Comparison of the effect of cronolone sponges and PMSG or cloprostenol on estrous induction in Turkish Saanem goats
The efficiency of cronolone sponges in combination with either pregnant mare serum gonadotropin (PMSG) or cloprostenol (PGF2(2α) for inducing and synchronizing the estrous cycle in Turkish Saanen does was investigated during the transition from non-breeding to breeding season. All does (n=80) were treated with 20 mg cronolone sponges for 11 days and divided into 4 equal groups. In addition, each doe received an intramuscular injection of either 1.5 ml sterile saline solution, 0.075 mg PGF2α 500 IU PMSG or 500 IU PMSG and 0.075 mg PGF2α, 24 h before the sponge removal. Cervical artificial insemination (AI) with frozen-thawed semen was performed once 16 h after the detection of the first accepted mount. The total estrous response for the first 24 ± 4 h, total estrous response within 96 h, time to onset of the induced estrus, duration of the induced estrus and pregnancy rate was found to be 75.0%, 97.5%, 31.4 ± 1.2 h, 29.3 ± 1.2 h, and 33.3%, respectively. There were significant differences between the first two groups and the last two groups in terms of the onset of induced estrus and estrous response at the first 24 ± 4 h (P < 0.05). These results indicate that the use of cronolone/PMSG was more effective than cronolone/PGF2α in the attainment of early and compact induction of estrus in Turkish Saanen does.
- Ahmed MM M, Makawi SE, Jubara AS (1998) Synchronization of oestrus in Nubian goats. Small Rum Res 30: 113-120.
- Baril G, Leboeuf B, Saumande J (1993) Synchronization of estrus in goats: the relationship between time of occurrence of estrus and fertility following artificial insemination. Theriogenology 40: 621-628.
- Chemineau P, Malpaux B, Delgadillo JA, Guérin Y, Ravault JP, Thimonier J, Pelletier J (1992) Control of sheep and goat reproduction: use of light and melatonin. Anim Reprod Sci 30: 157-184.
- Dogan I, Nur Z, Gunay U, Sagyrkaya H, Soylu MK, Sonmez C (2005) Estrous synchronization during the natural breeding season in Anatolian Black does. Vet Med-Czech 50: 33-38.
- Dogan I, Nur Z, Gunay U, Soylu MK, Sonmez C (2004) Comparison of fluorgestone and medroxyprogesterone intravaginal sponges for oestrus synchronization in Saanen does during the transition period. S Afr J Anim Sci 34: 18-22.
- Freitas VJF, Baril G, Saumande J (1997) Estrus synchronization in dairy goats: use of fluorogestone acetate vaginal sponges or norgestomet ear implants. Anim Reprod Sci 46: 237-244.
- Freitas VJF, Baril G, Saumande J (1996) Induction and synchronization of estrus in goats: the relative efficiency of one versus two fluorogestone acetate-impregnated vaginal sponges. Theriogenology 46: 1251-1256.
- Gacitua H, Arav A (2005) Successful pregnancies with directional freezing of large volume buck semen. Theriogenology 63: 931-938.
- Greyling JPC, Van der Nest M (2000) Synchronization of oestrus in goats: dose effect of progestagen. Small Rum Res 36: 201-207.
- Leboeuf B, Manfredi E, Boue P, Piaccre A, Brice G, Baril G, Broqua C, Humblot P, Terqui M (1998) Artificial insemination of dairy goats in France. Livest. Prod. Sci 55: 193-203.
- Leboeuf B, Restall B, Salamon S (2000) Production and storage of goat semen for artificial insemination. Anim Reprod Sci 62: 113-141.
- Lehloenya KC, Greyling JPC, Schwalbach LMJ (2005) Reproductive performance of South African indigenous goats following oestrous synchronisation and Al. Small Rum Res 57 : 115-120.
- Maurel MC, Roy F, Hervé V, Bertin J, Vaiman D, Cribiu E, Manfredi E, Bouvier F, Lantier I, Boue P, Guillou F (2003) Réponse immunitaire à la eCG utilis ée dans le traitement de l’induction d’ovulation chez la chèvre et la brebis. Gynecol Obstet Fértil 31: 766-769.
- Memon MA, Mickelsen WD, Goyal HO (1997) Examination of the reproductive tract and evaluation of potential breeding soundness in the buck. In: Youngquist RS (ed) Current therapy in large animal theriogenology. WB Saunders & Co., Philadelphia, pp 485-488.
- Menchaca A, Rubianes E (2004) New treatments associated with timed artificial insemination in small ruminants. Reprod Fértil Dev 16: 403-413.
- Motlomelo KC, Greyling JPC, Schwalbach LMJ (2002) Synchronisation of oestrus in goats: the use of different progestagen treatments. Small Rum Res 45: 45-49.
- Pierson JT, Baldassarre H, Keefer CL, Downey BR (2001) Seasonal variation in preovulatory events associated with synchronization of estrus in dwarf goats. Theriogenology 56: 759-769.
- Regueiro M, Pérez Clariget R, Ganzàbal A, Aba M, For- sberg M (1999) Effect of medroxyprogesterone acetate and eCG treatment on the reproductive performance of dairy goats. Small Rum Res 33: 223-230.
- Romano JE (2004) Synchronization of estrus using CIDR, FGA or MAP intravaginal pessaries during the breeding season in Nubian goats. Small Rum Res 55: 15-19.
- Salvador I, Vindes-de-Castro MP, Bernacer J, Gomez E A, Silvestre MA (2005) Factors affecting pregnancy rate in artificial insemination with frozen semen during non-breeding season in Murciano-Granadina goats: a field assay. Reprod Dornest Anim 40: 526-529.
- Whitley NC, Jackson DJ (2004) An update on estrus synchronization in goats: a minor species. J Anim Sei 82 (Suppl E): E270-E276.