Recent Results of Archaeological Excavation on the Southern Edge of Wawel Hill in Cracow (the Area of the Sandomierska Tower)
The author describes the results of the archaeological excavations on the southern edge of Wawel Hill in Cracow (the area of the Sandomierska Tower). The excavations began in 1913, were resumed as late as 1953-1954 and 1959, to be continued in 1964, 1971- 1986 and 2003-2004. In 1913 two, most likely stone-and-brick, pillars were excavated as well as fragments of the so-called burgrave's house. During the next diggings remains of the early medieval earthwork were identified and also an Early Gothic rampart along with traces of a settlement at the foot of the fortification and early medieval masonry structures (including a Romanesque rotunda dating from the second half of the 11th century). The investigations carried out between 2003 and 2004 in the cellar of the Sandomierska Tower (and in the cellars of the southern part of the former Austrian hospital building) permitted the verification of the earlier findings. In the northern and southern corners of the Tower's cellar relics of the early medieval fortifications of timbered earth were found, including ramparts of earth and limestone rubble, charred beams of the sides of chest construction, negative features of pillars of the palisade, and two rows of stakes preserved in the form of negative features. Also there were found some groups of pottery pieces, including 29 rims of vessels - 20 of them being plain (without moulding), and 9 barely developed.
CEJSH db identifier