Effect of Mimosa pudica cured extract against high fructose diet induced type 2 diabetes in rats
Treść / Zawartość
The study evaluated the effects of Mimusa pudica (M. pudica) leaf extract on type 2 diabetes in rats fed high fructose diet (HFD). Rats were fed either control diet or HFD for 14 days, following which the diet was fortified with M. Pudica at a dose of 500 mg/kg BW. After 8 weeks, HFD caused deleterious metabolic effects, including increased body weight, hyperglycemia, hyperinsulinemia, dyslipidemia and liver dysfunction. Further, rats fed HFD alone showed increased activities of hepatocellular enzymes in plasma and lipid deposition in liver. Treatment with M. pudica significantly reduced the body weight, improved insulin sensitivity, managed the dyslipidemia and reduced liver damage towards normal. Histopathology of the liver confirmed the changes induced by HFD and the M. pudiac treatment significantly reversed towards normality. These data suggest that M. pudica treatment improve insulin sensitivity and attenuates fat accumulation in liver.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Biotechnology, Sri Vinayaga College of Arts and Science, Ulundurpet - 606107, Tamilnadu, India
- UGC-Post Doctoral Fellow, Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar-608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
-  Aragno M, Tomasinelli CE, Vercellinatto I, Catalano MG, Collino M, Fantozzi R, Danni O, Boccuzzi G. SREBP-1c in NAFDL induced by western-type high-fat diet plus fructose in rats. Free Radical Biol Med. 2009; 47: 1067–1074.
-  Bhakuni DS, Dhar ML, Dhar MM, Dhawan BN, Mehrotra BN. Screening of Indian plants for biological activity: Part II, Indian J Exp Biol. 1969; 7: 250-262.
-  Burgi W, Briner M, Franken N, Kessler AC. One step sandwich enzyme immunoassay for insulin using monoclonal antibodies. Clin Biochem. 1998; 21: 311-314.
-  Dimo T, Rakotonirina A, Tan PV, Dongo E, Dongmo AB, Kamtchouing P, Azay J, Abegaz BM, Cros G, Ngadjui TB. Antihypertensive effects of Dorstenia psilurus extract in fructosefed hyperinsulinemic, hypertensive rats. Phytomedicine 2001; 8: 101–106.
-  Elliott SS, Keim NL, Stern JS, Teff K, Havel PJ. Fructose, weight gain, and the insulin resisitance syndrome. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002; 76: 911-922.
-  Falholt K, Falholt W, Lund B. An easy colorimetric micromethod for routine determination of free fatty acids in plasma. Clin Chim Acta. 1973; 46: 105–111.
-  Foster LB, Dunn RT. Stable reagents for determination of serum triglycerides by colorimetric hantzsch condensation method. Clin Chem. 1973; 19: 338–340.
-  Kelley GL, Allan G, Azhar S. High dietary fructose induces a hepatic stress response resulting in cholesterol and lipid dysregulation. Endocrinology 2004; 145: 548–555.
-  Moore MC, Cherrington AD, Mann SL, Davis SN. Acute fructose administration decreases the glycemic response to an oral glucose tolerance test in normal adults. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2000; 85: 4515−4519.
-  Morales MA, Jabbay AJ, Tenenzi HP. Mutation affecting accumulation of glycogen. Neurospora Newsl. 1975; 20: 24–25.
-  Rajendran RS, Hemalatha K, Akasakalai CH, MadhuKrishna, Bavan Sohil, Vittal, Meenakshi Sundaram R. Hepatoprotective activity of Mimosa pudica leaves against Carbontetrachloride induced toxicity. Journal of Natural Products. 2009; 2: 116-122
-  Reaven GM, Banting L. Role of insulin resistance in human disease. Diabetes 1988; 37: 1595-1607.
-  Reitman S, Frankel S. A colorimetric method for the determination of serum glutamate oxaloacetic and glutamate pyruvic transminases. Am J Clin Pathol. 1957; 28: 56–63.
-  Rizkalla SW, Boillot J, Tricottet V. Effects of chronic dietary fructose with and without copper supplementation on glycemic control, adiposity, insulin binding to adipocytes and glomerular basement membrane thickness in normal rats. Br J Nutr 1993; 70: 199–209.
-  Rosalki SB, Rau D. Serum gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase activity in alcoholism. Clin Chem Acta. 1972; 39: 41–47.
-  Shalam MD, Harish MS, Farhana SA, Prevention of dexamethasone- and fructose-induced insulin resistance in rats by SH-01D, a herbal preparation. Indian J Pharmacol. 2006; 38:419–422.
-  Shapiro A, Mu W, Roncal C, Cheng KY, Johnson RJ, Scarpace PJ. Fructose-induced leptin resistance exacerbates weight gain in response to subsequent high-fat feeding. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2008; 295: R1370–R1375.
-  Siedel J, Hagele EO, Ziegenhorn J, Wahlefeld AW. Reagent for the enzymatic determination of serum total cholesterol with improved lipolytic efficiency. Clin Chem. 1983; 29: 1075–1080.
-  Sleder J, Chen Y-Di, Cuilli MJ. Reaven GM. Hyperinsulimenia in fructose induced hyper triglycerdemia in rats. Metabolism. 1981; 29: 303-305.
-  Tordoff MG, Alleva AM. Effect of drinking soda sweetened with aspartame or high-fructose corn syrup on food intake and body weight. Am J Clin Nutr. 1990; 51: 963–969.
-  Trinder P. Determination of glucose in blood using glucose oxidase with an alternative oxygen acceptor. Ann Clin Biochem. 1969; 6: 24.
-  Vos PDE, Lefebvre AM, Miller SG, Guerre-Millo M, Wong K, Saladin R, Hamann LG, Staels B, Briggs MR, Auwerx J. Thiozolidinediones repress ob gene expression in rodents via activation of peroxisome proliferators-activated receptor gamma. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 1996; 98: 1004-1009.
-  Warnick GR, Nguyen T, Alberts AA. Comparison of improved precipitation methods for quantification of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol. Clin Chem. 1985; 31: 217.