Potential impact of two landfills on the near vicinity with the use of bioindicators
Treść / Zawartość
The research deals in complex with the issue of landfilling and with a possible use of biological indicators to assess the impact of landfill on its surroundings. The problem is topical as landfilling remains the most spread technology for the disposal of communal waste in the Czech Republic. Assessing the impact of the landfill on its environs, we based our study on the selected bioindicators present in 1995 and in 2007 – 2010. During the period of vegetation biomonitoring, we did not detect any significant impact of the landfills on the biotic composition of the environment and no symptoms of leaf area chlorosis or necrosis that would have indicated the direct impact of sanitary landfills operation on the locality. The Štěpánovice landfill and Kuchyňky landfill have a functional system of drains combined with the system of ground sealing and the system of seepage water drainage pits. It further has a sophisticated system to check fencing, fly-offs and to collect lightweight waste. Both landfills are constructed and operated in compliance with the most modern and strictest requirements and standards.
- Act No. 114/1992 Coll. On nature and landscape protection as amended by subsequent legislation.
- Act No. 244/1992 Coll. On the assessment of environmental impact, and subsequent legislation.
- Al-Jarrah, O., Abu-Qdais, H. Municipal solid waste landfill siting using intelligent system. Waste Management, Volume 26, Issue 3, pp. 299-306, 2006.
- Gadzała-Kopciuch, R., Berecka, B., Bartoszewicz, J., Buszewski, B. Some considerations about bioindicators in environmental monitoring. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies Vol.13, No. 5, 2004.
- Gendebien A., Pauwels M., Constant M., Ledrut-Damanet M.-J., Nyns E.-J., Willumsen H.-C., Butson J., Fabry R. and Ferrero G.-L. Potential landfill gas damages to vegetation.Landfill gas. From environment to energy. Luxembourg 1992.
- Honzík, R. Use vegetable biomarkers for assessing the effects of contaminants on agricultural production. BIOM, articles and proceedings: Foreign substances in agricultural ecosystems,Praha [online]. 1997 [cit. 2009-09-09]. Available from www:<http://stary.biom.cz/ sborniky/sb97PrVana/sb97PrVana_honzik.html>
- Housti, L. A review of waste management practices and their impact on human health. Waste Management, Volume 29, Issue 8, pp. 2227-2239, 2009.
- Jones, D.L., Williamson K.L., Owen A.G. Phytoremediation of landfill leachate. Waste Management, Volume 26, Issue 8, pp. 825-837, 2006.
- Kjeldsen, P., Barlaz, M.A., Rooker, A.P., Baun, A., Ledin, A., Christensen, T.H. Present and long-term composition of MSW landfill leachate. Critical Reviews In Environmental Scienceand Technology 32, pp. 297–336, 2002.
- Komils, D.P., Ham, R.K., Stegmann, R. The effect of municipal solid waste pretreatment on landfill behavior. Waste Management and Research 17, pp. 10–19, 1999.
- Kotovicova, J., Toman, F., Vaverková, M., Stejskal, B. Evaluation of waste landfills impact on the environment with the use of bioindicators. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies,Vol. 20, No 2, 2011.
- Kotovicová, J. Research into prevention tools to reduce the burden on the region biodegradable waste. Mendel University of Agriculture and Forestry (Brno). Habilitation thesis, 1110 s.,Brno, 2005
- Král, V. Oral communication. Štěpánovice, 2006.
- Kubát, K., Hrouda, L., Chrtek, J., Kaplan, Z., Kirschner, J. & Štepánek, J. Key to the Flora of the Czech Republic. Academia Prague, 2002.
- Randuška D., Šomšák L., Háberova I. Color atlas of plants 3rd ed MOJŽIŠ J. Bratislava, 1986.
- Schweigkofler, M., Niessner, R. Determination of siloxanes and VOC in landfill gas and sewage gas by Canister sampling and GC–MS/AES analysis. Environmental Science & Technology33, pp. 3680–3685, 1999.
- Stalmachová, B. Monitoring the impact of landfill on the fauna, flora and soil. Zdounky- Kuchyňky, MSW Landfill Kuchyňky, s. 59, 2007.
- Vaverková M., Toman F., Kotvicová J. Research into the occurrence of some plant species as indicators of landfill impact on the environment. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, 2012.