Simulation of life raft motions on irregular wave - an analysis of situations leading to raft capsizing
Successful rescue action at sea is based on a. o. a correct choice of rescue means and their reliability. Operational characteristics of life-saving appliances determine their performance in a given water area. Therefore they affect duration time of rescue action and decide this way on survival time of shipwrecked persons. This paper presents impact of characteristics of circular inflatable life rafts on their dynamics in a given sea environment. Particular issues dealing with raft motion were analyzed and their solutions were then presented in the form of computer programs built into MATLAB environment. The programs operate on the open choice basis– the user is requested to introduce data of a raft to be investigated. The program clearly informs which units should be used for the data. The obtained results allow to limit survivours searching area and simultaneously form the basis for working out a model of searched object drift motion. In this work the use was made of the results obtained from the KBN research project No. 4T12C03827 in which an attempt was made to analyzing capsize probability of a raft at given sea states. The raft investigated in the project is also used as a reference raft in the computer programs developed in this work
- 1. Cepowski T.: Numerical modelling of seakeeping qualities of selected types of ships in preliminary desige stage ( in Polish). WNAM, Szczecin 2011.
- 2. Sobczyk K.: Stochastic differential equations ( in Polish). WNT, Warszawa 1996.
- 3. Massel S.: Hydrodynamic problems of offshore buildings ( in Polish). PWN, Warszawa 1981.
- 4. Sobczyk K.: Stochastic waves ( in Polish). PAN, WarszawaPoznań 1982.
- 5. Bielański J.: The probability analysis of the life raft capsizing on the rough sea, 16’th International Conference on Hydrodynamics in Ship Design, 3’rd International Symposium on Ship Manoeuvring, 7-10 September 2005, Gdańsk - Ostróda, Poland, pp. 219-227.
- 6. Burciu Z.: Life raft reliability in sea transport ( in Polish). Oficyna Wydawnicza Politechniki Warszawskiej, Warszawa 2011.
- 7. http://www.smart.gda.pl, (access date : 21.01.2016r.)
- 8. Krajewska, P.: Analysis and assessment of requirements for building and usage of life saving appliances in sea transport ( in Polish). Logistyka 3/2014
- 9. Sawicki J. Free surface liquid flows ( in Polish). PWN, Warszawa 1998.
- 10. White, F.: Fluid Mechanics (in English). 3rd edition, McGraw-Hill, Inc., International Edition 1994, p. 419.
- 11. Gryboś R.: A book of problems on technical mechanics of fluids ( in Polish). PWN, Warszawa 2011.
- 12. Jeżowiecka-Kabsch K., Szewczyk K.: Fluid mechanics ( in Polish). Oficyna Wydawnicza Politechniki Wrocławskiej, Wrocław 2001.
- 13. Pacześniak J.: Design of sea-going mercantile ship ( in Polish). I,II,II vol., a course book. Gdansk University of Technology, Gdańsk 1984.
- 14. Szozda Z.: Stability of sea-going ship ( in Polish). Akademia Morska w Szczecinie, Szczecin 2002.
- 15. Więckiewicz W.: Essentials of floatability and stability of merchant ships ( in Polish ) . Wydawnictwo Akademi Morskiej w Gdyni, Gdynia 2006.
- 16. Dudziak J.: Theory of ships ( in Polish). Wydawnictwo Morskie, Gdańsk 1988.
- 17. Morawski, M.: Inflatable rafts in sea rescue ( in Polish). WMG, Gdynia 1961