Determination of dissolved concentrations of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in river
Treść / Zawartość
This study shows the sensitivity of using silicone rubber passive sampler(SR-PS) andgas chromatography with mass spectrometer (GC-MS) detection for monitoring and identification of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in surface water systems. The analysis was performed for eighteen PAHs compounds after pre-concentration using Soxhlet extraction method. By comparison, a total of 13 PAHs were detected in the spot water samples, of which none was quantifiable. The freely dissolved PAH concentrations were found to range from 0.17 ng/L to 0.76 ng/L at Ugieriver. The use of fluorine d10 as Performance reference compound(PRC) gives a sampling rates of 8.14 (L/day) for silicone rubber passive samplers. Analysis of PAHs concentrations suggest the contaminants are mainly from pyrolytic sources. Overall it can be concluded that SR-PS are viable alternatives in the environmental monitoring of PAHs.
-  BOOIJ, K., et al., 2000. Passive Sampling of Organic Contaminants in the Water Phase.Final Report.The Netherlands Institure for Sea Research.NIOZ report 2000-5. [Online] Available from www.nioz.nl/public/nioz_reports/nioz-report_2000-5.pdf (accessed on 20/04/14)
-  BOOIJ, K., et al., 2002. Spiking of performance reference compounds in low density polyethylene and silicone passive water samplers. Chemosphere, 46, pp. 1157-1161
-  EMELOGU, E.S., et al., 2012. Investigating the significance of dissolved organic contaminants in aquatic environments: Coupling passive sampling with in vitro bioassays. Chemosphere, 90, pp. 210-219.
-  EMELOGU, E.S., et al., 2013a. Occurrence and potential combined toxicity of dissolved organic contaminants in the Forth estuary and Firth of Forth, Scotland assessed using passive samplers and an algal toxicity test. Science of the Total Environment, 461-462, pp. 230-239.
-  EMELOGU, E.S. et al., 2013b. Identification of selected organic contaminants in streams associated with agricultural activities and comparison between autosampling and silicone rubber passive sampling. Science of the Total Environment, 445-446, pp. 261-272
-  GORECKI, T. and NAMIENIK. J., 2002.Passive sampling. Trends in Analytical Chemistry. 21(4)pp. 276-291.
-  HUCKINS, J.N. et al., 1993. Lipid-containing semipermeable membrane devices for monitoring organic contaminants in water.Environmental Science and Technology.27(12) pp.2489-2496.
-  HUCKINS, J.N. PETTY and BOOIJ, K., 2006. Monitors of organic chemicals in the environment: Semipermeable Membrane Devices. Springer, New York.
-  KOT-WASIK, A. et al., 2007. Advances in passive sampling in environmental studies.AnalyticaChimicaActa.602(2) pp. 141-163.
-  KOT, A. ZABIEGADLA, B. and NAMIESNIK, J., 2000. Passive sampling for long-term monitoring of organic pollutants in water.Trends in Analytical Chemistry.19(7) pp. 446-459.
-  MADRID, Y. and ZAYAS, Z.P., 2007. Water sampling: Traditional methods and
-  new approaches in water sampling strategy. Trends in Analytical Chemistry.
-  26(4)pp. 293-299.
-  MAYER, P. et al., 2000.Sensing Dissolved Sediment Porewater Concentrations of Persistent and Bioaccumulative Pollutants Using Disposable Solid-Phase MicroextractionFibers. Environmental Science and Technology. 34(24)pp. 5177-5183.
-  RUSINA, T.P., et al., 2007. Polymer selection for passive sampling: A comparison of critical properties. Chemosphere, 68, pp. 1344-1351.
-  SMEDES, F., 2007. Chapter 19: Monitoring of chlorinated biphenyls and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by passive sampling in concert with deployed mussels. In R. Greenwood, G. Mills and B. Vrana (editors).(2007). “Passive Sampling Techniques in Environmental Monitoring.” Elsevier
-  SMEDES, F., and BOOIJ, K. 2012.Guidelines for passive sampling of hydrophobic contaminants in water using silicone rubber samplers.ICES Techniques in Marine Environmental Sciences,No. 52, PP. 1-20.
-  VRANA, B. et al., 2005. Passive sampling techniques for monitoring pollutants in water.Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 24(10), pp. 845-868.
-  VRANA, B. et al., 2006. Calibration of the Chemcatcher passive sampler for the monitoring of priority organic pollutants in water.Environmental Pollution. 142(2), pp. 333-343.
-  VRANA, B., PASCHKE, A. and POPP, P. 2006. Calibration and field performance of membrane-enclosed sorptive coating for integrative passive sampling of persistent organic pollutants in water.Environmental Pollution.144(1), pp. 296-307.
-  YATES, K., et al., 2007.Passive sampling: Partition coefficients for a silicone rubber reference phase. Journal of Environmental Monitoring, 9(10), pp. 1116-1121
-  YATES, K., et al., 2011. Application of silicone rubber passive samplers to investigate the bioaccumulation of PAHs by Nereisvirensfrom marine sediments. Environmental Pollution, 159, pp. 3351-3356
-  YATES, K., et al., 2013. Silicone rubber passive samplers for measuring pore water and exchangeable concentrations of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons concentrations in sediments. Science of the Total Environment, 463-464, pp. 988-996