicular emission in Karachi city. Karachi University Journal of Science 24, 80, 1996.
- 2. BRECKLE S.W., KAHILE H. Effects of toxic heavy metals Cd, Pb on growth and mineral nutrition of beech Vegetatio 101, 43, 1992.
- 3. BURZYNSKI S., MEREK K. Effect of Pb and Cd on enzymes of nitrate assimilation in cucumber seedling. Acta Physiology Plantarum 12, 105, 1990.
- 4. CHUGH L.K., VIRINDER K.G., SURINDER K.S. Effect of cadmium on enzymes of nitrogen metabolism in pea seedlings. Phytochemistry 31, 395, 1992.
- 5. DALAL T., BAIRGI P. Effect of Hg, As and Pb on germination and seedling growth of two Jute varieties. Environmental Ecology 3, 403, 1985.
- 6. FOY C.O., CHANEY R.L., WHITE M.C. The physiology of metal toxicity in plants. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. 29, 511, 1978.
- 7. FRIEDL A.J., JOHNSON A.H., SICCAMA T.G. Trace metal content of the forest floor in the green mountains of Vermont: spatial and temporal patterns. Water, Air and soil pollution 21, 161, 1984.
- 8. GODBOLD D.L., HUTTERMANN A. The uptake and toxicity of mercury and lead to spruce (Picea abies Karst.) seedlings. Water, Air and soil pollution 31, 509, 1986.
- 9. GOLDBOLD D.L., KETTNER C. Lead influences root growth and mineral nutrition of Picea abies seedlings. Plant physiology 139, 95, 1991.
- 10. GREGORY R.P.G., BRADSHAW A.D. Heavy metal tolerance in population of Agrostis tenuis Sibith. and other grasses. New Phytol. 64, 131, 1965.
- 11. HAILING L.I.U., QING L.I., PENG Y. Effect of cadmium on seed germination, seedling growth and oxidase enzyme in crops. Chinese Journal of Environmental Science. 12, 29, 1991.
- 12. IQBAL M.Z., SHERWANI A.K. SHAFIQ M. Vegetation characteristics and trace metals (Cu, Zn and Pb) in soils along the super highways near Karachi, Pakistan, Studia Botanica Hungarica. 29, 79, 1999.
- 13. IQBAL M.Z., REHMAN S.A. Effects of Cd, Zn, Cr and Pb on seed germination and seedling growth of plants. Pakistan Journal of Environmental Science 1, 47, 2002.
- 14. IQBAL M.Z., SIDDIQUI D.A. Effect of lead toxicity on seed germination and seedling growth of some tree species. Pakistan Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research 35, 139, 1992.
- 15. IQBAL M.Z., TARIQ M., FIRDOUS A. Influence of cadmium toxicity on germination and growth of some common trees. Pakistan Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research 34, 140, 1991.
- 16. JAVID I., SAHAR M. Effect of lead on germination, early seedling growth, soluble protein and acid phosphatase content in Zea mays L. Pakistan Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research 30, 853-856, 1987.
- 17. KELLY J.M., PARKER G.R., MEFEE W.W. Heavy metal accumulation and growth of seedlings of five forest species as influenced by soil cadmium level. J. Environ. Qual. 8, 361, 1979.
- 18. KHALID F., IQBAL M.Z., QURESHI M.S. Concentration of heavy metals determined in levels and soil from different localities in Karachi city. Environmental Sciences. 4, 213, 1996.
- 19. LERDA D. The effect of lead on Allium cepa. Mutation Research 231, 80, 1992.
- 20. MAHMOOD M.T., IQBAL M.Z. Impact of vehicular emission on seed germination of some roadside trees. Pakistan Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research 32, 752, 1989.
- 21. RASHID P., MUKHERJEE A. Effect of lead nitrate on some anatomical features of mung bean. Bangladesh Journal of Botany. 19, 149, 1990.
- 22. SHARIFAH B.A., HISHASHI O. Effects of lead, cadmium and zinc on the cell elongation of impatiens balsamina. Environ. Experi. Bot. 32, 439, 1992.
- 23. SINGH D.N., SRIVASTAVA S. Effect of cadmium on seed germination and seedling growth of Zea mays. Biol. Sci. 61, 245, 1991.
- 24. STEFAN A., ARUNDIN I., ONNES A. Germination and initial growth in presence of heavy metals. Ann. Bot. Fenn. 28, 37, 1991.
- 25. WOOLHOUSE H.W. Toxicity and tolerance in the responses of plants to metals. Pages 245-300. in Lange, O.L., Nobel, P.S., Osmond, C.B. and Ziegler, H., eds. Phsiological Plant Ecology. lll. Responses to the Chemical and Biological Environment. Springer, Berlin. 1983.
- 26. YOUSAFZAI A.H.K. Lead and heavy metals in the street dust of Metropolitan City of Karachi. Pakistan Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research 34, 157, 1991.