Serological survey for bovine immunodeficiency virus in dairy cattle from Poland
Treść / Zawartość
A seroprevalence study of bovine immunodeficiency virus (BIV) was undertaken on 1,541 serum samples from Holstein cattle from 23 herds, located in different geographical regions of Poland. The analysis was performed using ELISA, with recombinant Gag protein of BIV as antigen. The average BIV prevalence was 4.9% in individual cattle, while the percentage of herds harboring at least one seropositive animal, was 82.6%. To demonstrate the correlation of BIV and bovine leukemia virus infection, all sera were analysed for BLV antibodies and there was only a slight association between both infections. Overall, these results show that BIV infection is present in dairy cattle in Poland at a prevalence rate found in other European countries.
- Amborski GF, Lo JL, Seger CL (1989) Serological detection of multiple retroviral infections in cattle: bovine leukemia virus, bovine syncytial virus and bovine visna virus. Vet Microbiol 20: 247-253.
- Burkala EJ, Ellis TM, Voigt V, Wilcox GE (1999) Serological evidence of an Australian bovine lentivirus. Vet Microbiol 68: 171-177.
- Carpenter S, Miller LD, Alexandersen S, Whetstone CA, Van der Maaten MJ, Viuff B, Wannemuehler Y, Miller JM, Roth JA (1992) Characterization of early pathogenic effects after experimental infection of calves with bovine immunodeficiency-like virus. J Virol 66: 1074-1083.
- Cavirani S, Donofrio G, Chiocco D, Foni E, Martelli P, Allegri G, Cabassi CS, De Iaco B, Flammini CF (1998) Seroprevalence to bovine immunodeficiency virus and lack of association with leukocyte counts in Italian dairy cattle. Prev Vet Med 37: 147-157.
- Gonda MA, Braun MJ, Carter SG, Kost TA, Bess JW Jr, Arthur LO, Van der Maaten MJ (1987) Characterization and molecular cloning of a bovine lentivirus related to human immunodeficiency virus. Nature 330: 388-391.
- Heaton PR, Johnstone P, Brownlie J (1998) Investigation of the cellular tropism of bovine immunodeficiency-like virus. Res Vet Sci 65: 33-40.
- Hirai N, Kabeya H, Ohashi K, Sugimoto C, Onuma M (1996) Immunomodulative effects of bovine immunodeficiency-like virus (BIV)-infection and mixed infection of BIV and bovine leukemia virus on sheep. Jpn J Vet Res 44: 153-163.
- Horzinek M, Keldermans L, Stuurman T, Black J, Herrewegh A, Sillekens P, Koolen M (1991) Bovine immunodeficiency virus: immunochemical characterization and serological survey. J Gen Virol 72: 2923-2928.
- Isaacson JA, Flaming KP, Roth JA (1998) Effects of long-term infection with bovine immunodeficiency virus and/or bovine leukemia virus on antibody and lymphocyte proliferative responses in cattle. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 64: 249-266.
- Jacobs RM, Pollari FL, McNab WB, Jefferson B (1995) A serological survey of bovine syncytial virus in Ontario: associations with bovine leukemia and immunodeficiency-like viruses, production records and management practices. Can J Vet Res 59: 271-278.
- Jacobs RM, Jefferson BJ, Suarez DL (1998) Prevalence of bovine immunodeficiency-like virus in bulls as determined by serology and proviral detection. Can J Vet Res 62: 231-233.
- Meas S, Kabeya H, Yoshihara S, Ohashi K, Matsuki S, Mikami Y, Sugimoto C, Onuma M (1998) Seroprevalence and field isolation of bovine immunodeficiency virus. J Vet Med Sci 60: 1195-1202.
- Meas S, Usui T, Ohashi K, Sugimoto C, Onuma M (2002) Vertical transmission of bovine leukemia virus and bovine immunodeficiency virus in dairy cattle herds. Vet Microbiol 84: 275-282.
- Moriuchi H, Moriuchi M, Fauci AS (1998) Factors secreted by human T lymphotropic virus type I (HTLV-I) - infected cells can enhance or inhibit replication of HIV-1 in HTLV-I - uninfected cells: implication for in vivo coinfection with HTLV-I and HIV-1. J Exp Med 187: 1689-1697.
- Orr KA, O'Reilly KL, Scholl DT (2003) Estimation of sensitivity and specificity of two diagnostics tests for bovine immunodeficiency virus using Bayesian techniques. Prev Vet Med 61: 79-89.
- Polack B, Schwartz I, Berthelemy M, Belloc C, Manet G, Vuillaume A, Baron T, Gonda MA, Levy D (1996) Serologic evidence for bovine immunodeficiency virus infection in France. Vet Microbiol 48: 165-173.
- Scobie L, Venables C, Hughes K, Dawson M, Jarrett O (1999) The antibody response of cattle infected with bovine immunodeficiency virus to peptides of the viral transmembrane protein. J Gen Virol 80: 237-243.
- Scobie L, Venables C, Sayers AR, Weightman S, Jarrett O (2001) Prevalence of bovine immunodeficiency virus infection in cattle in Great Britan. Vet Rec 149: 459-460.
- Snider TG, Hoyt PG, Jenny BF, Coats KS, Luther DG, Storts RW, Battles JK, Gonda MA (1997) Natural and experimental bovine immunodeficiency virus infection in cattle. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract 13: 151-176.
- StCyr Coats K, Pruett SB, Nash JW, Cooper CR (1994) Bovine immunodeficiency virus: incidence of infection in Mississippi dairy cattle. Vet Microbiol 42: 181-189.
- Straub OC, Levy D (1999) Bovine immunodeficiency virus and analogies with human immunodeficiency virus. Leukemia 13: S106-109.
- Szabo J, Beck Z, Csoman E, Liu X, Andriko I, Kiss J, Bacsi A, Ebbesen P, Toth FD (1999) Differential patterns of interaction between HIV type 1 and HTLV type I in monocyte-derived macrophages cultured in vitro: implications for in vivo coinfection with HIV type 1 and HTLV type I. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 15: 1653-1666.
- Whetstone CA, Suarez DL, Miller JM, Pesch BA, Harp JA (1997) Bovine lentivirus induces early transient B-cell proliferation in experimentally inoculated cattle and appears to be pantropic. J Virol 71: 640-644.
- Van der Maaten MJ, Boothe AD, Seger CL (1972) Isolation of a virus from cattle with persistent lymphocytosis. J Natl Cancer Inst 49: 1649-1657.
- Zheng L, Swanson M, Liao J, Wood C, Kapil S, Snider R, Loughin TA, Minocha HC (2000) Cloning of the bovine immunodeficiency virus gag gene and development of a recombinant-protein-based enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 7: 557-562.